Results from this morning's psychiatrist appointment for difficult child 1

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, I feel a little more hopeful now.

psychiatrist quizzed difficult child 1 on what's been going on -- I was very good and kept my mouth shut until asked for my take on things. It's important for psychiatrist to give difficult child 1 a chance to express himself, and even if he's having trouble describing things or explaining things because that's all part of it.

Based on difficult child 1's input, my input, our family history (SO glad that this psychiatrist knows the intimate details for everyone in our family for the last decade) he's pretty sure that difficult child 1 is like a mini version of husband. There is definitely a mood disorder going on that has him emotionally handicapped and affecting the rest of his life. The issues are different than difficult child 2's, but not entirely.

difficult child 1 has been telling me lately that sometimes he feels "crazy" -- but he hasn't been able to explain beyond that. Well, today he finally got some adjectives to use for it and gave a better description. He said it's as if there are two parts of him: one is slower, and the other one is racing ahead and pulling him along. And he has no control over it. It's not necessarily mania, but the psychiatrist felt there is a grandiose aspect, and sometimes a euphoric aspect -- but more consistently (lately anyway) there's been the irritability for no apparent reason. So he's calling it a sort of mini-mixed state.

For now, though, the diagnosis on the form is still ADHD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD). But we're adding Tegretol to the mix and see if that helps.

So fingers crossed! I'm just glad to be trying SOMETHING because it's become quite clear that we can't continue on status quo.

Ta-ta! I'm off to the pharmacy! :praying:

crazymama30

Tegretol and Trileptal are very similiar, I believe trileptal has an oxygen molecule removed or something like that, so if Trileptal works for your husband I would think that it would be likely that Tegretol would work for difficult child 1. Our psychiatrist says that in 1st generations, like father and son, mother and son, so on, similiar medications may work.

Here's hoping for some relief.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wow it is great that he was able to verbalize his emotions.
K was able to finally talk to her psychiatrist at her last apt. as well. It feels so good doesn't it?
Not that you want the SX but you want to know what they are going through and the psychiatrist as well.

I hope Tegretol can help. Our psychiatrist favors Tegretol over Trileptal for kids. Just because of her experiences.
Who knows?
Everyone is different some psychiatrist's would have thrown the diagnosis of BiPolar (BP) on him today others would wait and watch... this is such a bizzare field we have all been thrown into.

M

ML

Gosh I sure hope it helps. Good job, mom. I'm proud of him for finding the words to so eloquently describe what he is feeling. Good job difficult child!