REAL pumpkin pie recipe

mstang67chic

Going Green
So says the one I used today. But if you like custard-ish stuff, here it is! LOL

Ingredients:

1 medium sugar pumpkin (I bought a pie pumpkin that weighed about 4 1/2 - 5 lbs and that size seemed to work well)

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon salt
3 cups evaporated milk (2 12 oz cans are just the right amount)
4 eggs, beaten
2 (9 inch) unbaked pie crusts

Preheat oven to 400F/200C

Cut out top of pumpkin and clean out all seeds and strings from inside. Slice pumpkin vertically into 3 inch wide strips. Place strips onto a baking sheet.

Bake in preheated oven for about 1 hour. Once done, scrape the pumpkin from the skins, then beat with a mixer or puree in a food processor until smooth.

Preheat oven to 425F/220C

Mix the nutmeg, ginger, salt, evaporated milk and eggs with the pumpkin puree. Pour mixture into two 9 inch pie crusts.

Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temp to 350F/175C and bake for an additional 35 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool and refrigerate.

When I baked the pumpkin, the skins came off very easily. I just peeled that off and cut off any bits that were a little too done. I also cut it up once it was in the bowl to make it easier to use the mixer.

Just remember....this is not a sweet pie. It's not bad, it's just not what husband and I are used to and we didn't much care for it.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I think you can just add 3/4 C or more of sugar to sweeten it up a bit. It sounds very close to the traditional Libby canned pumpkin pie recipe (using the plain canned pumpkin). I've always wondered how to use a fresh pumpkin instead of the canned. But in all honesty, the canned is just as nutritious and much less hassle for me!

DammitJanet

I think there should have been some sugar in the pie. Even when we make sweet potato bread or pie I think you add a small amount of sugar but then we are from the south. I would have to look at the canned pumpkin pie filling but I am sure it has sugar and vanilla in it.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
"Sugar Pumpkins" a specialized variety bred to have considerably more sugar in the flesh than the regular 'pie pumpkins'.

I wonder if that wasn't the problem with your pies?

mstang67chic

Going Green
That could be....I wondered later. The only thing is....around here the stores have two kind of pumpkins. Carving and what is labeled pie pumpkins. I'll dig around and see what other recipes I can find. Like I said though...this one wasn't BAD.....it just wasn't what I wanted or expected.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Stang. If you are IN, you should call around to some of the orchards and 'pick your own' pumpkin patch places.

As in advance if they have sugar pumpkins. IIRC, they are really small and have really thick flesh. The breed was developed specifically for baking.

If no sugar pumpkins, you should be able to add sugar to mix. I might go half white sugar and half brown sugar. I think it would give the pie a better taste as well as a nice carmalized surface.

If you decide to go the canned pumpkin route, just remember that solid pack is nothing but cooked, pureed pumpkin. The pumpkin filling has the spices already mixed in.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
pumpkin is essentially in the squash family, so essentially you made "squash pie". Probably very nutritious, but not necessarily dessert material....... Don't know if it would be worth it to me to find sugar pumpkins, but then I'd rather have pecan pie.......

Yum, I love pumkin pie, kudos to all of you. I'm too lazy to even make it with canned pumpkins- I like to buy it frozen, Mrs Smith's or Sara Lee. -add some Cool Whip and there you go!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I am told that Sam's Club carries a good pumpkin pie as well, but the things are enormous.

Cool-Whip? Eeeeewwww...that stuff is nothing but whipped hydrogenated shortning with lots of sugar mixed in.

Real whipped cream hasn't got all the trans-fats, has calcium and protein, etc. It's not something one should eat often due to the high butterfat content, but for occasional use it is actually healthier than the so-called whipped toppings.

Hey, I freakin' love Cool Whip on pumkin pie! I never buy it, but for that on Thanksgiving. I weigh less than 100 pounds, and eat healthy all year long- sometimes you gotta live a little and indulge(plus I buy the sugar free/fat free version). I'm sure we all eat way worse!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Cool Whip to me tastes like a mouthful of whipped, sweetened and vanilla flavored Crisco. Disgusting stuff.

To each their own, I guess.