Regional treats

Lothlorien

There is some special things about each region. For example Philadelphia is known for cheesesteaks....Manhattan for the pretzels and the hot dog carts....

Around here, this are some of the things that I think are the best:

Belgian Waffles and Ice cream at the boardwalk
Hot dogs from Max's or the Windmill with an egg cream
Our pizza is the best I've had anywhere
And of course, New Jersey Tomatoes are the best!

What are some of your favorite regional treats?

amstrong

I am in North Mississippi a stone's throw from Memphis.

Around these parts is the good old Memphis BBQ and fried green tomatoes. Since being on WW, these are things I can only enjoy sparingly.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Pennsylvania Dutch cuisine around here (duh- it's Pennsylvania :rofl: )

Pot pie (with noodles, not crust)

Chicken corn soup

Nasty stuff involving "misc pig parts and stomachs" :tongue:

Shoo fly pie

Chow Chow

Pecan pie around here is pronounced peeeeeeeeeecun pie. :smile:

Suz

everywoman

Oysters (roasted of course, fresh out of Winyah Bay)
Carolina BBQ (Vinegar/Mustard Based)
Flounder (Fried Fresh)
Chitlins (intestines, yuk!)

dreamer

chicago style hot dogs (my son would live on these)
I think our "egg creams" are "ice cream sodas" here
chicago style pizza (tho I prefer thin crisp crust pizza)
corn---on the COB
pumpkins (we grow them for this area along with christmas trees and YES! tomatos)
the town next door calls itself the milk capital of the world.
our state capital makes claim to corn dogs origination, but I think it is being debated?
Fudge.
while I am technically IL-----I am on the border to wis------and all the cheeseheads- so cheesecurds.
Um Ray Krocs ? well, anyway McDs um headquarters? school? Hamburger U? whatever it is called, I do not remember.it is here, LOL

I suppose being midwest we mostly just take claimor just simply imbibe? for hot dogs, cheeseburgers, potato salad and apple pie? Apple cider cinnamin donuts? LOL.

Lobsters, clams, fresh fish, corn-on-the-cob - all the ingredients for a good old New England clam bake, steamed in a pit with seaweed and hot coals!!!! YUMMMM!!

Thick, creamy, WHITE clam chowda (not to be confused with clam chowder!)

Maple sugar candy, salt water taffy and Boston Cream Pie!!

Good Lord - I'm hungry!!

Amy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I forgot french fries dipped in vinegar ( I know, it sounds horrible but it's delicious!)

Suz

donna723

Around here it's catfish, fileted, breaded with cornmeal batter, and fried in hot oil ... best if done on a riverbank with lots of friends around! Hey, I never said it was healthy, just GOOD! It's served with cole slaw, white beans, hush puppies, and sometimes french fries. And sweet tea, of course!

:smile:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Probably more than anyone needs to know, but this is what I got when I googled New England Foods!

New England cookery combines the older English methods of steaming and boiling with indigenous ingredients familiar to Native Americans, such as corn, game, shellfish, potatoes, cranberries, maple syrup and cornmeal. New England has meager and rocky soil but it has a bounty of fish — especially cod, which in pre-modern times was salted for the winter — and shellfish, including clams, oysters, and lobster. Boston baked beans, which became a Saturday supper staple because of the Puritan’s Sabbath rules; cranberry dishes of all kinds; and maple syrup and candy in every shape a mold can be made, have all found a place in the American pantry and palate through the traditional corridors of New England.

Clambake: The New England clambake is not a meal so much as it is an outdoor construction project in a glorious setting with hours of socializing among the cooking crew and its fans. The work begins with cooks assembling the essential foods (lobsters, whole fish, ears of corn, littleneck clams, mussels, soft-shelled clams, red bliss potatoes, and onions) and cooking gear: firewood, charcoal, stones, seaweed, tarps, and shovels. The crew begins by digging a hole — preferably at a beautiful ocean beach — and lining it with stones, wood, and charcoal. Essentially, they are creating a below-ground bonfire and heating the rocks to create a steam bath for the food. When the wood has burned down to ash, saturated seaweed is laid over the hot rocks, creating a pit of steam. Small packets of seafood, corn, and potatoes wrapped in wet cheesecloth are laid down in the pit on top of the seaweed. The food packets are covered with more seaweed, and the whole pit is covered with a tarp for up to about two hours. At the end of the cooking time, the food is unearthed and served with lots of drawn butter, beer if desired, and hearty compliments for the cooks.

