ripening tomatoes?

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> looking for a fast way to ripen tomatoes. i've never had to do this before with-tomatoes from our produce store....they have always been darn near perfect in the past...firm/not hard, red & juicy. for some reason this batch is rather hard...not fully ripe.

so, clever people, how do i get my tomatoes to ripen. stick them on the patio for a day? any tricks to this?

kris
</span> </span> </span>

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> thnks, witz.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wrap them in newspaper... put in window. Last year when we had an early freeze I had to pull my tomatoes before they were ripe... I found this little trick on some tomato website... it actually worked!!!
You could try one with and one without...

donna723

I've always heard that you put them in a brown paper bag and put the bag on the window sill till they get ripe.

That's what my grandma always used to do anyway.

rejectedmom

Yep, newspaper and/or paper bags are the way to go. When tomatoes ripen they release gases that speed along the process. A paper wrap allows these gases to accumulate around the tomatoe in higher concentrations while also allowing them to breathe and mosture to disapate so they do not rot as they would in plastic.
At least that is what my dad taught me as he always had tomatoes in his garden when I was a kid and during the season our windosills were loaded with them. -RM

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
When I was growing up we always had tomatoes sitting on the windowsill (in the summer, anyway). I thought for the longest time that was where they were supposed to be stored.....(they usually didn't stay there very long, we would take a tomato and a salt shaker outside and eat them like apples. No I don't salt apples but it sure tastes good on garden fresh tomatoes.....

kris

<span style='font-size: 11pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #3333FF"> thanks, everyone. i put them on the patio table this a.m. they feel much better & smell ripe now.

i can remember my mom putting tomatoes on the kitchen windowsill. we don't have a kitchen window with-or with-o a sill lol.

kris
</span> </span> </span>