Risperidol/Risperidone info and experiences

EastCoastChris

risperidone (oral)

Pronunciation: ris PER i done
Brand: Risperdal

What is the most important information I should know about risperidone?
• Call your doctor immediately if you experience uncontrollable movements of the mouth, tongue, cheeks, jaw, arms, or legs.
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Risperidone may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
• Dizziness may be more likely to occur when you rise from a sitting or lying position. Rise slowly to prevent dizziness and a possible fall.
• Avoid alcohol or use it with caution while taking risperidone. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking risperidone.
• Call your doctor immediately if you experience fever, sweating, severe muscle stiffness (rigidity), confusion, fast or irregular heart beat. These could be symptoms of a potentially fatal side effect called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).
• Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather and during exercise. Risperidone may increase the risk of heat stroke.
• Do not mix the liquid form of risperidone with cola or tea.

What is risperidone?
• Risperidone is an antipsychotic medication. It works by changing the effects of chemicals in your brain.
• Risperidone is used to manage the symptoms of psychotic disorders such as schizophrenia.
• Risperidone may also be used for purposes other than those listed in this medication guide.

Who should not take risperidone?
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you have
· had a heart attack, low blood pressure, an irregular heart-beat, or any other type of heart disease;
· epilepsy or another seizure disorder (or a history of this);
· ever been diagnosed with breast cancer;
· liver disease; or
· kidney disease.
• You may not be able to take risperidone, or you may require a lower dose or special monitoring during treatment if you have any of the conditions listed above.
• Risperidone is in the FDA pregnancy category C. This means that it is not known whether risperidone will harm an unborn baby. Do not take risperidone without first talking to your doctor if you are pregnant.
• It is not known whether risperidone passes into breast milk. Do not take risperidone without first talking to your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby.
• If you are over the age of 65, you may be more likely to experience side effects from risperidone. You may require a lower dose of this medication.

How should I take risperidone?
• Take risperidone exactly as directed by your doctor. If you do not understand these directions, ask your pharmacist, nurse, or doctor to explain them to you.
• Take each dose with a full glass of water.
• Risperidone can be taken with or without food or milk.
• Measure the liquid form of risperidone carefully and mix it with water, coffee, orange juice, or low-fat milk and drink it immediately.
• Do not mix the liquid form of risperidone with cola or tea.
• Do not stop taking risperidone without the approval of your doctor. It may be several weeks before you begin to feel better, and you may require continuous treatment for quite some time. Talk to your doctor before you stop taking this medication.
• Store risperidone at room temperature away from moisture, light, and heat. Do not allow the liquid form of risperidone to freeze.

What happens if I miss a dose?
• Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. However, if it is almost time for your next regularly scheduled dose, skip the missed dose and take the next one as directed. Do not take a double dose of this medication.

What happens if I overdose?
• Seek emergency medical treatment.
• Symptoms of a risperidone overdose include dizziness; drowsiness; increased heart rate; fainting; fever; sweating; muscle spasms; and uncontrollable movements of your arms, hands, tongue, face, or other body parts.

What should I avoid while taking risperidone?
• Use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Risperidone may cause dizziness or drowsiness. If you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities.
• Dizziness may be more likely to occur when you rise from a sitting or lying position. Rise slowly to prevent dizziness and a possible fall.
• Avoid alcohol or use it with caution while taking risperidone. Alcohol may increase drowsiness and dizziness while you are taking risperidone.
• Avoid becoming overheated in hot weather and during exercise. Risperidone may increase the risk of heat stroke.

What are the possible side effects of risperidone?
• Call your doctor immediately if you experience fever, sweating, severe muscle stiffness (rigidity), confusion, fast or irregular heart beat. These could be symptoms of a potentially fatal side effect called Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome (NMS).
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking risperidone and seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· uncontrollable movements of the tongue, face, lips, arms, or legs;
· muscle spasms of the face or neck;
· severe restlessness or tremor;
· severe drowsiness or fainting; or
· irregular or very fast heartbeat.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take risperidone and talk to your doctor if you experience
· mild restlessness, drowsiness, or tremor;
· insomnia;
· blurred vision;
· dizziness or headache; or
· nausea.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect risperidone?
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medicines:
· carbamazepine (Tegretol);
· clozapine (Clozaril);
· medicines used to treat Parkinson's Disease such as levodopa (Dopar, Larodopa, Sinemet, Atamet, others), bromocriptine (Parlodel, others), pergolide (Permax), pramipexole (Mirapex), or ropinirole (Requip), or;
· any medicine used to lower blood pressure.
• You may not be able to take risperidone, or you may require a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Risperidone may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine unless your doctor approves.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with risperidone. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Where can I get more information?
• Your pharmacist has additional information about risperidone written for health professionals that you may read.

