Really disheartened and disappointed in my town

mstang67chic

Going Green
There is a little gas station around the corner from my house. It has all kinds of things and I'm there every morning before work. Now....I don't know that I'll be going back.

Before I go on, you should know that I live in a town that has a reputation for racism. I know it's there and I've heard the jokes people say and that kind of thing. I guess though, I didn't realize just how bad it still is here.

This morning I'm at the station going about my morning routine. One of the ladies that works there was talking to another customer. I couldn't see either one of them but I could hear everything. All of a sudden, this woman, in a normal tone of voice, asks the other customer if he "got n----r day off" today.

:nonono:

Um....WHAT???????

I was just floored. ANd yes, I did say something to her AND I called the manager and told her about it also.

I'm still in shock.

Wiped Out

Staff member
This is really sad. I'm so proud of you for speaking up. Many would have just ignored it. I know I wouldn't be going back either.

buddy

What does that even mean?? UGGG. good for you for standing up to that. My son says that word as a tic.. I hate it. Luckily (or not) he is black. (so guess how he first heard it??)

Just really awful.

T

TeDo

That is terrible. Kudos for speaking your mind to the person AND management. As WO said, most people would have ignored it. Take your business where the employees actually practice respect!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry you had to hear that and PROUD that you spoke up AND told the manager. Sometimes it seems we don't make much of any progress forward. Last summer thank you asked why it was a "bad" word when the black kids used it all the time and no one told them not to. I explained that they were trying to be cool and just showing how ignorant they were.

I wonder what the employer will tell that lady?

DammitJanet

Well, you live a little north for that behavior but down south that behavior does tend to still exist quite a bit. In fact, I have heard that day referred to about evenly as MLK Day and National N***r Day.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This kind of stuff drives me nuts, because in my opinion, MLK was a great man. Oh, he was black? While I am aware of that - I could not care less. (I'm still confused as to why we have a day off in his honor, and not one for a lot of other great people, but that's a non-issue.)

NO ONE should have to hear that language, I don't care if you're puce and magenta with chartreuse polka dots. The thing that bothers me the most is that certain groups of people will call themselves certain names, but if you're NOT part of the group (sorry, but normally this means you're caucasian), you could get shot for using it, too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, Stang, good for you for saying something! When we DON'T say anything, we are just as culpable. I hope that woman gets canned.

I am appalled that people are still so ignorant.

svengandhi

I would go back once or have a friend go in to see if anything happened to the woman. If she was fired or disciplined, I'd think about going back to support a store that did the right thing. If not, my morning routine would change. I grew up in the South Bronx and only ever heard black people call each that word. I have never uttered it out loud except to tell my children never to say it.

cubsgirl

It's attitudes like this that make me crazy. I'm glad you spoke up and I hope appropriate discipline is meted out.

H

HaoZi

There are few words I won't use myself, and that's one of them. I'd be curious to find out what happened and glad you spoke up.

mstang67chic

Going Green
The manager said she would deal with it and I believe her. husband and I have gone to that station since we moved to this neighborhood 15 years ago. We seen it through a variety of owners and employees and rarely have had issues with anyone there. The manager is a good one and while I don't know yet what happened, I will find outl