Requesting an IEP meeting

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by joneshockey, Jul 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joneshockey

    joneshockey Guest

    My 3 1/2 yr. old son has just be diagnosed with ADHD, ODD and Mood Disorder not otherwise specified. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a way for me to request a meeting still this summer to discuss placement in ECSE (earily childhood Special Education) classroom without him currently having an IEP? He was tested last winter for speech and language, but at that time he did not qualify for the program. Now that he has had a full psychiatric evalution I have good feeling that he may now qualify under emotionally impaired. What are your thoughts on this matter?
  2. jal

    jal Member

    You need to fill out a request for evaluation and send it to your Director of Special Education for your school district. You may be able to find the form on your school districts website. Be sure to send it registered or certified mail, because once it is received the clock starts ticking for them to respond and get the ball rolling. If you do it informally, being that it is summertime, you probably will not get any response. That is why the certified/registered method is important. I have had an emergency summer meeting once, but only my child already had an IEP in place. Good luck!
  3. JJJ

    JJJ Active Member

    Often districts do not have forms. You can accomplish the same thing by writing a letter and sending it certified, return-receipt mail to the school.

    Dear Special Education Director:

    My son, B2, has been diagnosed with ADHD, ODD, and Mood Disorder not otherwise specified. I am requesting a full and complete evaluation by the school to determine the negative educational impact.

    (you can go to the sticky at the top of this Special Education forum and it gives you links to a bunch of sample letters)
  4. dmccreary

    dmccreary Guest

    1. ;):confused:
  5. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    The child does have to have an IEP to get Special Education services unless the school district wants to fund it. It can be done with-a 504 Plan, but chances of that happening are slim to none unless you're in an exceptional sd.

    With that said, it's the sd's responsibility to "Child Find." (See Sp Ed 101 Archives for additional info on this.) With your school district's track record of overlooking his problems.....

    FYI, having a formal diagnosis does not automatically qualify a child for special education.

    ditto the letter via Certified Mail.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.