ROFL...HOSPITAL Called...to be continued...

buddy

I was able to just eat like medicine for the first few days. I did eat a little over the last few but today, just super nauseated. OK until I think I should eat. I bought difficult child food and it just smelled awful. I think maybe pms too? I am all off schedule with all of this. For sure not preggers unless I am the chosen one! tomorrow I am going to force some oatmeal down. I have lots of reserve, tee hee, but that is not the way to lose, it is just so hard to eat.

L

Liahona

Wish I could switch you stress reactions. I eat everything in sight when stressed.

Glad someone there is playing with difficult child so it feels less like a punishment.

It is a tribute to you and the docs there that difficult child is liking it so well. If you guys hadn't of worked so hard (and you are still working hard) this could've turned out very different.

buddy

Usually I do too, eat more that is. But every once in a while when it is so over the top I lose my appetite.

so, here is my theory, not that it matters:
1. difficult child loves any new thing that has kids around...he doesn't read social cues well so doesn't really matter to him if they dont like him, he just wants to be a part of it.
2. he is so used to being in trouble every single day of his life that unless they were actually cruel to him, I dont think he would get super upset overall.
3. he gets lots of attention for some of the crazy things he says, especially outlandish things like that he is gonna beat the tar out of types of statements. (by the way he has not said anything like that to me for over a day and a half, only swearing when he is over stimulated like what the bleep kinds of things)

The Occupational Therapist (OT) that works there had me fill out a sensory profile last night (I think I have those things memorized) she was not there and I know the results from one from last april's evaluation is already in their records but I did it anyway. then she could see my comments on the actual protocol sheet. When I was done I thought, I bet no one who scores this is ever gonna want my life...does he sniff things, yes, is he ever not distracted when someone walks in??? nope does he have definate fears, several...on and on and on...

no call yet from nurse. she said she would call when he is actually asleep. she doesn't want him to get i a pattern of not sleeping. I am worried the new medication may be interfering. They said it usually makes folks sleep but since he is so sensitive to medications they are not counting anything out.

T

TeDo

Ok, now you have me crying. This whole thing is just so unfair to you and to him. I am glad they got to see what happens without the concerta. BUT, it is not YOUR responsibility to determine how much for how long. That is the doctor'S responsibility. Absolutely call the patient advocate and the State Ombudsman while you're at it. That is just NOT ok.

I do know how it is to not be able to eat when you're stressed, especially when you're carrying a lot of blame around. I like some of IC's suggestions. Personally, I would try foods that don't really have a strong smell. But then again, I have a very sensitive nose to boot. Take Care of YOURSELF or you won't be ANY good for difficult child!! Still sending {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}.

InsaneCdn

Buddy...

Nauseated... one of the worst things you can do is NOT eat. Likely, part of why you are nauseated is that your blood sugar is out of whack. So... some tips (from 12 months of morning sickness)...

Arrowroot cookies - really bland, super absorbant of stomach acid.
Plain bread - no butter or jam or anything, just bread - same reason.
Dry cereal... much on some cheerios?
Avoid milk, except maybe yogurt if you like it.
Plain steamed rice - white or brown.
Peppermint tea - with honey (good for the digestive system)

Once you can handle those, try adding a little protein, like maybe a boiled egg?

You might also consider Zantac (otc anti-acid tablet) - to break the cycle.

L

Liahona

OK how did you get 12 months of morning sickness? Pregnancy last 40 weeks.

I've found sucking on crystallized ginger helped with morning sickness/nausea.

InsaneCdn

OK how did you get 12 months of morning sickness? Pregnancy last 40 weeks.
:rofl:

I was just waiting for someone to ask...

Two pregnancies... sick for 9 months with one and 3 months with the other. By the second time around, I had a better idea of how to handle it.

And yes... ginger is another good one - in ANY form.

L

Liahona

All 9 months? Wow, that is awful. I get sick off and on all 9 months but its manageable (short times). Mostly when I'm not taking care of myself well.

Hope the yogurt works for ya buddy.

InsaneCdn

All 9 months? Wow, that is awful
Wasn't bad enough to stop me from trying again!
By about half way through, I was catching on and managing not bad... worked until the Friday of the weekend he was due... he was born the next week. But... absolutely HAD to keep that blood sugar up and consistent... all day, every day.

