RIP Tim Russert

Fran

Former desparate mom
I liked him. I can just imagine that his hometown is mourning. His dad, wife and son must be in total shock.

smallworld

My husband called me on his cell on his way home from work to tell me the sad news. The city of Washington, Difficult Child, is in mourning, too. He will definitely be missed.

I read that Tom Brokaw will be doing a tribute to Tim Russert during the "Meet the Press" slot this Sunday morning.

Nancy

I heard the news Tim's death this afternoon while driving and immediately called my husband who was shocked beyond belief. husband went to law school with Tim and we followed his career for years. Sunday morning in our house was spent with husband and I watching Meet the Press as I ironed in the family room. We always commented on how much talent he had and husband often said he was just another guy in law school but became the most successful of anyone in the class.

Two weeks ago husband sent an email to Tim telling him that Tim mispoke when he reported that on the eve of Obama's acceptance speech it would be the 40th anniversary of the "I Have a Dream Speech" by Martin Luther King. husband kiddingly reminded him that King made that speech in 1963 so i could not be the 40th anniversary but of course deferring to Tim in case husband heard him wrong. Tim sent him an email back acknowledging his mistake. That's the way husband and his former classmates were, they followed Tim's every word, the respected him, they loved it when they could find any small slip up because there hardly ever were any.

Tim Russert made the world a better place. His loss is huge.

Nancy

SRL

I always listened to the radio broadcast every Sunday after I got home from church. A great loss to journalism.

Sara PA

I have NPR on at work. I had a coworker in my office and we were doing something that involved constant talking. I caught the voice on the radio say "...the host of Meet the Press" in that tone of voice. I knew right away what they were saying but I couldn't believe it. I watch a lot of NBC/MSNBC and during this past primary season it seemed like he was on Morning Joe and/or Today every day.

I'll miss his sense of humor about politics. He loved the absurdities of it.

He wrote that great book about his father. Who would have guessed his father would out live him?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I really liked and admired him. He was tough and fair. He will be missed.

That is a perfect way to describe him. Tough and Fair.

I loved when he was on the Today show talking about the book he wrote as a tribute to his dad - I just thought he was such a wonderful human being. I loved listening to his commentaries. I will really miss him.

N

Nomad

Thank you for posting this.
This death really bothered me. Yes, very surprising...very sad. When you think of it...how many of us know someone his age? It is a shock.

I don't watch much TV at all, and very recently I started watching him. It's silly, but all I watch is Oprah and once in awhile a few different...very varied news shows (and I'm not that crazy about Oprah recently. LOL!)

I thought those sound bites from the political candidates were good ones. Pharaphrasing....great journalist/fair, etc. I also was touched hearing about his strong religious faith and admiration for his father.

Larry King read a quote or two from his book. He wanted to make sure his son felt loved, but did not suffer from entitlement.

I broke down in tears.

Nancy

He loved politics period. He learned how to interrogate through his law schooling and he did expertly. He loved his family more than anything else, he loved his country and his church. What a role model when this country needs them so badly.

What they say about him being exactly like he was on TV is so true. He was so unpretentious, so not full of himself. He thought he was just a regular guy and made everyone else feel that way. Like one of his college buddies said, he was so smart and had this drive yet he was not above roaming the dorm halls looking for crackers in the middle of the night.

I am heartbroken for his family and for our country. He was so looking forward to this election. But as one of the journalists said last night, he now knows who will win.

Nancy

Coookie

This hit me hard too. Although I may not have agreed with all of his views, he handled his guests fairly and just wanted the truth. He was such a likable guy. :(

My heart hurts for his family. :(

Not much older than I am. Certainly makes you think about your own mortality.

He will be missed greatly.