Radiation treatment has begun

witzend

I'm glad to hear that you are holding up, Marg. This is so difficult, and I can't imagine what a roller coaster you must be on. Keep your strength up!

Marguerite

Thanks for that, Star.

This morning was a horrible day, weather-wise. We had to leave before sunrise and head out into torrential rain and gusty winds plus peak-hour traffic. I had slept badly so I catnapped in the car. No parking at the clinic so husband dropped me off, I grabbed difficult child 3 and got him to come in with me. I want to demystify this for him but also get through to him that it IS happening. We had told him yesterday, "You need to get up early tomorrow, we leave at 7 am."
He again asked, "Why? ANd why do you never tell me?"
We reminded him, "It's for YOUR work experience, and you DID know."
Forehead-smacking time.

But at the clinic, I didn't even get the chance to sit down. Plus when husband checked the schedule, I actually was early for today (it was the time for tomorrow, not today).
difficult child 3 asked to come in with me. Of course he was not allowed all the way, but he waited outside the changeroom. I don't use the changeroom any more. Instead, I plan ahead and wear a singlet top with built-in shelf bra. Then when I have to strip to the waist and put on the gown, I strip to the singlet top, pull the straps down, then put on the gown. And I can do that anywhere. Then I walk in to the treatment room when they come for me (and again today - no waiting, the girl who grabbed me as I walked in the door waited while I stripped for action).
So the treatment happened immediately. difficult child 3 would have seen the various lights come on outside the door (it's like a recording studio, a red "do not enter" light comes on while I'm alone and being zapped - it's only about 20 seconds, twice). I was only away from him for five minutes and as I got off the table was already climbing back into my singlet top and out of the gown. I showed difficult child 3 where I put my gown - I have a pigeonhole with my name on it, it's mine for the duration. Then we were out the door and calling husband; it all took only ten minutes, tops.

From there - into the school for difficult child 3's work experience. Considering how bad the traffic was, we got in there earlier than expected. We signed in then I went back to the car and slept for the morning. So I'm feeling moderately human.

Outside the wind is up and there are scuds of rain. it's dark now, but I can hear our miniature Southern Cross windmill squeaking badly; time to go hit it with a lube spray.

And we get to do this again tomorrow. And the next day... difficult child 3 has work experience all this week, each day. I wanted to get it over and done with early in my treatment. It's all good.

And tonight in the news - a breast cancer vaccine has been developed that will drop rates by 70%. NOW they get one!

Marg