Remember Me?

STILLjustamom

I've been gone awhile but thought I would check back in with you guys (old friends). I like the new look of the site.
difficult child is still in prison but should be out by the end of July. It has been just too rough with him in the situation he is in to write about it much. I'm sorry for that. He hasn't been on his medications and looks like a homeless person right now (long beard, long hair...and this in in prison where they are supposed to be clean shaven!). Hygiene bad, disordered thoughts, cutting on himself. No matter who I talk to or write to they don't do anything to help him.
But now my main concern is how to handle the homecoming at the end of July. I'm working on trying to extend his heatlh insurance which he will "age out" of in June. I wish I could say I am happy to have him coming home, but I think I'm too worried to be happy about it.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>It's tough when you know they are in prison, but getting out is what can really cause anxiety. Think about your plan carefully before you take on his care. Is he taking medications in jail? If so why is he cutting? Thinking of you as his release draws nearer...</span>

DammitJanet

Hey there SJAM. Sorry to hear how things are going with your son. Hope you can get things worked out so that you have a workable plan for when he comes home. I know it has to be extremely difficult.

SunnyFlorida

I'm thinking if you want to try and get his medical insurance extended, that would mean you'd be supporting him? ie he is incapable of self support?

What about community mental health programs? Does the justice system in your area have any recommendations or referral to programs?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE

Hi SJAM- It's good to see you.

Sunny read my mind:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm thinking if you want to try and get his medical insurance extended, that would mean you'd be supporting him? ie he is incapable of self support?

What about community mental health programs? Does the justice system in your area have any recommendations or referral to programs? </div></div>

July will be here before you know it. I would strongly urge you to contact your local MHMR (mental health mental retardation) department and start asking questions. They were involved with Rob and offered adult mental health programs (he turned them down) when he was released from his juvenile program. Perhaps they will have some ideas?

Hugs,
Suz

STILLjustamom

Yes, there is help available for him even if he does not get on my private insurance, but you know with such programs in a big city the waiting is terrible. The local MHMR agency said it would take 6-8 weeks for him to see a doctor. She said I could not make the appointment for him ahead of time (because of his age). But before I worry about that route, I am waiting to hear from my own insurance company as to whether or not they are going to extent his coverage as a "disabled dependent". But my main worry is whether or not he will follow through with any of it. I told him already that seeking treatment is a condition of his living at home. No, I don't think he will be able to work for a while. He's pretty sick right now (in the mind).

DDD

Well, DUH! Of course, we remember you!! Sure wish things were
better now but it's good to know you are hanging in there. Hugs.
DDD

Sunlight

sigh, I can imagine how you must feel. you want their lives to be better, you ahve tried and tried and you get tired of the downhill spiral. like a freight train speeding down, standing in front of it only gets you squashed.

sounds like you are nervous and rightfully so. I knew when ant came home from jail it would be different. he did good here for almost 6 months before I had to finally thrwo him out. he had a diff personality from being incarcerated. he just was older too. a man. a man who had seen and heard I dont know what. he slept with a baseball bat beside his bed. he ate like food would disappear. I went thru tons of groceries. he didnt seem to care about TV show but wanted to catch up on all the movies on DVD for a while there. he worked daily and still does. but he is still an alcoholic.

I pray things work out in an unexpectedly wonderous way...exceeding your imagined best scenario!