random dog question

Steely

So, it is not as if this is a terribly important question - but since you guys are amazing I thought I would ask this doggie question that has been bothering me.

How do you get the mud off of your dog's paws when they go outside and come back in so that they do not continually track it all over your house?

See, I know, random........but yet.........perplexing!!!!
:cool-dog:
I have 3 of the little mutts, and they are continually getting the Texas mud, that is more like clay, stuck between the pads of their feet - and then they proceed to not only track it all over the house, but then little flakes of it up end on my couch, and you know my bed, because that is where they sleep :wink: (Don't tell my Mom - she would die).

So, there is my conundrum.

Yes, I have tried washing it off, every time they go out - but it really is like clay, and the water does nothing unless I get out a scrub brush - which is not entirely likely for me to do EVERY time they go out.
Any advice?

mstang67chic

Going Green
We don't have clay here but I just use a towel to wipe their paws off with. It may take a bit but with the towel I can see if I'm still coming away with mud/dirt. And if their paws are big enough, you can kind of use your finger to get inbetween the toes and pads. It's funny actually, I usually only have to do it at certain times of the year. So when that time hits and I bring out the towel, they don't like it but they will stand there and wait until I'm done. The "new" dog has even presented me with a paw or two.

DammitJanet

can you play with them in the grass and on the side walk/concrete for a bit before you bring them in so that the mud gets pretty well off their feet before they come in? Or another thought would be to train them to walk through a large cat litter box filled with water for a soak before its time to come in and then you towel dry their tootsies on the way in the house.

I dont have that problem here because we are sandy soil and the dogs have to come up a set of steps and they run across a piece of carpet and it falls off. That plus who could tell since the carpets are trashed anyway...lol.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Since our backyard has yet to be landscaped..... When it rains it's a mud pit out there. And guess where my inside doggies go???

I drag out the towel whenever it rains. Always have. My dogs are trained from puppyhood to accept having their feet wiped with the towel. (and their bodies if they're wet or muddy) If the towel gets trashed (which in spring it doesn't take long) I just toss it in the washer and start with a new one.

Never thought of diaper wipes. But I doubt it would work on my dogs big feet. lol And it would take forever, so while they are good about it their patience doesn't last too long.

Or you could do what my Mom did..... (I still can't believe this)......She trained her dog to go potty on the paper in the garage during bad weather cuz she didn't want to have to clean him off. :rofl:

Now with poor Betsy, our basset/lab mix, you don't just do her feet. She's so low to the ground you have to do her belly each and every time too. :rofl: And I swear she glares at Molly who only takes about a minute to wipe clean.

F

flutterbee

Well, apparently none of your babies had really sticky poop. :rofl: If diaper wipes work on that stuff, it'll work on mud.

Diaper wipes work wonderfully. Our soil - while not clay like we had in Georgia - is still pretty clay-like.

goldenguru

Couple of thoughts - in the summer I keep a rubbermaid container at the back door with soapy water. Actually make my dear put all 4's in the soapy water. Then I dry good with a towel.

What about the hose? The water pressure might remove some of that sticky stuff.

What we don't do for our 4 legged friends huh?

K

Kjs

Lol..my chloe only needs to be told "wipe your feet" and she will go up and down the runner rug in the kitchen. The pup..she's a whole other story.

Getting ready for our second round of heat with the puppy. Still haven't found a vet to fix her and make payments. All want full payment.

Star*

call 911........call 911
They do make little rubber dog boots - and yes I would use them. You just have to ask yourself

Is it easier to pick clay out of 12 paws or

Is it easier to strap on 12 boots?

-My vote is boots. They make them for ALL dog sizes. It works great for aging dogs with arthritis and snow and cold too.

F

flutterbee

Plus, you'll have the added bonus of watching them walk funny.

Never forget to factor in the entertainment! :rofl:

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG HEATHER! That was a three snorter! (vision of smallish 137lb dog shaking each paw with every foot step to get boot off)

yes ......(snort) factor in the entertainment value.

ROFLMbootsOFF :bravo:

Steely

:rofl:
See.............boots is exactly what I was thinking too!!!! But then.........how on earth am I gonna keep the boots on them? I know them, and they would do exactly what you said Star, run around with one paw or another in the air, trying to shake the boot off all day.
And then if I put them on only when they went out, it would be like having 6 toddlers that have to take their shoes on and off a million times a day. Oh big SIGH :laugh: Although funny, funny imagery!

Seriously though - 2 of the dogs are puppies who want to play and wrestle 24/7 - which outside is the place to do it, but then they have mud caked in between their paw pads that takes a crow bar to remove!!! I am thinkin' boots, seriously - either that or getting a nail brush and making them sit and wait every time they come back in, for me to scrub their paws. Because water, wipes, none of that works very well.

witzend

I have a hook by the back door outside under the eaves and when I open the door I block it with my body and wipe off each foot before they get to come all the way in. There's a throw rug by the door that they can step one foot onto until I get them wiped down.

It's been raining here since July, so the towel stays pretty damp just from moisture in the air. Our ground is total clay, and a labrador in the rain can get really muddy.

F

flutterbee

T -

You find everything. Upside down Christmas trees, paw plungers.

OMG! WW, I think you should get the paw plunger. That looks way more fun than the booties! I can just see me trying to wrestle my dog's foot into that thing! You know, the dog that has to be sedated and muzzled to get her nails trimmed! *snort* No way she would let me do that. No way, no how, nuh-uh. I'd be wearing the contents of the paw plunger.

But, I might get it and make the kids try it. You know...just for the entertainment value. :rofl:

(Disclaimer: The dog doesn't bite...just warns when you go near her nails.)

Star*

call 911........call 911
OMG it looks like my coffee cup - and I can SEE where that would go at 6:00 AM. Toto= you are amazing with the things you come up with.

HOw about - remodeling your mud room to include a dog shower/bath ?

-I saw that on This old house or flip this house, or something this house - the lady had dogs, and wanted a shower put in so she could bathe them there - and wash their little paws as they came in from the dirt.

Other than that? Maybe during the winter months - you could fence off an area with some Hog wire and cheap $3.00 posts and put nothing but mulch - have about a ton delivered - then just let them play and potty there - clean up the potty after each outside visit so no one steps in poop and drags it in?

I dunno.

In my next house I'm having a mud grate put in the mudroom. You walk over it and it activates a sensor that s.u.c.k.s. the dirt off the bottom of your shoes and you pull the pan out from outside the house and empty it. We installed one years ago in an office building and they would have someone clean out the grate - but the marble floors stayed SO beautiful.

Steely

:faint: OMG!!! You guys crack me UP!!!

The paw plunger!!!! You have no idea how hard I just laughed!!! It looked like a bad Sat night live skit!!! But, yet, I am tempted to try it!! :shocked: Seriously!

A mud grate??? That sounds cool too! I have never heard of that either.

And yes, I think I should spend the money to add on a mud room for my dogs................not :wink:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Even my well trained girls wouldn't let me come near them with the dog plunger thingie. :smile:

Boots.....Maybe Molly would try it....maybe.....No way would Betsy. lol She'd have them chewed off in no time flat.

WW the trick to getting your dog to enjoy having their nails trimmed is to be feeding them cheese while doing the trimming. Cheese is the anti-anxiety doggie remedy. My dogs will do ANYTHING for a slice of cheese.

Well, I don't have to trim Molly's nails. She bites her own nails. :rofl: