Re. security clearance process

klmno

I put this question in another thread a few days ago but I think it got lost. LOL!

I have been told it could take 1-2 mos to investigate and determine if I get a clearance. I did NOT lie on my application so I don't need to worry about something coming in and surprising anyone. If I wrote something on the application that would disqualify me for the clearance, would they wait that long to tell me?

bby31288

I don't know. Here where I am. They usually do a quick check. Then they will give an interim clearance so you can start working sooner. A memo gets typed up and goes to security and they approve it. You then have an interim clearance. This happens after you hand in the paperwork but before your actual clearance comes.

bby31288

I think they have an idea if it will go thru or not. I'm hearing that most of the time they go thru. As long as you were honest, etc from the beginning. I will reach out and find out what I can from here. I technically work for the Department of Defense. What branch of the government are you going to? I have the rather large task of informing my security department of my recent home issues. My boss said I need to inform them before they find out as a matter of public record.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The interim clearance can take months, to be honest. A lot of times they do a "NAC" first, a Network Access Clearance, which is a quick check for major red flags. Major rap sheets, etc.

If they don't find anything there, they can take up to two years to do a full Clearance.

My friends just recently got letters from the Dept of Homeland Security asking neat questions. I have been here for 6 1/2 years.

klmno

bby- my financial/home issues are the concerns I have, too. Of course, I asked him about this and he told me to list it and add what I was doing to address it- which was only talking to the companies until I find a job and can commit to repayment. Anyway, I'm really trying to find out if anyone can tell me if I am going to have to wait 1-2 months to find out if this ruins my chances for the job. Will they know and tell me within a couple of weeks if this disqualifies me?

I'd be a federal employee for the DOD.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have to believe that they won't be able to tell you since they won't necessarily have the info to qualify or disqualify you for a while.
I know I have been called and visited when a security clearance was done of brother post 9/11. They spoke to several people brother listed.
Being up front about your situation seems like a smart thing to do. They will find out anyhow and then they think you are keeping things from them instead of being out in front of the fact checkers.

klmno

OK- if they see the application/paperwork and say to themselves "a person who has a house about to go into foreclosure cannot get a clearance", would they notify me then or keep going with the process of talking to people, getting documents in, etc., then tell me 2 months from now?

Let's just hope my mom doesn't blow this for me to keep difficult child closer to her and prevent a move to HI.

bby31288

klmno, I posed your question to a girl I know in our security department. Just looking for some roundabout guidance. I will let you know what she comes back with. The reasoning for the security issue because of finacial concerns, is it puts you at risk for underhanded people to try and persuade you to give them information in exchange for cash. Basically I could lose my job as soon as I inform them. The basis of my job is that I can get (in the first place) and maintain a secret clearance. The task of telling them is not going to go well. For one I know i'm going to break down and cry.

klmno

Thank you! I wish you luck- I had read the reason for financial issues hampering the clearance. Obviously, if you're handling federal money they need to know you are financially responsible. But, I hope that when it's just an issue that they need to know you wouldn't sell secrets to get money due to personal debt, that they take into consideration previous credit history and the fact that you are honest and forthcoming with them- which one would not do if they were going to sell secrets. Now, if they've just made it a policy then I can't see taking the time and money to continue the process and waiting that long to inform the person.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I had a not-too-long-ago bankruptcy on mine in 2003.

Got my clearance anyway.

So... It's something.

DammitJanet

Jamie had to have a secret security clearance when he went into the Marines. Not top secret but secret. He was going for top but he didnt need that just for his job. Obviously at 18 and then 19, he couldnt have had that much financial info on him. They did do a pretty thorough search on him and talked to his school, his friends, us, his grandfather, and his former employers. The things we were most afraid of were my bipolar and Corys criminal history. Neither of those things even came up. We actually saw his military record which showed his clearance and nothing was in there about us.

klmno

I got the same thing when I went in the military, Janet- many years ago! Unfortunately, it was so many years ago that he told me they had to start completely over. I put in my paperwork that my bro and I are estranged and please don't release any personal info to him (like the job I'm trying to get or where I would be going). Still, I am worried about what my bro and mother will tell them, but I can explain that part. They can B***H about me, but nobody said your family had to like you to have a clearance. Everything I've done wrong, the feds already know. LOL! Hopefully, now that I've been on my own for 30 years and haven't even lived in the same town as any family, they will just run the standard checks on my family members and get the character input from those listed- references, neighbors, previous employers, military record.

Thanks Step- that makes me feel a little better. Like Jamie, the first time I got a clearance I was young and they had nothing to go on except what came in with school records, what people said, etc. This time, I have a "history" on my application.

DammitJanet

You know, they didnt even tell us why they were asking us about Jamie. If we hadnt known he was in the military and getting this clearance we wouldnt have had a clue why we were getting asked these questions.