Revoke consent for Special Education

mawmastewart

It never ends...
What are the approved private placement schools in your area? Sometimes the threat of having to pay to transport and fund a private education becomes motivation for administration to concede to your requests. Demand he be removed from the SPED class and demand a new case manager. I can not think of any reason why/how they could justify not changing your case manager.

BloodiedButUnbowed

Special education teacher and case manager here.....

I advise against revoking consent for SpEd services for a few reasons:

1) Your child still has a number of years of K-12 schooling in front of him;

2) The nature of your child's diagnoses makes him more likely to be subject to discipline at school including suspension and expulsion, both of which are regulated under an IEP - and wouldn't be under a 504;

3) The reason for your revocation isn't based on the fact that your child is doing so well that he no longer receives any benefit from his IEP.

While Section 504 has protections they are essentially toothless, and most importantly you lose the right to due process (lawsuit) which oftentimes frightens districts into doing what they must for a child. NOT SO with a 504, you are on your own. I have lived that experience with my Difficult Stepson who had a 504 plan. It did not help him one bit. Students who require structured environments, have difficulty following rules and accepting authority, and frequently find themselves "in the office" will not be successful with a 504 plan.

Reading your story it sounds like your issue is with that particular teacher and principal, the latter of whom obviously does not understand IDEA and her obligations to students with special needs. They are not disciplined in the same manner as non-disabled students if their disability is the cause of the behavior. His IEP will allow you to put these nasty women in their place. Reason enough to keep it! :)

Some schools are wonderful and others are less so. You got the booby prize for now. However that doesn't mean you need to settle for the crumbs the district throws your way.

You have the legal right to due process at district expense. I would go that route as it is obvious that you are very dissatisfied, that the school seems to have done many things improperly and even illegally, and you don't trust that the school will correct the issues working collaboratively with you.

Last edited: