Rattle a few beads for a dear friend, please.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
My best girlfriend is currently at the emergency clinic with her elderly cat. Please rattle some beads, send good juju, whatever that the old guy survives, or if not, that my bff is able to deal with losing him. She and the old guy are very bonded and losing him will be devasting for her.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
She just called. He dodged a bullet this time. The poor old cat suffers from megacolon which is where the nerves in the colon stop working normally and stool backs up. He's had to be flushed out before with colonics and is on laxatives, a colon stimulating drug, and eats pumpkin mixed in his food.

They were able to clean him out with standard enemas this time so no anesthesia required, just some sedation.

Now BFF needs different juju. She's got to learn how to give him subcutaneous fluids to help with this and she's afraid of needles!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well, under vet supervision, she managed to stick a big needle in her fur baby without passing out, so that's a start.

DDD

Glad she's been able to take steps forward. I am not a "needle" (or medical, for that matter) person so she has my sympathy. I cope with emotional crisis better than most but even helping a nurse to hold down a toddler for a shot resulted in a headache and nausea.

by the way, How Are YOU? I haven't read an update on your life in quite a while...or I've forgotten due to old age! DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm hanging in there. Seem to be off the medication merry-go-round and on a combo that works for the most part. I've finally come to accept that normal isn't going to happen, and fairly functional is ok.

Back in june of 2011, I had to put my beloved Gryphon down. He was a German Shepherd and developed a brain tumor in the amygdala that was causing rage seizures. He was otherwise healthy but had become a danger to others.

That threw me into a tailspin that took a long time to come out of.

Other than that, I pooped along for a bit...got another cat to keep Jake the siamese mix company. Her name is Squeaky and she's a sweetie. She's a little brown tabby being who was born with a deformed, blind eye. I had the vet remove the eye as it was constantly infected and hurting her all the time. She and Jake have bonded which is sweet to see.

Okay...my sister has finally decided to divorce the sociopathic jerk she's been married to for 30 years. Makes me realize all over how ****ed lucky I was to have had my husband for 24 years. He died too young, only 44, but I wouldn't trade what we had for the world.

Friday, I bought a car. Traded my 2002 Toyota 4-runner in on a 2012 Toyota Rav4. It's got 32K miles on it and was part of Toyota's rental fleet so I know it was serviced properly and any recall work was done. It's perfect inside and out and I'm in love.

I was worried about my credit being good enough to finance a car as I just started trying to get re-established 4 years ago. To my surprise, not only did I have a FICO score between good and excellent, but I got a four year loan at 1.9%.

The new car is cherry red and I'm in love.

So that, in a novella is what is going on with me.

tiredmommy

I'm so sorry to hear about Gryphon; I know you were both very attached to each other. Everything else sounds good... don't be such a stranger!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
TM, I've been a stranger out of insecurity. My writing style is such that I sometimes tend to come off as cold or uncaring, which is the last thing this board needs.

I've been reading posts but that fear has kept me from responding. I'll try to be "softer" in my tone, but please don't hesitate to let me know if I'm not handling things as I should.

An awful lot of this stuff for me is learned behavior not instinctive. I'm very empathic but have a hard time putting that into words.

The last thing I want to do is come off as if I'm kicking someone who is down.

InsaneCdn

You're not the only one, GN.
I have to be careful too, and there's others as well.

LOTS of us are difficult children in our own right, and didn't necessarily get the benefits that "our" difficult children get. Which means... some of us have more empathy than others.

I'm starting to learn to not respond to vents and such, because that usually calls for more empathy.
Posts seeking information... aren't quite so touchy.
JMO, of course.