Handy to know, though... difficult child went through a rough patch where medications threw his digestive system out a bit... and he didn't feel like eating at all. Forced the issue (similar set of steps to what I posted above...) and it helps. So its not just morning sickness that these old tricks work for!

Last edited:

buddy

Just talked to night nurse. He has been sleeping since 945 and she said that she did go in before he fell asleep and asked him about feeling "fake" and he started to cry softly. He said he didn't want to talk about it. She just said to make sure he lets her know. he is not a cryer so that is truly heart breaking. she said i was like he choked it back and then she read him a book and he felt better. She said he could not remember any of hurting them. he kept asking why he was in trouble so they showed him and said he is not in trouble just being kept safe. He said ok and that he will try to stay in green tomorrow. poor kid. Now I am thinking we should just have gone ahead and really upped the first seizure medication before we did this. hard to know if this was all growth spurt or if the new medication is complicating things or withholding the medication caused such a change.... I'm scared theyre not gonna discharge him. I am so sad for him. can't sleep

InsaneCdn

Buddy...
Dr. Mom prescribes a nice warm bubble-bath or equivalent (some form of aromatherapy), a light snack, and some soft music in the background... and then off to sleep with you!

Not sleeping is just as bad as not eating.
And... you know that.

So... Dr. Mom also prescribes lots of {{hugs}}.
Especially ones from the board...

InsaneCdn

Yes, Buddy. You are. Probably not even sure exactly about what... because that is the nature of anxiety.

You just need to manage that anxiety level so it remains on the positive side of the ledger and doesn't drag you down.

Put a pad of paper and a pen and pencil beside your bed. Tell yourself its there, as you are going off to sleep. If you wake up with a panic-driven thought - or even just some important thing to remember - you can just write it down, and go back to sleep.

If you were closer, I'd lend you my worry dolls... those nesting ones? where you write out your worries, and put one or two into each doll for "safekeeping" for the night... and then you can pick up your worries again in the morning. Sometimes it helps even if you can just write those worries down somewhere...

more {{hugs}}

buddy

thanks, I have been writing in a notebook. the nurse really helped me sort thru my concerns. and she had several too which is really nice. I think they are really caring nicely for him. Just not a good place for him to be no matter what...may be the best of the choices but for a kid like him, just would be better at home if not for the medical issues. I am going to close the notebook, computer and take a benadryl. I dont like to but I am going to.

thanks for being a voice in the dark tonight. I needed it.

buddy

I went to sleep and only woke once before now. But of course I woke with aunt flo.... I thought maybe that was some of it too. I am so off schedule which only happens during times of stress (good or bad, like a vacation even). I sorted out things a little and really I just think to have a whole day with one issue after another and no power to do anything it go to me. Today if he is ok (gonna call in a minute) i will be taking him to therapeutic hb riding and to carve pumpkins at my sister's house. Thanks again for all the help. I learned a lot of lessons. Never do anything at a hospital on a weekend!

buddy

oh shoot, just called and he started out ok but a kid who walks away from difficult child because he is scared got cornered by him. difficult child thought he was just being mean and ignoring him. yesterday when I was there they as a group were telling difficult child that he made them sick etc. the kids he got along with have all been discharged. so now he is in his "no one will hurt me" mode. He has NEVER hurt another child, never been physical to another kid unless by accident like during a gross motor activity but not bully behavior. Please, dont let this be a start of something new he is picking up. I am gonna end up homeschooling this kid....... really hope this hasn't ruined the progress we have made over the years. He really needs the therapy riding, so hope he can calm so I can get him.

T

TeDo

The staff there allow the kids to talk to each other like that? If he does start "bullying" PLEASE remember that bullying may not be what is going on but that he might feel a need to defend himself against a perceived threat. He has issues reading social cues so he can certainly misunderstand something enough to feel he needs to defend himself.

I am glad you got some sleep. Have you eaten anything yet?? HHHMMMM??? You said the nurse had some concerns too. Do you mind sharing what some of her's were? I am just curious since she seems to be the only one that is communicating with you from what I'm understanding.