re: what to do now?? -- Look what SD has to do now!!!!!

skm2

Just wanted to thank you all for your support. This forum helped me advocate for my child. Please see original post below. We Called to complain (about the complaint below) to the State Board of Education who informed us that Federal law overides SD policy. The SD was in direct violation of the IEP. We complained yesterday to the State Board and today we were informed by the SD that My child CAN retake the test WITH the appropriate acommodations. We were also informed that all the IEPs in the district will be pulled and the children who should have had acommodations will be retested WITH those acommodations.

original post:
Has this ever happened to any of you???

I just posted yesterday because the SD has not been implementing the IEP for our 4th grade son with High-Functioning Autism (HFA). This last failure to implement has me burning up. His IEP clearly states and I quote,

“Student will participate in the District Local assessments with the following
accommodations.”

"Taken in the learning support classroom with smaller testing groups, extended time,
frequent breaks, directions read aloud and clarified, and further accommodations
as per assessment specifications."

Well for 3 days my son took cognitive abilitites test in the regular classroom with no accomodations. We emailed the teacher on day 2 but got no response. Today I emailed the sp. ed. teacher and this was her reply --I quote

Dear Mrs. M_____,

The test that M_______ took were the Cognitive Abilities test. Every student
takes these tests and there are no accommodations provided for the students.
This is an ability test, which students take without accommodations.

Sincerely,

Melissa B_______

Can they just override the IEP like this??? Any suggestions??

Kathy

--------------------
momtomichaelryan

Sheila

[ QUOTE ]
We Called to complain (about the complaint below) to the State Board of Education who informed us that Federal law overides SD policy. The SD was in direct violation of the IEP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like you got a hold of someone on the State level that knows the law. Good deal!

[ QUOTE ]
We were also informed that all the IEPs in the district will be pulled and the children who should have had acommodations will be retested WITH those acommodations.

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet the sd loved that. lol

You've helped more children in your school district than you know. :warrior:

Parents must monitor to see to it that IEPs are being followed. There are too many student's and not enough assistance for teachers. Then you have those sd's that are just ODD.