Recipes Loved, Lost, or Always Wanted!

klmno

Thank you, jal!! Now what am I going to do with the rest of that bottle of brandy?? LOL!

I'd also love to get totoro's (or someone's) recipe for good guacamole. I thought maybe one was posted before but I couldn't find it when I searched. The packaged stuff was ok but not as good as a restaurant's.

And- I ate some smothered chicken that difficult child and I both thought was out of this world. It couldn't have been the typical recipe of just adding cream of chicken soup. It had a very thick white gravy it was cooked in and was a tad spicey and included a small amount of mushrooms. It had been slow-cooked and was extremely tender.

I have a good one for broccolli/cheese casserole and mexican chicken casserole if anyone is interested. And a great (but sweet) cake is strawberry with chocolate icing- it's difficult child's favorite- but I don't have a special recipe for it. It just tastes great with an icing or chocolate ice cream topping that hardens into a shell.

DammitJanet

OMG...people...I just made the coconut macaroons from that southern living website Donna posted. They are to die for! I am in macaroon heaven and I dont think Tony is going to be able to leave the kitchen when he gets home Friday evening...lol. They are a definite hit.

jal

klmno - buy the little nipper of brandy or don't use at all. The little nipper gives you exactly the amount of Tbs. you need and costs around $1 and change.

I bought it, walked out and came home. Then I realized the cashier gave me bourbon! UGH...but they let me exchange it.

jal

Dammit Janet - with-regards to the other thread and pork loin. Have you tried marinating it in teriyaki? Do that and then put it in tin foil with-some sliced green pepper and onion. Add a touch of fresh marinate and fold foil into a pocket. Bake at 350 for an hour in a baking dish. (1 loin-1lb). Tasty and tender with-a veggie side dish!

klmno

Thanks! (Of course now I don't have an excuse to sip brandy this winter.- JK)

As far as sides with the pork loin, I would think rice or scalloped potatoes, or even those fancy tiny potatoes that you boil, along with green beans or asparagus and a dinner roll. At least that's what comes to my mind.

jal

Truthfully, I've never tasted brandy straight, but you can do what you want with it - HAHA!

Oh definately. You can do what you want with-it (the pork). This is always my fail safe for pork loin when I can't do my other recipe for the grill! I usually have some kind of potato or even pasta side dish to go with...but I really like onions & peppers, but you can just do it marinated in the foil pocket with-nothing else and do whatever sides you choose!

P.s. I have an awesome recipe for homemade au gratin potatoes - if there are any takers.

donna723

Sorry, I'm just getting back to this thread!

Fran, I would love to meet your vertically challenged moose herd but my four will be at home with the puppy sitter! I told them that, for this year only, Christmas has been changed to December 27th. I don't have the heart to give them all their loud new squeaky toys and then leave them with the sitter ... I may need to use her services again some time!

This trip is turning in to quite a challenge. Ordinarily we go on I-40 thrugh E. Tennessee into N. Carolina near Ashville, then go through N. Carolina to S. Carolina. But there has been that big rockslide on the road and I-40 is closed through there with a 50+ mile detour. I can't imagine that there is a "good" detour through there - it's probably through some guys cornfield! So, as much as I hate it, we will probably end up going through Atlanta. :ashamed: I always work myself into a frenzie over these things and it always ends up being not as bad as I thought it would be.

DammitJanet

Donna...mapquest it to go through Greenville SC or Spartanburg SC then down through Columbia SC and on into Charleston. Im not exactly sure where you are in TN but Tony has had to work in various locales in TN before when we were in Myrtle Beach and he would go up through Columbia to TN. Of course, he loves the mountains so taking the back roads is a plus. You may have to take a back road or two for a short time but it shouldnt be far.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Donna, I saw the news about the rockslide and the detour of 6 months or more. Ugh.
It's always a problem when trying new roads.