Residential treatment centers

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by maril, Jan 11, 2009.

  1. maril

    maril New Member

    Any information on RTCs would be much appreciated. Can't type much; injured hand. TIA.
  2. Jena

    Jena New Member

    Hi, sorry about the hand.... umm what state are you in? If you dont' wanna post you can pm me. I don't know if your in new york area. If you are i have list of info i just got
  3. maril

    maril New Member

    Thanks, Jennifer! I am in PA. I've been Googling; some info found. Don't know how to determine best bets for placement, though.
  4. klmno

    klmno Active Member

    Someone posted recently on the Teens/substance abuse area about getting their difficult child in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC)- I think the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was in PA, if I'm not mistaken. I'm in VA and am starting to look a little for info around here. Do you want your difficult child in PA or does it matter to you? Also, there are a couple of other members who might pop in later this evening or tomorrow with more experience.
  5. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    Marilynne, if I had to place my son in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC), I would only consider placements recommended by a psychiatrist and/or educational consultant. I think you can get into bad situations if you don't obtain professional recommendations.
  6. maril

    maril New Member

  7. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    When is your difficult child 18? What are the major issues that need to be resolved? Are you working closely with a board-certified child/adolescent psychiatrist? Is your difficult child taking any medications, and if so, are they helping? Is he in therapy?

    I know you're having trouble typing, but I'm just trying to figure out if your difficult child really needs Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or if something less drastic might help.
  8. maril

    maril New Member

    He'll be 18 in Sept. Major issues:
    1. Chronic tardiness and unexcused absences from school - working with school since beginning of year - currently on verge of being placed in yet another school. 2. Substance abuse - Suspended from D&A OP partial - can be considered for readmit after 30 days.
    3. ADHD, ODD - has been on board with same BH facility for one year - continued with psychiatrist throughout but currently medication free (issues with-stimulant and an SSRI); first counselor there not much effect - now have family counselor and case manager on board but difficult child skipped appointment. last week (husband and I went, though). Referred us to Crisis Intervention for emergent svcs - have enlisted their help but waiting for referral to go through for home-based assignment.
    4. Tough nut to crack - have restrictions in place but continues to miss bus (school is far - can't get ride every day if bus missed); party boy stays out at times all night; when confronted, becomes violent; also destroys our property (two doors).

    As either the case mgr or therapist remarked, difficult child is "holding us hostage."

    There are days when difficult child is compliant but other days where he is completely out of control.
  9. smallworld

    smallworld Moderator

    I'm not sure I'd look at a long-term Residential Treatment Center (RTC), but I would strongly recommend a short-term (30 to 60 day) inpatient stay where your difficult child could be evaluated and treated for what ails him. It sounds to me as if the mental health professionals aren't getting at the root of the problem (seems like more than ADHD/ODD) and aren't putting the proper interventions into place. The right diagnosis and the right medications can make a world of difference.

    I'll PM you some names of facilities I've heard good things about.
  10. Rotsne

    Rotsne Banned

    Sorry, you have to provide more info. A Residential Treatment Center (RTC) can be a lot of things and the best in the class are those who target their expertise against a specific targetgroup.

    Are we talking eating disoders, Dyslexia, ADHD, gender issues etc?

    When we are talking Residential Treatment Center (RTC) then education is out. The treatment is the priority. However some belongs really in the category "therapeutic boarding school" and those you shall watch carefully because when you are taking both education and treatment on at the same time, one of them is going to suffer. Credits earned at the school are often hard to transfer over statelines or countrylines (Most of the treatment centers in Mexico have been shut down and the government has issued a warning against them).

    Try to find one close to you and provide a safe method to communicate with your child from day one without staff interference. Don't accept a period for adjustment. There may be an attempt of manipulation in order to be released, but you know why you took this descision so there should not be a problem for you to talk with your child from day one.
  11. dadside

    dadside New Member

    "Residential Treatment Center (RTC)" covers a range of places, so the first step is identifying the issues (and their depth/extent) calling for such a placement. Most RTCs I know about deal with behavior-related issues, and often drug abuse as well. Some are a small step from being a psychiatric hospital., and others may look like "just" a boarding school. If the issues have a physical cause/base vs. "only" acquired behavioral troubles, that calls for a very different assessment and treatment focus. And, whether or not they are called an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) may depend on state law or on marketing (including funding) considerations. Effectiveness depends a lot on getting a good match between facility and needs.

    Academics vary also, but most will provide what I'd call just adequate education. State laws generally require education, but the focus is properly on addressing the issues that led to the student's placement.

    There is an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in Pennsylvania that I'd describe as a "tough" place, and they deal with some very difficult behaviors. They sometimes get some unfortunate publicity, but remain one of the best around for what they achieve. You need to dig a little. And, you need to understand why any place does what it does, including any restrictions on communication. (There are some excellent reasons for limiting communication, and there are some not-so-good ones as well -- more reasons to dig a little.) It is possible to find something negative about most places, and much much harder to find independent good reports.

    If your son has been getting for many months all that is available while he still lives at home and there is no real improvement, and any diagnosis seems right, I'd lean toward a long-term placement. That could be anywhere from 9 months and up for a place with a standard basic "program". If he is already getting services from (funded by) his local schools, this would just be another step, and may well prove cheaper for them over time, especially as it should prove effective.
  12. SearchingForRainbows

    SearchingForRainbows Active Member


    I agree with smallworld - in my humble opinion, it sounds like there is something else going on with your difficult child. I know from your sig, he isn't on medications now, but, in my humble opinion, if there is another diag causing his horrendous behavior, he might have been given the wrong medications to begin with. I'm glad smallworld is sending you some facilities to look into.

    difficult child 1 got much worse before we began to see a gradual improvement. difficult child 1 didn't begin to improve until he was properly diagnosed and began taking medication. Now, while he still has lots of issues, he is much easier to live with.

    I'm sorry you're going through HE77!!! I understand as there were times in the past I didn't think I could survive another day with difficult child 1. Hang in there. Things will improve once your difficult child is given a correct diag and appropriate treatment.

    Sorry about your hand - hope it heals quickly!!! Thinking of you... WFEN
  13. SomewhereOutThere

    SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

    I third that it sounds like more than ADHD/ODD. Agree with short-term help for now. And medications? Will he not take them?
  14. maril

    maril New Member

    Thank you, thank you to all! Very helpful and informative.

    I wanted to respond to some specific points made but am typing with one hand ... slow process ... plus have a lot on my plate today. I have to get moving off the keyboard soon but would like to express that the collective experience and expertise are much appreciated. Likely, I will add more later.

    I will go over the info that was sent in the PM to me. Thanks! :D

    by the way - no medications now, as difficult child has yet to be rule out for other diagnosis. We're not sure, but it appeared medications might have been exacerbating his depression and rages; psychiatrist agreed to take him off Vyvanse and sertraline. Plus, BH professional remarked to husband and me that prescription medications might be ineffective or otherwise not good in a situation where they might be combined with illicits.