Rat Poison - husband just informed me

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
his dog ate rate poison this afternoon. He doesn't think it was much, and not sure what kind.

Its too late to induce vomiting.

Knowing the Broom's, it came from a particular farm store, and the only kinds they sell are the more fatal types - brodifacoum, most likely, instead of warfarin or coumadin.

Not sure he'll be very excited to take her to the vet. I will probably take her.

Question is, can I wait til morning? And should I go get some vit K to get in her now?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have to agree with TM. Hard to tell how "little" will be lethal. Shadow eating a mouse that ate it was enough to kill her. By the time I caught on it was too late to take her to the vet. And it was horrible. :( Hope the dog turns out ok.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I lost a cat several years back that had eaten a mouse that had eaten mouse poison. I'd go with the ER clinic. Our cat basically bled out. It was horrible and waiting until the next day was too late to start Vit K therapy (needs to be given IV; the oral stuff won't do the job quickly enough)

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
She's doing just fine. Much to my suprise, husband very willingly let me take her to the vet (as in, I think he'd have taken her if I didn't suggest it).

We watched her thru the night, with strict instruction that if she started to exhibit ANY off or unusual behavior, to take her in immediately, and call on the way, not before we come. Since there was no sign of anything thru the night, they are pretty sure all is well, but husband let me take her in, anyway, so someone can watch her today. Plus they went ahead and gave her a jumpstart of K since husband is sure she ingested at least some of the poison.

AND - the two precious little doggies I found on the highway yesterday are to be reunited with their owner today. The injured one is going to be eating soft food for a while, but, he's alive, and considering he was hit by a car traveling 60-70mph, its a happy ending for them, too!

TerryJ2

Wow, what a week with-animals!

I am so sorry about your dog. But glad it wasn't enough to be life threatening. I'm glad you went to the vet.

Glad you had a happy ending for the other dogs! Way To Go!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Its so incredibly stupid, but the way the one little doggie was protecting the other one...I know I'm a nut, anyway, but that just got me. And they were just so "precious". Its a darned good thing I already have dogs, or I'd be tempting their owner!