Quotes

Fran

Former desparate mom
Some great quotes here.
My kids still groan as do my nephews when I remind them: "if you always do what you always did, you always get what you always got". (not sure where I picked that up)
"I can't be bought, but I can be rewarded" : ) me.

Last edited:

trinityroyal

One of my favourites, from my husband.

"Your mistake does not constitute my emergency"
This is a great one when needing some detachment.

N

Nomad

I enjoy quotes too and have enjoyed these posted here.
Fran...that quote is often used at Weight Watcher meetings!!!! (not sure where it originated though)

InsaneCdn

"Your mistake does not constitute my emergency"

I think there must be a dozen versions of this out there.
The military version is:

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

trinityroyal

I think there must be a dozen versions of this out there.
The military version is:

"A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

Actually, IC, your version sounds a lot more like what husband actually says. Makes sense, as he has a military background. I think I've "interpreted" it over the years.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I still love the one from Labyrinth, where the Goblin King has just stolen some of Sara's time to find her baby brother.

Sara: "It's not fair!"
Jareth: "You say that so often. I wonder what your basis for comparison is."

buddy

by William Gibson--

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by a** holes.

sent to me on fg today...

DS3

My son has recently gotten in to 'Hey! Hey! Hey!' to try and get my attention. I found myself repeating something my dad use to say to me....

"Hay is for Horses... Grass is cheaper!"

CrazyinVA

Staff member
One I made up for myself years ago:
"If that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger, I ought to be Superwoman by now."

I also like:
"Progress, not perfection." (from AA I think) I've used this almost as a mantra over the years when it comes to my difficult children.

Oh, and my most recent favorite, given my ever-expanding taste for craft beer:
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." ~Benjamin Franklin. :)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
"If you have to make sure that no one is looking - then you probably shouldn't be doing it" - my advice to my children.

DS3

Hmm... I wanted to post another quote today... Let's see if I can think of one...

Grandma was great at saying "Inch by Inch is a Cinch, Yard by Yard is hard."

My latest motto: Car shopping sucks.

H

HaoZi

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children. -Seen on t-shirts and other sundry items.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. -W.C. Fields

A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished. - Zsa Zsa Gabor

Also in general, The Notebooks of Lazarus Long (Heinlein), The Devil's Dictionary (Ambrose Bierce), and anything said by Yogi Berra.

H

HaoZi

"...

Or fixing a wedgie... (is that how you spell that?)

Yes. And some things should just be done in private so you don't need to make sure no one is looking. Like wrapping presents... yeah we'll go with that one. ;)

DS3

From a FB friend, " When people walk away from you... Let them go. Your destiny is never tied to anyone, and it doesn't mean they are bad people. It just means that their part in your story is over."

Which reminds me of what I call the 'butterfly' saying. "If you love something, let it go, and if it comes back to you, love it and cherish it forever."

And of course the infamous;
People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.
(Which is actually the first part of a very inspiring poem. here's a link to the rest of it. Are you a Reason, a Season, or a Lifetime? « Life Lessons)