Regional treats

everywoman

[ QUOTE ]
Fries are popular with ketchup, malt vinegar or even gravy around here. As a matter of fact, most family restaurants will serve white rice with gravy if requested. :smile:

[/ QUOTE ]

And what else would you eat on rice but gravy or butterbeans (or stewed tomatos??? Growing up in my house rice was a daily staple.

DammitJanet

Well Katmom...Ok...the seafood from Calabash all down the Grand Strand is darn good! I dont think you can get better seafood than here in the carolinas.

And I was wondering the same thing about rice...lol. What else do you put on it besides gravy or butter or butter beans? I love me some baby limas with ham and rice! And a nice piece of cornbread to go with it...lol.

dreamer

rice and black eyed peas and cornbread.....rice and milk and sugar, rice and red beans and sausage and maybe some shredded chicken.....rice and cheese. seems to me also rice and ?whipping cream and mandarin oranges?

mmmmm fried rice YUM!

donna723

We spent the day before Christmas Eve with my son-in-laws huge extended family in South Carolina. They had butterbeans cooked with ham to put over rice - I've never seen them put together like that, but it was wonderful! And every year they have "fresh ham", which was pretty much like pork roast, and big homemade biscuits. And homemade mac & cheese, big vats of it! And some kind of thing his aunt makes every Christmas with blueberries, cream cheese and whipped cream! It was fantastic! I may go live there!

hearthope

Sunday dinner in alabama~

Fried chicken or pork chops
Collard greens with smoked ham hocks
Dried black-eyed peas with smoked ham hocks
Rice with gravy (made from the drippings of the frying pan after frying meat)
Fresh peas cooked with ham
Fried cornbread patties
Sweet potatoe bake covered in brown sugar, pecans and marshmellows
Some want homemade biscuits to eat with the gravy or honey and butter.
Some want buttermilk to dip the fried cornbread in.

For dessert banana pudding or pecan pie

and of course gallons of fresh sweet tea, with lemons

everywoman

[ QUOTE ]
Well Katmom...Ok...the seafood from Calabash all down the Grand Strand is darn good! I dont think you can get better seafood than here in the carolinas."

So true. No one knows what they're missing until they've had some good Carolina seafood fresh off the boats.

dreamer

mmm my mother in law made the best ham and black eyed peas and rice and cornbread. YUM!

and I make something with cream cheese, and can use blueberies or chocolate pudding or ?????lots of things-----and whip cream or cool whip.

I love pecan pie. (pee cahn here)

DammitJanet

Does anyone wonder why the south has the highest obesity and heart attack rates? LOL. I doubt ya'll do anymore after seeing what we eat!

If we cant fry it, cover it in gravy, load it with lard, load it with sugar or dip it in buttermilk...why it just aint no good!