Retirement Benefits Based On Your Last Two Years of Income ????

DDD

A lady came into my store yesterday and appeared to be 60ish, bright and pleasant. We chatted for awhile and this is what she told me. Since many of our CD family members are looking for work I decided to share but, of course, I don't "know" that it is true.

She told me that she worked at a good job for thirty years. Then...she had to quit due to degeneration in her spine etc. After two years of not working she found a new job for two years before filing for retirement benefits. According to her the amount of your SS retirement is based on your income from your last two years of employment...only. So her high income of 30 years didn't count and she now receives a much lower monthly check that she anticipated...thus, she's out selling to supplement.

Somewhere, from someone, years ago I heard this same story but had forgotten about it. I'm not sure whether it is true or not but IF SO that is something everyone ought to know.

The other thing that I DO know is true but many women don't know...if you get divorced and do not remarry you can collect SS retirement benefits based on your former husbands work record. Yikes, I would be in great shape IF I had known that thirty plus years ago. DDD

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
http://www.socialsecurity.gov/retire2/yourdivspouse.htm

"If you are divorced, your ex-spouse can receive benefits based on your record (even if you have remarried) if:

Your marriage lasted 10 years or longer;

Your ex-spouse is unmarried;

Your ex-spouse is age 62 or older;

The benefit that your ex-spouse is entitled to receive based on his or her own work is less than the benefit he or she would receive based on your work; and

You are entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits.

If you have not applied for retirement benefits, but can qualify for them, your ex-spouse can receive benefits on your record if you have been divorced for at least two years.

If your divorced spouse remarries, he or she generally cannot collect benefits on your record unless their later marriage ends (whether by death, divorce or annulment).

If your divorced spouse is eligible for retirement benefits on his or her own record we will pay that amount first. But if

the benefit on your record is a higher amount, he or she will get a combination of benefits that equals that higher amount (reduced for age).

your divorced spouse has reached full retirement age and is eligible for a spouse's benefit and his or her own retirement benefit, he or she has a choice.

Your divorced spouse can choose to receive only the divorced spouse's benefits when he or she applies online and delay receiving retirement benefits until a later date. If retirement benefits are delayed, a higher benefit may be received at a later date based on the effect of delayed retirement credits.

If your former spouse

continues to work while receiving benefits, the same earnings limits apply to him or her as apply to you. If he or she is eligible for benefits this year and is also working, you can use our earnings test calculator to see how those earnings would affect those benefit payments.

will also receive a pension based on work not covered by Social Security, such as government or foreign work, his or her Social Security benefit on your record may be affected."

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Also, if you go here: https://secure.ssa.gov/RIL/SiView.do and set up an online account you can log in and see your expected benefit.

I have not worked for 6+ years since my youngest was born and it still shows a positive dollar amount I would receive if I were to continue making zero dollars until age 62, 65, or 70. I am 41 years old and have already worked enough to get Medicare as well.

Dixies_fire

I received a letter not too long ago from social security administration that had my average income over my entire work history and what I would be eligible for if I had to apply now.

Also my mom is on disability as is my aunt and its based off what she made now my aunt was a school teacher for 19 years and my mom worked minimum wage jobs her whole life or unskilled office work and they both get about the same, I think my aunt gets maybe 200.00 more, she just also get most of her pension from the board of education also so she "should" be living better than my mom.

If I was my aunt I'd be pretty upset about this considering she made at least twice what my mom made most of her life and is five years older than my mom and they both applied for disability the same year. It isn't enough to live on by itself that's for sure.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
I heard they take your 35 highest paying years and determine it from that. Not sure if it is true or not.