Remeron for sleep with no depression

mandy615

My difficult child has ADHD and has a hard time sleeping. He is also very small for his age-50lbs. The psychiatrist just prescribed Remeron for him to help with sleep and to increase appetite (a common side effect). Remeron is an anti-depressant. difficult child is not depressed. I am aware that AD medications can be used for other uses but I worry about the "Black Box" warning regarding depression and suicide. Is it only a danger if the patient IS depressed or will it then cause depression and dark thoughts?
There is a family history of depression.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I don't have any advice on Remeron.. but I wanted to say that my daughter was prescribed Trazadone for sleep issues years ago, which is also an anti-depressant. I don't recall it causing her any issues (except sleepiness!)

mandy615

We tried Trazadone and it was ok except that he was so groggy no matter the dose or the timing. The therapist called it The Trazadone Hangover. The interesting thing is the increase of appetite side effect. We could sure use that...

tammyjh

I don't know about Remeron in children but I was on Remeron for a few months. I was on it for anxiety and depression which it did help a little but the weight gain was terrible. I am not a big person and actually wanted to gain weight but put on 20lbs in 9 weeks and was still gaining. Made me feel bloated and crave sweets. I also had restless leg syndrome about a half hour after taking it...also made me irritable and cranky. I thought the side effects outweighed the possible positives for the medication. It seems the lower the dose, the more tired one feels and the sleepy effects get less with increase. As far as for kids, I really don't know. My daughter had a pretty bad experience with Zoloft but is doing ok on Prozac. Actually, I don't know if its helping a whole lot but she's not off the wall like she was while on the Zoloft. I would probably give it a try but watch him closely. If you don't like what you see, take him off it. You might have to wean him off it but I went cold turkey with- no problems. Its different for everyone.