Rather irked at the state's requirements.

Californiablonde

Good idea, Insane. I will ask. She is a much better swimmer than runner. If these requirements were to exist back in the day when I was in school, I wouldn't have graduated either. I was a very slow runner and absolutely terrible in sports. I was ever so grateful when my junior year came around and I didn't have to take PE any longer. I used to get bad anxiety over PE. I was so uncoordinated in sports that I was always picked last for teams. I hated team selection. I loved it when we had to do swimming for six weeks because there were no teams and I was a pretty good swimmer thanks to years of swimming lessons. I was terrible in everything else. I couldn't run, throw, or catch worth a darn. My class mates resented having me on their team. I always got so embarrased getting picked last. To me the message was, "You're a loser and nobody wants you." Talk about self esteem issues!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I moved across the country between my freshman and sophomore years... And the requirements were different so I ended up having to take 4 weeks of PE in summer school. Enh. Yech.

CB... I was always the last picked too. It was awful.

svengandhi

Su Zir -

My son said his feet hurt so the next day the teacher made him do the 1/4 mile again and, again, he did it in exactly 20 minutes. The teacher found this so amazing because difficult child didn't have a watch or a cell phone and there was no clock since they were outside that he called H to tell him about it. Since difficult child said his feet hurt, I took him to the doctor and she said he had flat feet and recommended New Balance shoes, which he's worn ever since. He passed gym because he participated in all other activities and aced all of the tests.

In HS, he took outdoor skills gym where he still had to run the mile, but his epic failure at that was balanced out by the fact that his scouting experiences made him a great asset to the class. Once he got the new sneakers, he tried to run, but couldn't. He is 19 now and plays basketball, soccer and ultimate Frisbee with his friends. He walks miles at a time, but will never run.

My H used to run 10k's and bike 50 miles at a time. I can't run and have never been able to, even when I weighed 100 pounds. My body just can't form the motions of running and neither can my son. I also can't ride a bike, though my son is good at that. In HS, I mastered the 30 day period in my 200 student gym class. Each week, I would approach a different teacher (there were 5) and tell her I had my period. In those days, they didn't make you change if you were menstruating. I did try to participate several times. In 9th grade, we did gymnastics. My teacher thought everyone should be Olga Korbut, that year's Olympic sensation. A very heavy girl was in front of me on the line for the even bars. She literally became wedged in and they cracked her shoulder trying to extract her. After she was removed, the teacher looked at me and said "Next!" I fainted. In 10th grade, I tried volleyball. At the net, my glasses were smashed into my face. In 11th grade, the same thing happened playing basketball. When I was a senior, someone tripped over me and broke my foot. I guess they couldn't break my glasses that year, because I'd just gotten contacts a week earlier. The only good thing about that was that I didn't have to do gym the rest of my senior year. I believe in fitness but gym class is the 12th circle of heck, as far as I'm concerned.

Even though I wasn't a top student in math (except on the standardized tests), I never felt as humiliated as I did in gym class. My music teacher told me to memorize the songs and mouth the words in order to pass, my art teacher promised me a minimum of 85 if I cleaned the classroom every day and at year's end, I got an 85. Those experiences were not anywhere as humiliating as being in gym class. At least in those days, it was gender-segregated. I would probably have killed myself if I had to do gym class with boys in it.

Believe me, I understand the need for fitness. I became obese when I passed 40 and am trying to be more physically active. I walk more and dance around my room, but I will NEVER run and I fail to understand why running is something that should be graded. I encourage my kids to be active. Only my daughter runs, none of the boys enjoys it at all.

Sorry for the vent but PE and organized sports are something I just despise.

L

Liahona

The school here has pe on difficult child 1's schedule for next semester. I am dreading it.

DammitJanet

I am a huge sports fan and put my boys in every one of them they wanted to be in. Only the youngest two were nuts about sports. Oldest is extremely obese and I blame it on the fact that he was allowed to sit in front of screens from the time he was in 7th grade. Not by me but from my mother. I made a huge mistake when he was in 7th grade and sent him to live with her because he was being extremely bullied here. The bullies even gave him a hairline fracture of his jaw! That was my last straw and I sent him down to her. Back then I didnt know I could have had him change schools.

Now Jamie would get along well with Suzir. If you know anything about Marine Boot Camp you know that running is something they expect you to do, and do well. Jamie knew going in that he had to run and he started running long distance track in his freshman year. He ran 3 miles every morning before school and 5 miles every afternoon. He was one of the only ones when he got to boot that could do the running without a problem. In the Marines they run 25 miles at a time. There is a certain time they have to come in under but I dont remember it now. He was always one of the first in. As a cop he has to be able to run now too. I doubt he is as fast as he was at 18 and 19 but I have no doubt he could still run at least 5 or more miles without a hitch.

What I dont understand is he isnt making his own kids be that active. He has couch potatoes for kids. They arent happy if they dont have a gaming system going or if they dont have a tablet/cell phone in their hands.

I wont allow that with my other two grandchildren. I keep monkey involved in something...like now its gymnastics. When she was 4 it was dance. I would have her playing a sport too but they dont want her to do anything else after school so she can do homework. In my opinion they are making her do too much homework. Supposedly she has some sort of learning disability where she cant remember things from one day to the other. Personally I havent seen that. However since they said she needs to read more, I have downloaded a ton of children's books on our tablet with the Kindle app. I will see for myself how well she can read. Maybe she just isnt interested in what they have her reading.

Now as far as math, Im lost now since they changed the way you have to do math. I cant do it the way they now teach it. Im hoping some of the math apps work for her. One thing I am going to refuse to let happen to her is for her not to know her multiplication tables by heart. I hate the way they just put a cheat sheet on the desk and the kids dont have to really learn them. I will quiz her until she knows them flat out.