Lobster: A New England lobster feast is no place for the shy or faint of heart. It takes work — and some skillful strategy — to bust open the exoskeleton of the bright-orange, spiny beast, but the delicate taste of the lobster meat, dipped in drawn butter, is well worth the effort. The most popular variety in the United States is the Maine lobster. It has 5 pairs of legs, but the first set is the main order of business for the diner. It is a pair of large, heavy claws that contain a good amount of meat. The other meat-rich portion of the animal is its tail. Boiled lobster is served with a bib, drawn butter, a cracking tool, and a narrow fork for easing the meat out of the broken shell.

Cod: Cape Cod, the glorious, wind-swept curl of land extending from Massachusetts into the Atlantic, didn’t get its name for nothing. Cod is New England’s fish, a white, lean, firm and mild-tasting meat. Cod and scrod (the name for young cod and haddock) can be baked, broiled, poached and fried. Whole fish, which can range in weight from one and a half to 100 pounds, can be stuffed. Cod cheeks and tongues are a local delicacy.

Clam Chowder: What is the most authentic clam chowder? In some New England communities that question can lead to great debates. Chowder has many varieties, and each has its loyal following. One clear three-way division is among the creamy broth (“New England clam chowder”), the clear broth (found primarily in Rhode Island), and the tomato-based broth (named for the far-off island of Manhattan). Different kinds of fish stews exist in almost every seaside country in the world. Fish chowders came before clam chowder. The chowders made by early settlers used salt pork and biscuits. Today chowders discard the biscuits, but often have crackers sprinkled on top. Clams, hard or soft, are the basis of the most common chowders, but other types of fish are often used, depending on the season and the catch. According to 50 Chowders by Jasper White, the first and oldest-known printed fish chowder recipe was in the Boston Evening Post on September 23, 1751.

Cranberries: Shiny, scarlet cranberries have a bigger job than just looking beautiful on the Thanksgiving dinner table. They grow wild but also are extensively cultivated in huge, sandy bogs, mostly in Massachusetts. The peak period to buy and use fresh cranberries I from October through December. Apart from cranberry sauce, this fruit makes delicious chutneys, pies, and cobblers. Because they are so sour, cranberries are best combined with other fruits, such as apples or dried apricots.

Maple Sugar: The maple forests of northern New England do more than cover the hills with blankets of gold color every fall. At the start of each year – about February to March —the maples are producing a sweet sap that has been used by Americans for hundreds and maybe thousands of years. Native Americans probably discovered the sweetness of the maple tree by eating sapsicles, the icicles of frozen maple sap that form from the end of a broken twig. The Indians collected sap by making slashes in the tree trunks. In the early years maple sap was boiled down and made into maple sugar, not syrup, because it was easier to store the dried and hardened sugar. Early European settlers in New England at first copied the Indians’ sap-collection methods, but by 1800 they began harvesting the sap by drilling a small hole in the tree and inserting a tube made from a hollowed twig. Early makers of maple products boiled sap in iron kettles hanging over an open fire. When it was thickened, the liquid sugar was stirred until it began to crystallize, then poured into molds.

