retired vet info..

K

Kjs

I had a very informative conversation with an old fashion vet.
If anyone remembers I posted through out the summer about the severe allergic reaction my 6 year old dog was having.
Seems as if we were at the vet once or more a week. Even had a stay in the hospital.

This is what this man told me.

At the first sign of allergy make sure you wash their feet frequently. They carry the allergins on their feet, into the house, spread it on themselves when they scratch.

Buy over the counter fish oil caplets. Give them one a day, and you can open up a capsule and spread the liquid over the sores, if they scratch themself open.

If the allergy does not improve with this, add 1 caplet of OTC Benadryl. One caplet per 40 pounds.

Bath with medicated shampoo. Can try oatmeal shampoo first.

This was so interesting because after an entire summer of vet visits it came down to a perscription the vet wrote for Amino Fatty Acid (gel cap) twice a day.
Benadryl
Medicated Shampoo.

Now I find out all is available OTC. silly me paid vet price.

Now, per an previous post I saw, how do you wash their feet? This dog of mine will run up and down the runner when I tell her to wipe her feet. How will I get to WASH them? Will Baby wipes work? A bucket for her to step in before she enters the house?

nvts

If it's nice outside, you can just rinse her feet in a bucket. If it's too cold, keep a spray bottle right next to the door full of water, spray her feet down and then have her run up and down the runner.

Don't you love the fact that we get blessed with high maintenance kids AND dogs?

:rofl:

Beth

mstang67chic

Going Green
Wouldn't she just track the allergens onto the runner? Maybe spray her feet and wipe off with a towel or get a pack of shop rags and wash them. Not sure actually but just a thought.

tiredmommy

It's interesting he said to wash the dog's feet because we don't wear shoes in the house for the same reason. Plus, we frequently wash outerwear. You may want to wipe her down with a doggy wipe when she comes in so as to remove any pollens on the surface of her coat.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
TM

That's a great suggestion with the doggie wipe. Cuz I know my dogs like to lay and roll around when they're outside.

You know what?

Our vet swears Molly is allergic to fleas. Seemed reasonable. She'd chew herself so horribly that she'd have no fur on her hinny or tail.

I think the vet was wrong. I think it's a plant allergy.

It's dead of winter. Molly still has fleas. She's still scratching. (haven't quite wiped out the summer fleas yet) But funny thing, she's not all chewed up with open sores and no fur. Her coat and skin are fine.

Hmmmm. I'm gonna try that remedy from the retired vet on her. It makes sense to me. Back when Molly was our only dog, and I had plenty of time to bathe her regularly she didn't have a problem.

I hate giving her the vet allergy pills cuz it makes her dopey an she drinks gallons of water. And they're not cheap either.

Thanks for the tips.

tiredmommy

Duckie's worst pollen allergies are grass and ragweed, she had horrible reactions during testing. Here, grass starts to pollinate in early May and ragweed starts in mid-August. I'd imagine you are 5 to 10 days ahead of us.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would use baby wipes for sensitive skin or newborns. Dogs have more sensitive skin than we do, or so I am told. I would also wipe about 5 inches up the leg, just because the way they walk through the grass.

Nice to know we are not the only ones who leave shoes at the door.

Susie