Reality smacking husband out of his pity party.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
husband is working from home today and had a dentist appointment early this afternoon. When he came back, he seemed to be more communicative, cheerful, relaxed and not feeling sorry for himself like he has since his dressing-down on Sunday.

Seems the dentist has told him he's got about 6 crowns that need to be redone, plus his front teeth are becoming so worn down from years of grinding, too much soda, and overall lack of care that he needs to consider taking drastic steps to preserve them, suggesting crowns. If he does what this dentist is recommending, it's in the range of $30,000 worth of work. :faint:

So now MY concerns about finances don't seem like such an overreaction to him, I guess. (Where's the I-TOLD-YOU-SO smiley?)

There's no way we can even consider doing all the work the dentist is suggesting. One tooth is bothering him, and I'll concede to having that one fixed. But the rest will have to wait for us/him to evaluate ALL the options -- like a cheaper dentist, or spreading the work out over several years, or other plans for generating more cash.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That may be an option, as sorry as I would be to see it happen. His dad's had a full set since he was about 25, or so I'm told.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I'm with Janet... I'm already doing that... I've had more than that done in my mouth, thank GOODNESS for my parents and insurance!!!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Janet, I guess to clarify, he wasn't directing any of his moping or hurt feelings towards me anymore.

I'd be reeling, too. But his brain works in mysterious ways and things that would freak me out don't seem to phase him -- it just doesn't matter in his little world.

KTMom91

I would be freaking out over a potential dental bill that large. But then, Hubby also needs a lot of work done...I'm just not asking.

Knock on wood that I have great teeth, with only two pinpoint fillings (please don't hate me!)

Steely

Dentist are money grubbing people sometimes. I am glad this smacked husband - but I wouldn't believe he needs all of that for a minute. Cavities filled - that would be my only priority..............geesh

T

TeDo

I have had top dentures since I was 35. There is a gum disease that runs in the females in my Mom's family where teeth break off at the gumlines regardless of how well you brush and floss. If it's going to be that much work, go with dentures. My current dentist is all about keeping my natural teeth. It doesn't matter to him that I only have 10 of my own teeth yet and would LOVE to quit fixing them all the time.

TerryJ2

husband definitely wants a 2nd opinion, but I am SO glad that he got hit like that!

My 83-yr-old cousin neglected her teeth for yrs ... she puts off everything ... and spent a cpl thousand on repair work when I brought her to my city. Then we ended up having every last tooth pulled because of her gum disease. She went on 3 rounds of antibiotics. Then she was fitted for dentures and refused to wear them. Then she wanted implants. Lots and lots of $. Enough to buy a luxury car. I'm sure this is not what her husband had in mind when he pinched and saved for so many yrs when he made sure they had plenty of savings when he died first.

Anyway, he needs to do something NOW, incl. antibiotics, I would think. No more soda, lots more brushing, and maybe an appliance to wear at night so he won't destroy any more teeth with-his grinding.

Best of luck!