EastCoastChris

This medication seemed to help my difficult child with his somewhat chaotic thinking. He seemed the most "normal" on this medication. His rage,was tempered and his cooperation improved.
He did gain some weight but we didn't think it outweighed the positives.

Faithful-Heart

This medication, I am told, can also be used at a mood stablizer with bipolar children and helps with aggression and voilent outbrusts. In Nate's case it also helps with the hyperness caused by anxiety/stress. Also Nate was hearing voices and sometimes seeing things and this stopped the voices. Right now they are not sure what is causing him to hear voices...I was told it could be due to the PTSD he has due to abuse by his dad or could be bipolar or sizophrenic.

Nate has not gained any weight due to this medications. He has grown quiet a bit, taller and gained some weight just from being a kid and growing but is still pretty skinny. The side effects he had at first were some stomach pain which went away pretty quickly and some on going problems with consiptation which he is prone to having problems with anyway.

Risperdal has made a HUGE different in Nate. He is able to focus and learn in Kindergarden. He is not attacking people or trying to hurt himself. He is much calmer and happier on it. Now yesertday he did have a bad rage and had to be restrained but this may be due to the Zoloft he was taking. If he does have bipolar, antidepressants can cause mania...which comes out in different ways with each child...can be grumpy, high, giddy, silly, ODD, hyper, aggressive and voilent.

The antidepressant was stop by his psychiatrist and the risperal increased a bit to try to get this under control. Nate also gets to sleep much early in the evenings with this medication since it makes him sleepy so he gets up earlier and has a more 'normal' routine in that way. He used to not beable to get to sleep until ten or 11 at night and sleep until that late the next day. Even if I tried to wake him earlier and get him to bed earlier the routine never stuck. Now it does with this medication.

Risperdal has really, really helped Nate alot. He can lead a more normal life and handle upsets much better. Been a life saver to me. /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My son started taking this medication about 4 mos ago. What an unbelievable difference. He has experienced no side effects while taking this medication, in fact, he has lost weight(weight that he gained while on Depakote). He seems very normal now. As of yet, hasn't experienced any break out behaviors. It seems to have totally curbed the anger and dangerously impulsive behavior. He's doing well at home, in school, socially(he's shy, but has a sweet girlfriend). We got him a gym membership, so the physical activity is really helping to keep the weight off.

This medication info thread is a great idea, Fran.

anotherday

Here is a link to consumer information at the manufacturer's web site, www.risperdal.com.

My difficult child has been on Risperdal for 10 months. He weighs 60 pounds and takes 0.5 mg mornings and evenings. Weight gain has not been a problem but he is also on Dexedrine for ADHD. Initially he experienced some nightmares, which lasted about two weeks.

Risperdal has been a very good medication for my difficult child. Before this medication he had tantrums at school, which included death threats to the teacher and violent rages at home. He hit, kicked and bit others almost everyday. We lived with frequent daily rages and I feared for my easy child's whom he often attacked.

Since beginning Risperdal there has not been a single incident at school and home behavior is much improved. He still does tantrum but it is shorter and less intense and my easy child's are now safe. This medication has been a lifesaver for our family.

On Risperdal difficult child seems to be less anxious and more flexible. His symptoms of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) are improved. We are finally able to use behavior modification techniques.

There are some very serious potential side effects of Risperdal. Please read up on the medication and know what to look for. I have to say the benefits far outweigh the risks for my son.

Elise

Hi Fran ..
I am sorry i don't have time to read all of the post tonite .. not enough hours in the day or weekend ..
My difficult child is taking this drug and when he started the psychiatrist gave him another medication to couner act the cramps its causes . .but i am not sure what it is and I don't have time to look it up .. I will do that tomorrow if someone has not posted that before then.
but the school doesn't think its helping ...
so back to the psychiatrist.
got to run .. goodnite :rolleyes:

JulieD

My difficult child had some severe side effects that caused her psychiatrist to take her off risperdal. They included stomach aches, headaches, feelings of "not feeling right", huge weight gain, and general sadness which we observed.
Unfortunately any benefits did not outway the bad effects.

Nancy