Rattle some doggy beads?

mstang67chic

Going Green
I am taking my older dog, Taz, in to the vet in about an hour. He's 12 and the past couple of years has progressively gotten more and more stiff in his hind legs. It's been getting worse lately and with the vet's permission I started giving him an aspirin a day but it doesn't seem to be helping. This morning I let him and the other dog out but when I went to let them in, he couldn't do it. He was way out in the yard just sitting there. He would struggle to his feet, attempt a step or two and his back legs would give out. husband and difficult child had to go out and basically support his back end so he could get up the few steps to the porch and into the house. He still wasn't able to walk when I left for work but I spoke with husband later in the morning and he said Taz was walking then. husband got the vet appointment. set up before he went to work and since I've been home, he's been walking but it seems to be very difficult as well as painful.

I'm really hoping that this is something that can be helped with a cortisone shot or something of that nature. I know he's older but I don't think I'm ready to put him down yet. I will if he's in pain and it isn't fixable but it's going to be hard. husband and I got him as a puppy 5 months after we got married and we've had him longer than we've had difficult child!

Please keep your fingers crossed.

:cool_dog:

susiestar

Roll With It
Praying for your furry baby. There are a number of new medications out there that are better than aspirin for dogs. Our doxie took one as she had a knee problem from abuse before we got her. It started with a T, can't remember the name. But it was amazing, and much much more effective than aspirin.

Hope the doctor can fix him up/

Hugs,

Susie

mstang67chic

Going Green
We're back. Short of confirming it with x-rays, the
vet is confident that Taz is pretty arthritic in his
hips as well as his spine. She pressed on his spine
just north of hips and he dropped like a stone. She
gave me some pain pills to try on him (Previcox) but
she didn't sound too optimistic. She said we should
be able to tell in 2-3 days if the pills help.

Thanks for the thoughts and bead rattling!

witzend

Hope the medication will help. I know that they are very expensive. Price them online for now, and if you and your doctor decide that they do work, talk to him about the cost of buying from him, and don't be shy about asking him to fill them through an online pet pharmacy.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I handed the beaded leash to both our boys -

And we're rattling hard for Taz.

Hugs to your furperson.

Star, Ghost and Wooley

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks everyone. I gave him his first dose of the pain medication last night and it seemed to help. He was still having issues with the strength in his legs but definately seemed to feel better.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm glad the pain medications seem to be helping. I hope they do, poor baby.

It's awful when our fur babies are sick or in pain. Mine always look at me like, "Well, Mom... Make it better, please." Breaks my heart.

Rowdy and Molly are showing definate signs of arthritis. Rowdy is staying more and more in his doghouse during bad weather. And Molly limps and is grouchy if she's left out too long on bad days. Which is a shame cuz they were both huge fans of snow.

Keeping body parts crossed the pain medications work for him.

Hugs

TerryJ2

I missed this the first time around, Mstang. So sorry. I know how it is when they get old like this, and ea time you go to the vet, it's with-a huge feeling of dread and trepidation. I'm glad you're able to help your dog stay out of pain for the time being. I've got my fingers crossed.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Thanks.

The pills seem to be helping his pain but it's the weirdest thing. I've been giving him the pills in the evening with tonight being the third night. He started vomiting today. The first time was just a little bit but later I found a large amount. With the timing, I have to wonder if it's related to the medication. But the strange thing is that he didn't do this until after 2 doses and it wasn't soon after taking the pill. It didn't happen until 12-16 hours AFTER taking it. The normal dose is 1 1/2 pills so tonight we only gave him one pill. I'll watch him tomorrow and then call the vet Monday to see what she says.