Rabies Epidemic

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nichole's boyfriend's neighborhood isn't that far from ours, maybe 8 blocks or so.

Their family and neighbors have had a racoon that visits daily for a couple of years. When the racoon came to visit today it was sick. Nichole said she was trying to catch it because it reminded her of Shadow when she was sick and dying. (God help me, what was she thinking?)

Evidently boyfriend or one of the neighbors had the sense to call the cops as racoon wasn't intimidated or leaving boyfriend's drive. Cop showed up and wound up having to beat it with a bat to keep it from attacking long enough to draw his gun and shoot the poor thing.

Then he told them that there is currently an epidemic of rabies in the area. To make sure all pets are vaccinated, and to beware of critters. They've been having several calls a day for rabid animals!:faint::wildone::holymoly:

This is just lovely for me as Molly, Betsy, and Rowdy are all due for rabies shots....and I haven't a clue if Bruce's previous owners ever got him shots. And of course I'm broke with no expectations of extra funds in the near future.

I think I'll call TSC and see if they happen to sell it. Giving it myself is no problem, but I don't think they do.

I'm more worried about Rowdy than the girls or cat. He's outside all the time. If I have to the girls can remain inside except to potty.

But you know, you'd think this would be something they might want to ALERT the community to for goodness sake!!:mad:

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's a good idea to see if you can get the vaccine and administer it yourself... there are some feed stores in our area that sell them. Short of that, maybe there's a low-cost vet clinic in your area?

I know there have been recent reports of a rabid bat or two found in the L.A. area not far from us. But nothing larger than that's been in the news.

Sounds like quite a significant outbreak in your area, though. Tell the kids what to look for and to be alert!

witzend

Lisa, call a feed store. They will have rabies vaccines. You will have to figure out the dosage and whether to give it intramuscularly or just under the skin.

scent of cedar

Well, THAT"S scary.

I am glad your daughter was not able to catch the rabid raccoon.

We had one do the same thing, once. We called the police, too.

The policeman shot the raccoon, and we had to wash the area where his body was with bleach solution.

Maybe you should do a bleach wash around the area where the animal died, or where it was urinating, too?

Barbara

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Barb

The officer had the kids scrub down the driveway and everywhere they saw the racoon with bleach solution. He desposed of the racoon.

Witz

Thanks for reminding me the feedstore sells vaccines, too. I'll give them a call.