Rehab with Dr Drew

A

AmericanGirl

Anyone else watching this? I am finding it helpful. Shows me more of how addicts think, how rehab works, etc.

buddy

Yes, much better than the celebrity episodes. Today was family weekend. They said over and over the two "kids" with enmeshed, loving homes were the most worrisome. Way more codependency issues. Our family had to work hard on that and really hard on boundaries. It's so hard when so much fierce love is there.....it's complicated ....Good show.

DammitJanet

Nancy its an excellent show and comes on Sunday night at 8 on Vh1, but also runs on Wed again. You can also watch it online if you google Rehab with Dr Drew.

Yes tonight was Family Night and it went well for most of the people but two of the people in there have very codependent families. One is very bad. Drewbee. He has been the hardest patient the whole time. In fact, tonight he bolted at the very end of the show but I think that was coming all along. He has not been working the program all along. He actually told his sister that he intended to relapse as soon as he came home on pot and alcohol anyway. But his parents were making things way too easy on him to do that because they intended to allow him to decide to just come back home after this short stint and live back in their garage. Meanwhile there on Family Day his mom was wringing her hands and crying that her son was going to die because he wouldnt go to a sober living house. Sigh. They should have told him he couldnt come home then. They had been going out and buying him drugs so he wouldnt get too much and OD before he went into rehab. Very sad.

P

PatriotsGirl

I LOVE that show!!! He is the man. Thanks for reminding me to watch the latest episode - I watch it on OnDemand...

DDD

I watch the program regularly and recommended it not long ago on the board because they had "younger normal" kids.
on the other hand...God it is painful to watch the emotions. The kid who was a champion in karate...I watched that and my eyes got teary because his parent knew the pride and happiness and affirmation of their family. We felt those emotions too. It was so God awful to go from the pinnacle to the depths. on the other hand...it's a REAL program. DDD

Nancy

I will watch it online, thanks for the in depth review. I'm afraid it will hit very close to home and bring up some sad memories.

DDD

Watched a rerun last night. It was strange because I had a "lightbulb" moment. Over the years I have recommended strongly to newbies that they not let their difficult children see them cry. Why?? Just based on parenting gut instincts, I guess. on the other hand I SAW why with Drewbie's family and Dr. Drew commented on it. The emotional reaction from the parents just triggers the emotional drive for the difficult children to excape their heightening emotions. The first time I watched the show I didn't pick up on that. Interesting and so sad. DDD

buddy

I thought that was super interesting too. The times I did think tears seemed maybe helpful were when a parent apologized in a therapy session. But the hysterics, yeah, I could feel how over the top that was even watching it (I'm sure the comments made reinforced that feeling). No way to criticize how intensely they love him of course, so I hope they can learn to have more clear boundaries. I can't imagine being in that position and pray I never am. All of you who go through that, my appreciation for your hard work parenting gets deeper and deeper as I learn over the years. You are all so special.

DammitJanet

Yes I thought that my was so over the top it left that boy feeling so responsible for his parents emotional well being.