Re-heating rice

klmno

What's the best way to reheat rice that isn't mixed with anything? With bread, I sprinkle a tiny bit of water on it and stick it in the MW for about 20 secs- would this be the same?

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Whatever I need to reheat in the MW, I put a damp papertowel on top of it. I reheat rice all the time and it works ok - it also works on toast/bagels that have gotten hard.

Marcie

donna723

I put it in a bowl with a spoonful or two of water, cover it with plastic wrap, and microwave it. Comes out fine!

LittleDudesMom

I put both leftover rice and pasta in a baggie then the fridge. When it comes time to reheat, I just pop it in the microware and it stays moist in the bag.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Umm, just a word of caution ... make sure you are using microwaveble compatible plastic wrap. The wrong kind of plastic is carcinogenic. It's fine when it's room temperature; it's inert. But when it's heated, it becomes activated and carcinogenic.
So, just a teaspoon of water on the rice, in a glass container, is best.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
For a change of taste, you could put the leftover rice into a large frying pan and add some butter and slowly heat it that way. Nice flavor and no micro.

Marguerite

I cook my rice in the microwave oven. I put it in a covered container with something underneath to catch any overflow. I then cover the rice with enough water to cover the rice plus my index finger on top of the rice to the depth of the first joint. For brown rice, I add a little more, halfway to the next joint.

I then use the microwave's full power setting to bring it all to the boil, then I use a lower power to keep the rice on a gentle simmer for 10 to 20 minutes, or until it's done. The taste test, of course. Always fluff up the rice when it's done. Get it right, and there's no water to drain off.

Also, the Asian method is to only use rice and water. No salt.

Reheating - it's only a variation on this. If the rice seems a bit dry or glued together a bit, a splash of water (tablespoon or two) will help it unglue itself.

Marg