Recommendation for Psychologist in Western Burbs of Chicago

clayyalc

Our difficult child was diagnosed as Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified, ODD, ADHD and Aspergers when he turned 4. He is currently 6 and attending Kindergarten at school for autistic children in the western suburbs of Chicago. He currently takes Focalin, which seems to help most of the time, but has some key behavioral issues that we would like to see a psychologist for professional help.

We received a recommendation from his primary physician for a psychologist at Children's Memorial. However, the schedulers there will not even call us to schedule until at least 2 weeks from now and after that there will be at least a 2 month wait at best.

Anybody have any recommendation for a seasoned psychologist around Chicago that has dealt with ODD children?

buddy

I do not live in that area so sorry.... I am interested to know if those diagnosis all came from the same place...???

How does one get a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and Asperger's diagnosis when Asperger's is one of the specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)'s (Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified vs. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-specified, smile)

Or was this over time???

Many of u have had kids who were diagnosis ADHD/ODD/Anxiety disorder or whatever combination. Then once they get the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) or Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) diagnosis they may drop those because they may (and true nto always...I say adhd for my son and it is really his brain injury but it helps people get it sometimes) be symptoms of the umbrella diagnosis....

Have you felt that for your son??

How do you like the autism program? I had my son in one too to first grade and it was wonderful. All the speech/Occupational Therapist (OT)/social communication work right there in the program.... once in K, he went half day to the autism program and the half day to Special Education. kindergarten. That was great.

I do not know your child at all, but with that diagnosis kids seem very oppositional so whoever you see, make sure they work with kids on the spectrum not only kids who have adhd/odd.... it ends up, for many not all....being an exercise in pain and futility because the origin of the oppositional behavior is different. Usually it is due to a lack of being able to take the other person's perspective (an autism symptom) and needing to be very rigid, routine bound, being a black/white thinker etc. I am not doubting you in any way....Just offering seasoned experiences so you can consider it in case it might fit your situation. If not, feel free to disregard.

I only for the first tme have my son seeing a psycholgist for himself. She works in a brain-injury rehab clinic that also specializes in developmental disorders like Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and primarily for her...Asperger's.... (My son is HF autistic, not aspergers) IT is actually working out well so far. I am getting ideas to work on the oppositional stuff and he is getting ideas to stop and think using an autism perspective of teaching. I hope you can find that for your son too.

JJJ

How does one get a Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified and Asperger's diagnosis when Asperger's is one of the specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)'s (Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified vs. Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-specified, smile)

You get both when the doctors don't agree. For Eeyore, Dr. #1 insisted on Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified because he did not think his IQ was high enough for an Aspergers diagnosis due to Eeyore being in Special Education. Dr. #2 thought Dr. #1 was ill-informed (true) to think that all Special Education kids have low IQ and diagnosis Aspergers. Both diagnosis are in his file as neither doctor would change their mind. (Of course neither doctor did IQ testing lol)

JJJ

Anybody have any recommendation for a seasoned psychologist around Chicago that has dealt with ODD children?

We do not allow public recommendations of specific doctors or clinics on the board. Anyone with a recommendation is welcome to send you a private message.

You can try contacting this group for assistance: crsa.illinois.gov