removing child from self contained

dirtyred3

My daughter is in the 6th grade and has been in self contained since the 4th grade. I thought that the smaller classroom size would benefit her because she has adhd and has had behavioral issues since peschool. The issue that we're facing now is that of self esteem because of being in this setting. She has friends in reg. ed. classes and she is embarassed to be in self contained. She goes to 1 resource class and does better than she does in self contained. However any little thing that she does, the administrators revoke her priviledge and she's stuck back in self contained. I feel that she is ready to transition out but in the mtgs. if she has any referrals the team will not agree to remove her permanently from self contained. I WANT HER OUT! Please help me. How can I have her placed in reg. ed classes?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hello and welcome!

Can you give us more information please? What are some of the examples of "the little things" that she does?

slsh

member since 1999
Is the team willing to have her in mainstream for art, music, and/or lunch/recess (this would be least preferable because lunch/recess is more unstructured)? I think the goal is to move her slowly, not just have her in either self-contained or fully mainstreamed. By moving her first for art or music, you have her in a reg ed setting but the academics shouldn't be stressing her out. Then you could move on to an academic subject that she likes and/or does well in. Set her up for success.

Not knowing what the "little things" are, it's hard to know whether they're being overly severe. It is highly unrealistic to expect "perfect" behavior in any setting, from any kid. If her "little things" are comparable to things kids do in the regular classroom, then they should not be held against her. Just because she's been in a self-contained placement, she should not be held to a higher standard of behavior than the kids in mainstream. At the same time, it is reasonable for school staff to hold her to a similar standard of behavior as her peers if she wants to move back into mainstream.

If she does not have any social/emotional goals on her IEP, it's time to beef up the IEP so that the SD is addressing that issue.

Finally, IDEA guarantees free and appropriate public education in the least restrictive environment (FAPE in LRE). Obviously, a self-contained classroom is pretty restrictive. I also believe (and this is just my opinion) that some SDs tend to think it's easier to keep kids in self-contained than it is to provide the supports to move a student back into a more mainstream setting. You may have a fight on your hands, but I think it can be done. Another thing to consider is that junior high is looming - far better to work on reintegrating into mainstream on the elementary level rather than at the jr. high level. Do you know what their plans are for her in terms of placement in jr high?

T

TeDo

If her "little things" are comparable to things kids do in the regular classroom, then they should not be held against her. Just because she's been in a self-contained placement, she should not be held to a higher standard of behavior than the kids in mainstream. At the same time, it is reasonable for school staff to hold her to a similar standard of behavior as her peers if she wants to move back into mainstream.

I also believe (and this is just my opinion) that some SDs tend to think it's easier to keep kids in self-contained than it is to provide the supports to move a student back into a more mainstream setting. You may have a fight on your hands, but I think it can be done.

slsh has some good questions/suggestions for you to take to the sd. If I were you, I would call an IEP meeting and find an advocate to go with you. It sounds like she is due for the "inclusion test" after being in self-contained for so long. Starting small is a great idea and they really shouldn't have any qualms about it. I can sympathize with the part about small things being punished too severely. I am dealing with a principal that literally twists situations to make it grounds for suspension. I have called an IEP meeting to discuss our new diagnosis and basically taking that power out of his hands. Said principal is also pushing to remove difficult child from mainstream classes and putting him into a resource room most of his day. My difficult child generally does well in school but just needs extra help to understand what is being taught this year and the sd is not wanting to pay for an aide. It will be an uphill battle but I have my spiked shoes ready to push. lol.

Don't let the issue go. You know your child best and you are also her ONLY advocate in this crazy educational system of ours. Be her warrior and don't settle for less. Good Luck!

dirtyred3

Hello and welcome!

Can you give us more information please? What are some of the examples of "the little things" that she does?
For example, she was suspended in ISS (1 day) because her teacher gave her a referral to the office for "walking ahead of the teachers more than once, when being walked to bus duty or lunch room". I just believe that had it been another child, that child would've been asked to slow down and wait for the teacher.

JJJ

Being in self-contained should not be used as a punishment. I would call an IEP meeting and tell them that you feel that the SC room is no longer the LRE and that you want her to be mainstreamed for more of the day. Perhaps do a gradual plan where she goes to 2 mainstream classes in February, 3 in March, etc.

An ISS for walking too fast???? Check your school handbook, I bet the teacher is way outside the boundaries of the discipline code.