Re: ADHD and extreme defiance in 5 year old. I NEED HELP!

vchaffin

my 3 1/2 yr old has been on clonidine for over a yr now because of night terrors, instead of up one time a night she was up at least 7 per night.since she was 18 months. it does help her go to sleep but dont keep her asleep. she just recently had a sleep study 2 yrs later now waiting on results. she has been on adderal and it done reverse reaction on her bounced her off the walls.the next medicine was folicine tried uping the dosage and it done nothing so she was put on buspar (anxiety) it helped keep her asleep along with the clonidine but it increased her appitiet majorly and done nothing for during the day. so he uped that dosage and she got very aggressive saying things that i have never heard come out of her mouth. so i took her off that myself called her pshyciatrist to call me back and he never did. no diagnosis on anything yet and it just keeps getting worse.

T

TeDo

I welcomed you over on General Parenting but now I will respond to this post. Who is prescribing these medications for your little one? You say there is no diagnosis yet they are prescribing medications that are typically for specific diagnoses. Adderall and Focalin are typically used to treat ADD/ADHD. Clonidine is usually used to treat ADHD and anxiety/panic disorder. Buspar is usually used as an antidepressant or anti-anxiety. It seems strange that a doctor would prescribe these medications without a diagnosis especially for a 3 year old. If you haven't taken your child to a child psychiatrist, I would definitely do that.

What kinds of behaviors does your child display? What kinds of situations lead to these behaviors? Let us know more about your child so we can support you better. Again, welcome to the family. You have come to a great place. The parents here have a wealth of knowledge and experience. You will learn a lot and can find lots of help and acceptance.

BusynMember

Do you think your child is correctly diagnosed?

We found Adderrall to be a very harsh medication. I don't care much for stims in general. JMO

keista

Well, keep calling the psychiatrist until you get a hold of him/her, or just find another one. Especially for such a young child you need good communication with your child's prescribing physician.

(((((HUGS))))))

vchaffin

I put the summary on the other page its in her charts as of right now adhd but as he says with other issues. so he was trying adhd medications then the anxiety medications non worked. The clonodine is for her night terrors.