Received first

Wiped Out

Staff member
e-mail from school this year about a misbehavior of difficult child. (he hasn't been perfect by any means but this one warranted a parent contact)

Here is a copy of the e-mail sent to us by his Special Education. teacher:

<span style="color: #3333FF">FYI

Just wanted to inform you that difficult child will be coming home with- a behavioral referral today. He was given his 3+ warnings within the classroom (disruptive comments etc.) and was asked to go to the T.O. room. He kicked the door and then teacher came to help. He looked at her and said "you better stop following me or I'll punch you in the face."

Due to the threat he will have his lunch in the office and then work outside of the classroom today. I will still have him in his reading and math group this afternoon in an alternative space.

On a positive note: he is following the behavior plan as far as taking his t.o (walked on his own and sat with- door open right away). and making a "fix-it" plan. :smile:

Let me know if you have questions. </span>

husband did e-mail her that due to a mix up difficult child did miss one dose of medicine yesterday (first time that has happened) and didn't know if that could be part of it.

We will talk with difficult child about the inappropriateness of his behavior but is nice that they dealt with it the way they did.

For a bad behavior I thought this note was nicely written. After all the headaches last year, these teachers have been very consistent with difficult child and I like how she ended it on a positive note and I felt the consequence was appropriate unlike last year's out of school suspensions.

Although I wasn't happy with difficult child's behavior it was nice not to feel a pit in my stomach from an e-mail from his teachers as I did last year.

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Wow that was good correspondance from the teacher. Sorry you had to have difficult child have a problem to see that they are working with you this year but at least it is a positive. Hope things improve tommorow with difficult child at school.

Beth

M

ML

Their attitude makes all the difference in the world. I'm so glad you received communication delivered in a nice way. I am very pleased with my son's third grade teacher this year. She's been trying different things to help him stay engaged and organized. I talked to her about his executive function deficits and she actually looked them up on the computer and seems to have a greater understanding. I know that it will most likely be a new battle each year and some teachers wont' be as accommodating and I will have to fight more. I like it this way.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

I have to say that I'm impressed with this teacher & the way she used "her words" :rofl:

It's a wonder, with the holidays looming out there, that you haven't heard more from difficult child teachers. I assume, for the most part, that he'd doing well with all the work & interventions the team has put in place for your little guy.

Hope tomorrow (today) is a better day for all concerned.

:flower:

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

I believe his consequences and the way the school handled the situation was fabulous! It was a great email, without blame and frustration.

It's good to know that he pulled himself together and finished out the day with the plan in place.

Sharon

Tezzie

Wow! I wish my kids were at your school. Behavior along those lines by my difficult child would have gotten him suspended for at least 2 days for the threat. Sounds like you have some good folks to work with this year.

Tezzie

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies-Yes this was very refreshing after such a bad year last year!

Beth-Yep it's too bad it had to happen but so nice on how they handled it.

Michele-I'm glad the third grade teacher has been so good for your son.

Linda-I too like the way she used her words!! It is a good plan and it's nice to see how well it works when it is being followed!

Sharon-I do agree it was fabulous. I think because of the way they handled it difficult child was able to regroup-this group of teachers does a good job of following the plan and of not personalizing things.

Tezzie-Last year at this same school he would have been suspended too. We have a much better group this year plus we tweaked some things in his IEP that are really helping as well.

Again-thanks for your support-it is always appreciated.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Very nice Wiped Out.
Glad you are all working together and including difficult child in making a plan that seems to work.