Remeron experiences?

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well we are trying another tact with difficult child 1's anxiety issues. He weaned off Celexa and while that has proved helpful for curbing his impulsive destructiveness when he was angry, it's made him even MORE irritable and verbally abusive, and he's easily overwhelmed. So now we are adding Remeron to the mix.

He had his second dose last night and this morning he wet the bed :surprise: That hasn't happened in a very, very long time. psychiatrist thinks it's just related to the initial sedation and says that should improve with time. I sure hope so!

Anyone else here tried this medication for themself or their difficult child to help with anxiety and/or depression?

Josie

My daughter takes Remeron for sleep and to increase her appetite. I haven't noticed any side effects. She did gain 12 lbs. which for many people would be a negative.

Jena

hey!

well you know i can add to this one, lol. Hope that's good that it helped. One thing i did notice with-the remeron is you do have to be mindful of what other medications you are mixing it with. you can just look it up online, and i'm sure doctor is aware of that also.

we did second dose last night at half of the 15mg. she was awake till late last night. so def. a difference. i will say today though she seems a tiny tiny bit calmer. no food yet, but she is drinking which for us is a huge plus!!!

good luck/ i know it isnt' easy.

flutterby

Fly away!
Worked wonders on my daughters anxiety and sleep. However, she gained a whole lot of weight (I'm thinking 13 pounds in 6 weeks, if I remember correctly) so we stopped it. I wish we could have kept it. She was a different kid on it. (She also took it in conjunction with Celexa.)

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I take Remeron for anxiety and to help with sleep. Remeron is a weird drug when used for sleep in that the lower the doseage, the better it works.

susiestar

Roll With It
I tried it many years ago for insomnia. While I didn't wet the bed, I did sleep so soundly that nothing could wake me up - including a smoke detector going off because the battery was almost dead. I didn't move when it went off, not even when husband and the kids shook me, put ice on my feet, and even yelled. I didn't take another dose. At the time I had those melt in your mouth tablets and was taking 1/4 of one. I usually take half of what the doctor rx's at first, which is why I was taking 1/4 of one.

I was only on it for 3 days when that happened. I felt tired the entire time I was on it. Even if I hadn't had the smoke alarm experience, I probably would have stopped it because I felt so sleepy all the time. Docs said it would disappear after 2 weeks or so, but I don't know if that is true.

smallworld

My daughter M has been on Remeron for more than 2 years. She takes it for severe anxiety associated with her eating disorder. It has helped a lot. She also sleeps like a log and is often difficult to awaken in the morning. But Remeron has done a great job on her anxiety.

FYI, my kids have in general done better with atypical antidepressants like Wellbutrin and Remeron than SSRIs because the atypical ADs work on different neurotransmitters.

We tried Remeron for gfg13's anxiety/depression/poor appetite and he got manic (subsided quickly though when d/c'd). I was bummed. He seems to be ultra-sensitive to many medications.

Hope the Remeron works well for your son.

Jo

Jena

we are only on the 3rd day of it yet we also cannot wait difficult child during her sleep. she also sleeps longer on it. yet she does not fall asleep right away at all. her mania is just in overdrive come 11 p.m. and she is raring to go, takes like 3 hours for her yet we are currently at half of 15mg.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I'm glad to hear that many of you have had good results. I sure hope this works, because difficult child 1 is about as pleasant as a rattlesnake in a corner right now. :grrr:

LittleDudesMom

Hey gvc,

difficult child was on a low dose and his side effects were limited to a good, solid night's sleep and some increased appetite. It also helped so much "lengthening his fuse". His highest dose (and he took it for about 3.5 years) was 30mg.

Good luck, hope this really helps him.

Sharon

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks LDM. He's definitely sleeping more! I think he's eating about the same... maybe a little more. That's okay though. He's very slim and a few extra pounds would do him good. He's at 30mg right now, too. Hopefully I'll see a noticeable improvement in his attitude by middle of next week. For now, I'm having husband act as parental interface to avoid getting my head bit off. :winks:

K

Kjs

Several years ago we had Remeron added to difficult child's Lamictal. Although it says it helps with sleep it did the opposite. He was awake for like a week. Made him much more irritable and we stopped. Seemed to throw off his whole schedule and we had to start over. It works so well with so many, guess my difficult child is just a different mix. Hope it works for you. Finding the right medication is a tremendous relief to both difficult child and the families. Good luck.