Boston Baked Beans: The short definition of Boston baked beans is: dried navy beans baked slowly with molasses and salt pork. But since this city is also known fondly as “Beantown,” you know that Boston’s relationship with its baked bean tradition goes deeper than one sentence. The early colonists learned to cook dried beans from the American Indians, who would dig pits in the earth and slow-cook beans with maple sugar and bear fat. This dish evolved into baked beans with salt pork and molasses. It was traditionally served on Saturday nights in Colonial times. The Puritan Sabbath — when no cooking could be done — ran from sundown Saturday to sundown on Sunday. Puritan wives baked beans in brick ovens on Saturday for that night’s supper. The leftovers were still warm when the family returned from church Sunday morning.
Making Boston baked beans requires a day of prep time and several hours of cooking. Here’s the short recipe: Soak Navy beans overnight; parboil beans; place into bean pot with salt, pepper, molasses, dry mustard, brown sugar, water, and onion; parboil salt pork then add it to bean pot; Cover and bake at 250 degrees for six to eight hours. One final bit of advice; it’s worth the time.

New England Boiled Dinner: This dinner, with roots in Ireland, is a one-pot meal native to New England that contains various ingredients, but primarily corned beef, cabbage, carrots, turnips, and potatoes. These ingredients, along with seasonings, are added at various times during cooking and slowly simmered together to create a hearty one-pot meal. Common condiments include horse radish, mustard, and vinegar. The dish is representative of the cultural heritage of the region, notably that of the Irish.

New England is Apple Country: Apple growing has found a fertile home in rocky soils, long, hot summers, and crisp fall days of New England. New England’s apples, with names like McIntosh, Cortland, Delicious, Rome, Macoun, Empire, Baldwin, and Crispin, boast a unique blend of sweet and tart flavors. The New England apple industry is still largely family-owned and orchards are an important community resource. Many growers offer pick-your-own sales and farm stands that sell homemade apple butter, applesauce, pies, and other treats.

Among the other treats is apple cider, fermented (“hard”) or non-fermented. French and English colonists loved cider — in those times, the word, standing alone, always indicated a fermented drink. Until the mid-1800s, hard cider was the most popular beverage in North America because apples were plentiful; it was cheap to make; and, unlike milk, it would not go bad. All the colonists, young and old, drank hard cider at all types of family and church occasions.

Early cider making was tedious — workers began by pounding the apples in wooden mortars; the pounded apple flesh was then pressed in baskets. From there, makers developed primitive mills, where heavy mauls crushed the apples in a hollowed log. Presses for cider making began appear around 1650. Some New England residents cranked up the alcoholic intensity of their cider by burying barrels of cider in the ground each fall. In spring, the barrels were dug up and the cider was filtered, producing a clear beverage with a kick like a mule. The holes where the barrels were buried were called cider holes and the filtered springtime beverage was known as applejack, which was known to greet the drinker like a sledge hammer to the forehead. Applejack has been defined by some sources more delicately as an apple brandy.

skeeter

Cincinnati Style Chili (Skyline or Goldstar):
It's Greek style, with a spice mixture that contains cinnamin and chocolate. You can have it as a 3 - way (spagetti, chili and grated cheddar cheese) 4 - way (same with either beans or onions) and 5 - way (same with beans AND onions). Served with oyster crackers.

Montgomery Inn Ribs:
Bob Hope used to have them flown special to him in California.

Graeter's or Aglimesis Ice Cream:
Both have HUGE chunks of dark chocolate in their chocolate chip flavor.

Ester Price Chocolate:
The dark chocolate is to die for.

Goetta:
From our strong German heritage - a ground beef, pork and pin head oat mixture that you let "set" and then slice and fry.

White Castles:
Same principle as a Krystal - little tiny burgers with onions, commonly referred to as "sliders".

Brats and Hamilton Metts:
Again, from the German heritage - brats are gray with nutmeg and allspice, metts are red with whole mustard seed in them. Usually served with sauerkrat and German (warm, with bacon and vinegar - NO mayo) potato salad.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Actually, we don't really have dishes, but we are known for our Huckleberries, they grow wild here everywhere as well as Morel Mushrooms,(very expensive). I think we are too young of a state... we don't have the history of you all further East or the more populated areas...

Oh and who could forget our one true delecacy Rocky Mountain Oysters.... Even though I am in the Selkirk mountains... they are um fried sheep b_ _ls... yum. :rofl: