Remember Mallory? Wee's Nemisis from last year???

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The elementary is doing state testing this year. For the next 2 weeks.

So ALL the kids in that building that have testing accomodations in their IEPs are in Wee's room for the next 2 weeks hanging out, or being pulled and tested individually.

Including Mallory. Who's done with her testing. And will now be spending the next 2 weeks in Wee's room for the duration of the testing "hanging out". To make matters even worse, this morning, ALL the other kids in that room have been pulled for testing in other rooms. So its Wee and Mallory. Alone. In the same room. From 7am-1pm.

Yeah, NOT. I pulled him out. They aren't doing academics, anyway, because of all the extra kids coming and going....I am not taking that chance.

Marguerite

They really don't get it, do they?

Is it possible that at some level someone is thinking, "Gee, if only those two could spend some one-on-one time to get to know one another, they could be friends."?

We had similar issues with difficult child 3 and a bully in his class. The teachers failed to intervene when difficult child 3 complained yet again, did not investigate, and then sent difficult child 3 and this kid alone, together, to the classroom. Some time on that trip, difficult child 3 hit the other kid. He told us it was because the other kid had once more stuck something sharp in him (the earlier complaint which had been ignored). But it was difficult child 3 in trouble afterwards.

I get so cranky with sloppy, lazy supervision.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Who's idiotic idea was that? Is the teacher aware of how bad this combo is? I hope she knows how blessed she is to have you as the mom to one of her students - a mom who is willing to keep him home rather than set this nasty dynamic into place with jsut a bored Mallory and Wee in the same room with no real distractions.

You have a lot more patience with this type of thing than I do. Can't we put that Mallory is not allowed in the same classroom as Wee into his IEP?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The teacher knows, but not the extent of it. She was not involved in the decision - she was informed it would be this way and was desperately searching for ways to make it work.

I am going to write more letters. I have another one to write, anyway. His teacher was sick last Friday and he wanted to attend school, so I called to make sure his aid was there, and she was not available for him because she works with other students part of the day when he's normally with the sped teacher.... And principal, in all her infinite wisdom, said, "I'll hire a sped teacher sub right away so he can come!" Uh...no. How about his aide????

susiestar

Roll With It
Principal is an idiot. Serious major fool, esp in regard to sp ed kids. Why is it so hard to have aid spend day with Wee and get sub in to do her job? Unless, of course, the ohter kids only do well with the aid also. But that is NOT your problem. Sounds like provisions for when sp ed teacher is out need to be put in IEP. "If sp ed teacher that Wee is comfortable with is not at school for the day or any part of it, W''s aid, Mrs. X, will spend the entire time with him and a sub will take over her duties."

Seeems logical to me. get a doctor to back you on it, and remind them that you can still sue over all the koi w ith Wee the last few years if they make things too difficult.