Regional foods...

Nomad

Staff member
There are many good burger places around esp lately. A new one we discovered is called Burger Fi. It seems hamburgers have been extra popular of late....maybe they are all competing with one another to make them extra delicious!

Copabanana

california cuisine started at bay area restaurants such as chez panisse in the gourmet ghetto. organic locally grown and sourced produce and meats. simply prepared. tiny portions that cost a fortune. you leave hungry. used to go when young. when it all started. lived there.

kir (a drink with white wine or champagne with cassis)

shrimp toast

belgian waffles

goat cheese everything

olive bars

burritos

cioppino

baguettes

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
In Iowa, catfish is not considered a food.

I have it when I go south, just to be rebellious.
Catfish out of fresh, cold, fast-running water is fantastic. Catfish out of sloughs/bayous, stagnant lakes and warm water rivers, is unfit for human consumption, as is any farm raised fish.

I didn't believe catfish was edible, having tried it several times, until I had "chicken" (1-3lb) channel catfish caught out of a northern WI river in the spring and cooked at streamside. Delicious. In that environment, they eat the same things trout do and are just as tasty.

Jabberwockey

I didn't believe catfish was edible, having tried it several times, until I had "chicken" (1-3lb) channel catfish caught out of a northern WI river in the spring and cooked at streamside.

Catfish are bottom feeders so the more stagnant/muddy/nasty the water is the worse the fish will taste. Not a restaurant thing here but snapping turtle is quite tasty. You have to know what you're doing though. Very difficult to process and the first step can take a week or longer as you put the still live turtle in a container of fresh water and change the water every day till its finally clear. Hmm? Wonder if that would work with catfish as well?

When I was stationed in Memphis they had a chain called Krystal's which is the equivalent of belly bombers. White Castles for the uninitiated here. They were ok but just not the same. One that I miss that is only in Florida and Georgia at this point is Po' Folks! I loved their food but unfortunately the gimmick fell out of favor around here and they are no more in the mid-west.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Catfish are bottom feeders so the more stagnant/muddy/nasty the water is the worse the fish will taste. Not a restaurant thing here but snapping turtle is quite tasty. You have to know what you're doing though. Very difficult to process and the first step can take a week or longer as you put the still live turtle in a container of fresh water and change the water every day till its finally clear. Hmm? Wonder if that would work with catfish as well?

When I was stationed in Memphis they had a chain called Krystal's which is the equivalent of belly bombers. White Castles for the uninitiated here. They were ok but just not the same. One that I miss that is only in Florida and Georgia at this point is Po' Folks! I loved their food but unfortunately the gimmick fell out of favor around here and they are no more in the mid-west.

I'm from the home of White Castle, who's offerings are properly known as "sliders". (the original slider).

I've had Krystal's in TN and GA and there is no comparison. Never had snapping turtle, though did tie into a large alligator snapper while fishing in TN, which created a lot of hilarity (and risk to life and limb) trying to get it unhooked and back into the water. (All while some maniac was jumping up and down waving a 9mm begging us to let him shoot it.

It was pretty funny as once hooked it came barreling out of the water, madder than hell.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
And actually, young channel and blue catfish are not bottom feeders for the most part. They eat insect larvae and smaller fish. Flathead are nasty in any size and out of any water.

I've caught wels in Germany, which get huge, and what I'd consider inedible due to the type of water conditions they thrive in. They're another type of catfish.

Lil

did tie into a large alligator snapper while fishing in TN, which created a lot of hilarity (and risk to life and limb) trying to get it unhooked and back into the water.

No hook or lure is worth this. Take a knife, cut the line.
alligator-snapping-turtle-closeup-820x547.jpg

Sam3

Snapping turtles! What memories that brings back.

My dad used to take us fishing from the banks of a canal. I had a cane pole, bobber, sinker, hook and worms.

My brother had a telescoping pole, fancy gear, specialty bait and many different lures -- until they got cut off in the jaws of the snapping turtles which seemed to be the only thing he caught.

I would keep the sunfish and bluegill I caught for a while in that metal bucket with the holes. Then I would let them go because I didn't like fish (or the thought of killing something).
I just liked fishing with my dad.

Nomad

Staff member
I love goat cheese "everything!"

Many years ago I visited my cousin in CA and went to a Mexican restaurant and she told me to order the "pregnant burrito!" Lol. It had just about everything you could think of in there and was delicious. I do t recall the restaurant name though.

Lately in my area, avocado is big in just about everything... eggs, salads ... and even toast "avocado toast."

Cafe con leche...popular for decades.

We use to have White Castle , but doesn't seem to be around anymore. My husband found the little burgers (sliders?) available in the frozen section. Omg! I told him just the other day it when having one for lunch it's like going back to my youth! Yum.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I miss Whataburger and Der Wienerschnitzel.

We have Hardee's, which when I was in Oklahoma was Carl's Jr. Frisch's Big Boy here is Bob's Big Boy down South, or was.

Waffle House.

Primanti Bros - huge, fantastic sandwiches.

IHOP - we finally got one - it's horrid.

Fusian - a play on "fusion" and "Asian" - they have all kinds of sushi-inspired yummies.

La Rosa's Pizza and Marion's Pizza. No way to describe, just OMG.

Nomad

Staff member
Hmmm burger or fast food snobbery????
Oddly, White Castle was around when I was a kid and our family rarely went. But I recall the hamburgers were oddly good. No doubt they aren't too good (healthy) for you. We, for whatever reason (and I don't particularly know why) looked down a little on WC and McDonalds. We rarely did fast food, anyway. If we did though, it was more likely Burger King.
When my kids were growing up, we did fast food a little more often and now that I think of it...a bit more inclined to go to "BK Steakhouse." Lol

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
No hook or lure is worth this. Take a knife, cut the line.
alligator-snapping-turtle-closeup-820x547.jpg
Yeah, they're pretty freaking ugly. They're also endangered in TN (or were at that time), and have a good chance of dying if a hook is left in them, so we tried, and succeeded, in getting the hook out.

Lil

Yeah, they're pretty freaking ugly. They're also endangered in TN (or were at that time), and have a good chance of dying if a hook is left in them, so we tried, and succeeded, in getting the hook out.

They'd be even more endangered if I caught one. :) You are a much nicer person than I am.