Rice protein now indicated in pet food UPDATE!

dreamer

I could not access the page you gave the url for-----I wonder if it is the same as I posted about or yet ANOTHER? Yikes this is so scary!

tiredmommy

Here's the text, from MSNBC:

Chemical found in second pet-food ingredient
Nationwide recall expands to include rice protein, FDA says

Updated: 10:40 a.m. ET April 18, 2007
WASHINGTON - An industrial chemical that led to a nationwide recall of more than 100 brands of cat and dog foods has been found to contaminate a second pet food ingredient, expanding the recall further.

The chemical, melamine, is believed to have contaminated rice protein concentrate used to make a variety of Natural Balance Pet Foods products for both dogs and cats, the Food and Drug Administration said Wednesday. Previously, the chemical was found to contaminate another ingredient, wheat gluten, used by at least six other pet food and treat manufacturers.

Lothlorien

Oh for goodness sakes...will this nonsense ever end????

I give my dog Iams....mature, dry. Is this safe? At this point, I just want to know which food are 100% safe.

I had given her about a 1/2 a can of Alpo right before the original recall had come out (which did not include the Alpo at that time). She had loose bowels one day in the kitchen and the next day all over my living room rug. I threw the can out and the next day or two, the recall surfaced. I haven't given her canned food since.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If this thing doesn't stop soon, my dogs are going to be in danger of starving to death.

I was buying them the food with the rice gluten...... grrrrrr. Well, not that brand. But if I can't do the store brands I don't know what I'm going to do. I have 3 BIG dogs. I can't possibly afford to cook homemade meals for them every single day. And I just don't have the time to do it.

SRL

Like everyone with pets I'm worried too. I'm trying to switch my cat off of kitten food since he's getting fat and twice now he's not tolerated the other foods well. A fat cat might beat the alternative though.

There's some misinformation out there that Nutro brand is effected:
Statement by Nutro Products on
Rice Protein Concentrate Recall

City of Industry, CA (April 19, 2007)—In response to recent media inquiries regarding a pet food recall announced for certain Natural Balance products with rice protein concentrate containing melamine, Nutro Products wishes to provide the following important information:
(1) It has been reported that the recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten) provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company.

(2) Nutro has never purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

(3) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important alternative source of protein for pets, especially for those with sensitivities to certain proteins.

(4) Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro’s Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra® brands.

tiredmommy

An added twist, from ABC news:
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3058844&CMP=OTC-RSSFeeds0312

Officials: Pet Food Poison May Have Been Intentional

FDA Investigators Say Chinese Companies May Have Added Melamine to Appear to Boost Protein Content
By DAVID KERLEY and BRIAN HARTMAN

April 19, 2007 — For the first time, investigators are saying the chemical that has sickened and killed pets in the United States may have been intentionally added to pet food ingredients by Chinese producers.

Food and Drug Administration investigators say the Chinese companies may have spiked products with the chemical melamine so that they would appear, in tests, to have more value as protein products.

Lothlorien

Sickening!

I can't, for the life of me, reason out why we are buying these products from out of the country. What's next, buying food products from the Taliban?

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Its sad that the rule seems to be "anything to make a buck". I'm sure they buy foreign because it is cheaper. It is sad that someone's pet must pay the price (literally)......

Lothlorien

NOt just pets, though. I just wonder how much of this junk is in our foods and we don't even know it. Do we really believe tha tthe FDA is testing everything that come through our borders? Obviously, it's not.