Roaches!

klmno

I spent the day running errands and shopping for stuff desparately needed. I am settling now for the evening and about 1/2 hour ago I had a roach crawl near my foot.

I. DO. NOT. LIVE. WITH. ROACHES.

I just leased this place- honestly it is very clean and well kept up. However, can I "force" them to exterminate for roaches and the owner pay the cost? It has been so many years since I have rented, I don't know. But the one thing I am sure of- there is never just one.

Mattsmom277

Heck NOOOO!!!! Roaches + me = LUNATIC!!

I hope your laws there protect you as a tenant. I'm sure they must. I'd be calling the landlord tomorrow to get ball rolling. In the meantime, be sure to keep all foods in tight sealed containers and clean up the very moment you are done when prepping food, no dishes left unwashed etc. YUCK! I had them in Toronto and I lost it.

H

HaoZi

*flashbacks to living in Florida and palmetto bugs* Those things just won't die without a lot of help. Luckily they don't generally come indoors except to escape heavy rain.

klmno

I emailed the realtor managing the property. She told me to file a "notice' and she'd get someone out here- a professional- to take care of it. Now all I have to do is figure how to file that notice.

H

HaoZi

She didn't bother giving you instructions on who to contact or anything? Yeesh.

klmno

I figured that might be because she and the owner are going to make sure it gets done. I'm ok with getting it documented with her that I reported it- as long as they take care of it quickly. But roaches, rodents, and snakes are things that I cannot live with. Period.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I'm guessing there is probably a "notice" form you can pick up in the manager's office to fill out. At least all the many years husband and I rented that is the way it was done. A good system because it documents that you requested it.

I can handle mice.............I don't like them and I do kill them but they don't freak me out. I can NOT tolerate a roach. *shudders*

klmno

Yeah- if I had to choose between one of the three I mentioned, it would be a rodent- mouse or opoossum. Preferably one in a cage as a pet. But roaches- they are at the bottome of the list! I like this place so hopefully they will follow thru and get rid of them quickly- very quickly! Since I only saw one I'm still thinking optimistc in that the place isn't overrun with them yet and a professional coming in can take care of it.

DammitJanet

It may well be you carried one in from either the storage unit or even in a grocery bag. I cant remember if you got a house, duplex or apt but the east coast especially south east is overrun by them. They are often brought in when you go to the grocery stores. If you are in a duplex or apt, then they can travel from one side to the other easily.

LittleDudesMom

k,

we require our tenants to give "notice" of any issue - for us, that just means put it in writing. There is no way we could keep documentation of everything that needs done without a paper trail. Once we get their notice/request, we fill out a work order, our property managing supervisor picks them up every other day (unless an emergency), and once done, then he signs off on it and returns it to the office - paper trail!

We spray every single on of our properties, both residential and commercial, monthly. Roaches don't stay where there is no food. I was under the impression this property had been vacant for months. You might have brought them from the storage unit or, I hate to say this, you live next door to a business that has food. It's pretty much a sure thing that there are bugs and/or rodents in the vicinity. Once you file the notice, ask them what their pest control schedule is - that way you can find out if they do spray monthly.

Oh, if it were me, even if they came and sprayed it's often hard to get rid of those in a "good hiding place". I would take the dogs to the park for a few hours and bomb the apartment. But that just me, I can't stand bugs!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

Jena

hi

sorry i'm late i've missed so much with-everyone else. roaches bite bigtime. i haven't read responses so i have no clue where you are with it. just take a deep breath, see if you can get an exterminator even and lay out money and deduct from rent and include a receipt stating i didnt' want to inconvenience you. if you hadn't already tried to reach the owner.

i had an apt years ago they were all over the door front door after i paid ton of money and rented it and it totally freaked out. i can handle mice, etc. yet roaches no way. long story short we had exterminator come do two sprays and problem was solved.

good luck!!! sorry....

klmno

I'm thinking the source is the market/deli next door, too. I just brought my first load from the storage bin today so that couldn't have been it. (I went this morning and just got back.) The place has been vacant and was exceptionally clean. A lot of things, especially in the kitchen, had just been replaced. Off course they can (and are) still here so it needs to be treated. The landlady/rep responded pretty quickly and now I know how she wants that notice submitted so I can do that this evening. Given how she handled it I feel a little bit better that it will be taken care of. I was afraid it might turn out to be a situation where they ignore things like this and then the place becomes so infested that it's almost impossible to get rid of them. Now with the deli next door, I can only hope that treating this house can keep them out. I agree about the dogs needing to be out when and for a few hours after it's done.

Lothlorien

OMGosh, I would have been up all night with the skeeves. I found one after husband brought in a box and left it on the foyer floor. About an hour later I saw one crawling on the wall. I couldn't sleep the rest of the night. I ran around the house with a can of Raid, spraying every corner, nick and cranny I could find. My husband laughs at me over that, but I really skeeve, big time, over them.

DDD

This makes no sense BUT many years ago when my Ex and I moved into an apartment that was pristine, by the way, we were overcome with roaches/palmetto bugs. I slept under a sheet and comforter to "hide". A friend in the complex told me that
they put old fashioned plugs in all sinks, tubs etc. and that ended the problem. Everybody (including me) thought that was
too funny for words BUT we bought plugs, stuck them in all drains and that was the end of our problem.

You have my sympathy and best wishes for a quick solution. DDD

klmno

TG I've only seen the one and I killed it with spray. I have an official notice into her now and really believe she'll get something done. I noted in my notice that they are probably coming from the deli and suggested that they get a treatment plan instead of a one-time spray for them. Yeah- I agree that the need to do a barrier around the exterior.

This has killed my whole delight in having a deli next door. LOL! But it sure was nice Sat evening when I was starting to grill out and realized that I'd forgotten to buy butter at the grocery for my baked potato. I was going to do without because I already changed into sweats and T-shirt- then I remembered I had a little market next door so I just walked over and bought my butter. I'm ok with packed goods, but I don't think I'll order their bbq sandwich or hot breakfast after all. I know it's probably typical at most restaurants but it's different after I get that vision.

DammitJanet

K...you can go buy a very good spray by someone...cant remember the name now...at the grocery store that comes in a blue bottle. Dark blue. It has a trigger that you just hold down and is continuous. It is not a can. It does a barrier. Maybe Raid? You spray it all around your inside and outside parameter. It lasts a long time. Only costs about 9 bucks a bottle and you can get refills to go on the top part which is the sprayer. That is what makes your hands hurt. Its really cool.

klmno

I had a VM from a pest prof this evening when I got home. I'll call him in the morning. Landlaady/rep is on her way over now to help me figure out how to light pilot light on water heater or see if some gause somewhere is set to have it run on "vacation" mode. So, I feel better that she's not going to be s lumlord and this will go ok, at least! The owner is going to pay for the chimney to be inspected so I can use the fireplace this winter.

scent of cedar

Well, here is something I read the other day. (We are in Florida now, and it is all too true about those darn palmetto bugs!) This was the suggestion: Mix powdered sugar, powdered borax, and baking soda in equal proportions. Put a small container somewhere where kids and pets cannot get into it. It is supposed to kill the roaches. If no borax, the suggestion was that the powdered sugar and baking soda should do the trick, too.

Barbara