Residential looks necessary, IEP next week

MICHL

difficult child recently had psychiatric hospital., has refused to attend school all but one day this school year. They disenrolled him from the Special Education non public school. Mental health assess done, I will ask what recs are on mon. IEP on wed. husband and I feel residential is necessary. Hope school agrees. If residential is not the rec, I'll bring an advocate to mtg. What do you all think? He is 17, 18 in may 2013. I think the fact that police had to put him on 72 hr hold, and photos I sent her of punched holes in doors may help our case

T

TeDo

I guess I am lost as to what the school has to do with a residential placement. Wouldn't that be between you, the professional that did the assessment and a case manager/social worker or something??

MICHL

School would need to pay for the education portion, and county mental health the other portion. We don't mind paying part of it also if required.... I don't know, as I've never done this before

T

TeDo

Is it a combination setting where education is provided "on campus" of the residential setting?? I know of residential settings here that are just residential and the kids are enrolled and bussed (separate bus) to a local EBD school.

MICHL

I don't know that yet. Hope that residential, and quick placement are in the cards, and I don't have to get advocate. Will find out more tomorrow.

pasajes4

The school will not say that he needs residential placement. That is up to you and his psychiatrist. Once residential placement is in place, they will usually have some sort of either schooling at the facility or they will send them to a school in the district that the facility is in. Research the facilities in your vacinity to determine which one will be best suited to your particular situation. The reason that the school will not recommend placement is that they become responsible for paying for it.

MICHL

By psychiatrist, do you mean our insurance psychiatrist, or the mental health psychiatrist that is who does the assessment for the school and puts in the recommendations, or do I ask that one to contact my insurance psychiatrist?

T

TeDo

difficult child's psychiatrist, the one that sees him regularly and manages his medications. The one that KNOWS him.

T

TeDo

No, the school doesn't need anything from the psychiatrist. You and the psychiatrist meet and decide if residential is needed. The two of you agree on what is necessary. The school is notified by the new school after all is said and done. All you have to do with the school is get an IEP that works in place so he's covered as long as he's in that school. That is all. The school has absolutely NO say over residential placement. They don't even need to know you're considering it. Residential placement can take some time and that knowledge will just make most schools not even try to come up with a workable IEP. The thinking is "if he's going to be leaving anyway, why should we even bother". Know what I mean???

pasajes4

Once your son is in a residential setting and is attending school at the facility or another district, the current school/school district is in no way obligated to do anything. The hospital/school will withdraw him from his current district.

T

TeDo

That is for the county worker to take care of. There is absolutely nothing the current school has to do with it. I'm not sure if they have to pay or not but I do know they have no say whatsoever. Usually, the EBD school is associated with a public school. They know what they are doing so you don't have to worry about that and the current school, whether they have to pay or not, does not have a say.

T

TeDo

Yes, unless they consider him a danger to himself or others, he can "sign" himself out at 18.

JJJ

I think everyone needs to be aware that the school--residential connection is different in every state. Our district has a couple of children placed residentially via their IEP. The school pays the educational and the residential fees, minus whatever can be billed to Medicaid. Others, like Kanga, are placed via a mental health grant from the state and the school is obligated, by law, to pay for their educational fees up until graduation (21/22 if necessary).

Sometimes, placing a child in Residential Treatment Center (RTC) is considered a unilateral placement by the parents, and the school pays for nothing.

MICHL -- the fact that he was already placed at a non-public school and that he has been unable to attend school makes him a possible candidate for school-funded Residential Treatment Center (RTC), because they clearly aren't educating him right now. Good luck at your IEP meeting.

TerryJ2

Best of luck!
I was soooooo close to doing this ... I still have the paperwork in a folder, ready to go. My difficult child is on a good path right now but I'm always waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Hugs.

JJJ

If it is chosen as placement via IEP, one of the goals should be to get difficult child to accept that he needs treatment beyond his 18th birthday. The other should be to make sure he has enough credits that if he forces the issue, he'd be eligible for graduation. They should also work on adult living skills with him.