Regional foods...

Lil

So, there've been so many foods mentioned in the other threads, I thought I'd see who's eaten our local delicacies and maybe you'll list (and explain) some of your own. :)

Some of St. Louis' local inventions:

Toasted Ravioli - Like it sounds. Take Ravioli, bread and deep-fry them so they're toasty. Serve with marinara of course.

Gooey Butter Cake - Hard to describe. But here's a recipe. Gooey Butter Cake III Recipe

Provel Cheese - According to Wikipedia: Provel /proʊˈvɛl/ is a white processed cheese particularly popular in St. Louis cuisine, that is a combination of cheddar, Swiss, and provolone cheeses. Provel has a low melting point, and therefore has a gooey and almost buttery texture at room temperature. It is the traditional topping for St. Louis-style pizza. It is also often used in the preparation of cheese soup and served on salads, chicken, and the Gerber sandwich. Some restaurants use Provel for their pasta dishes with white sauce instead of the customary fresh Italian cheese and cream.

And of course, Missouri has two others for sure it's known for:

KC Barbeque - kind of self explanatory but specifically has to do with slow smoked meats.
and
Springfield Cashew Chicken - my favorite on the list and virtually impossible to find outside of areas near Springfield, Missouri in my experience. Crispy fried chicken bits, a yummy gravy-like sauce, and cashews. SOOOO GOOD!!!! Springfield Style Cashew Chicken I Recipe

I personally am a fan of many area's specialties; Chicago deep dish pizza being one of my favorites.

What are your (now or in the past) area's specialties?

Last edited:

ahhjeez

New England clam chowder. I prefer seafood chowder myself, but the New England area is known for their chowder. There is definitely an art to it. Can't be too flour-y. Some prefer it with thick broth, others a thinner broth. So delicious! Also the seafood here. Fish and chips, fried clams, fried lobster, steamed lobsters. I'm stahvin'!!! LOL.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Being from Colorado my absolute favorite is Green Chile. It's made with Hatch New Mexico green chile's, tomato's, onion, pork and some spices. I like to eat a big bowl of it with tortilla's. It's also great over eggs and fried potato's with some cheese.

Now that I live close to Wisconsin I have learned there are so many kinds of cheese. I really like cheese curds and when they deep fry them in a beer batter, well YUM!!!!

The area where I live has lots of Swiss, German and Italian's so during the summer there are always festivals to attend and so much great food to eat. German Spaetzle is really good. A really good swiss cheese fondue is also really good.

Provel Cheese
Lil, I saw something on the food network about this kind of cheese.

I am so hungry right now!!
:morecrackers::picnic::spaghetti::icecream:

BusynMember

Wisconsin does not have nearly the yummy food choices as in Chicago. But, as mentioned already, cheese curds are delish. I dont eat fried anything, but curds are even good not fried. Another thing we are big on is brats...brat fries everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

From Chicago, nothing beats the greatness of thick crust chicago style pizza. And I love Chicago dogs with the works, including ketchup. Chicago has yummy ethnic foods in the various areas...Little Italy, Little Greece, Little Name Your Country...if you like food this is an excellent city for that. Jewish food also rocks the boat. Chicken soup and dumplings anyone?

pasajes4

San Antonio...... Tex-Mex, fajitas, Carne Guisada, Nopalitos, sopapias, Camarones, horichata, aqua fresca, flan........bbq everything mostly beef and sausages

Lil

Springfield Cashew Chicken is still the one that gets me. Springfield, Missouri has it's own, original Chinese food. Go figure. LOL

Nomad

Staff member
Mojito
Although I don't live in south fla anymore.
Who is the person I met from this site and got one of these with?
PM me if you are reading. Thanks.

AppleCori

In Iowa they have what they call "funeral potatoes".

It may be known in other parts of the world, but probably called something different, if it is.

I, personally, have never run across it before, though.

It is shredded hash browns with half cup of butter, onion, salt, pepper, cream of chicken soup, two cups of cheese, milk, and sour cream mixed together and baked.

I'm not sure whether it got its name because people would make it for the bereaved household, or whether it was the cause of so many heart attacks!

KTMom91

Santa Maria tri-tip and beans is very Californian.

Dungeness crab with San Francisco sourdough from Boudin Bakery.

Fresh fruits and veggies, at least here in the Valley.

And of course, Mexican food.

BusynMember

I like catfish and have eaten it a little, but its not particularly nourishing for a fish. Still, its food here and I am right next to Iowa in Wisconsin...

Last edited:

AppleCori

Maybe it's just the area I am in. I probably shouldn't generalize for the whole state.

No one here eats it.

Could be that the places where they live are not as clean as others around here?

It's much more popular in the south.

I will have to ask hubby....

Nomad

Staff member
Re In and Out Burgers We were in CA and walked several blocks to go to that burger place. Lol.

It was fine. Limited menu choices. A good solid burger. Very fast service. Humongous lines that moved fast. Unsure why exactly it is so very popular. Interesting experience!

PS Does anyone know why this place is so crazy popular?

Sam3

Re In and Out Burgers

It was fine. Limited menu choices. A good solid burger. Very fast service. Humongous lines that moved fast.

PS Does anyone know why this place is so crazy popular?

You said about all there is to say about it.

Good solid not gimmicky burger.

(Good proportion of meat and bread to toppings. Which are a little wedge of crispy iceberg lettuce and big tomato and onion slices that fill the bun. Grilled or raw onions are offered standard. Not one of those ground grass fed cows on a brioche with Parmesan crisp type burgers).

Good basic shakes.

Fast service

Limited Menu

Also. Inexpensive. Burger @ $2. Double double @ $3.50

The only gimmicky bit is the secret menu. So secret everybody knows it and feels like they're pulling a caper each time. Double double animal style, etc.

It's the only fast food I actually crave. It's so California we idle in the drive through for 20 minutes to get it. They ask if your eating in the car and if so give you a paper placemat.

I believe they used to only be on the great Route 66.

Simple. Clean. Fast. Consistent. And as fresh as a fast food burger can taste.

That said, when we're visiting in laws, we get a Crave Case. That should probably go in the Guilty Pleasures thread.

Last edited:

pasajes4

We were very excited when in and out came to to Texas. We stood in line for ever to order. I was very dissapointed after all the hype. We are very spoiled here in south Texas. We have Whataburger and they are amazing. Freddy's Steak Burger runs a close second.