Rough morning

crazymama30

difficult child was in rare form this morning. While in the shower he took easy child's razor and shaved part of his arm. Did not hurt himself, but ruined easy child's razor. Was wound up and obnoxious all morning.

When I dropped him off at school I told him I would be at the school at 3:15 for the orientation for his after school boys' group. He was insistent that I did not go, and I was insistent that I did (looking back, I should have let it go). He got out of the car, slammed the door, punched the passenger side window and ran into school. Everone was staring at us, I drove off.

After school he is still wound, but better. We talked about the morning incident, what he could have done different and what I could have been different. Told him it is hard for mommies to let their kids grow up and be independent sometimes (even more so when they are difficult child's).

Now we are home, he is much calmer. Thankfully.

He went hunting with husband yesterday, and I am wondering if that is what set all this off? Being overtired, getting over excited, and all that jazz? It just seems that one little kink in his schedule and he is just way out of whack

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I wouldn't be surprised if the outing yesterday messed him up. The razor thing sounds like something my difficult child 2 would do :p It's so hard not to get sucked into their escalating energy when they are ramping up like that. I hope he gets some rest tonight and hopefully tomorrow will be a bit calmer for both of you.

crazymama30

I think it was the outing, and having husband being less than stable does not help either. difficult child was a lot better by the time I left for my evening job.

I feel so bad that I work so much, but there is really no alernative. Money just does not fall from the sky. husband just cannot give difficult child the structure and stability difficult child needs when husband cannot do it even for himself!

maril

You have your hands full! Many hugs to you. It sounds as though you handled the situation with your son quite well.

I understand how it can be a challenge to deal with the anger of difficult children. We have had window punching, door breaking, physical confrontations, and so on; things are better now, therapy, etc. I do believe being overstimulated, frustrated, and tired would contribute to out of control behavior. I encourage both my husband and DS to work on sleep issues and know it makes a difference when they are rested; to boot, both have short fuses.

Hope you can get some time away for yourself to relax, etc. :D

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Maybe this will make you chuckle - wm, at the age of 8, was wound up & apparently bored. Goodness a difficult child should be bored. Anyway he found husband's beard trimmer.

Did nothing to his chin nor his quite hairy arms but gave himself the most creative haircut. 3 strips of hair cut down to the scalp - the week of school pictures. OMG, you should have seen it.

I'm sorry difficult child was so agitated. For some reason I've yet to see a difficult child & hunting mix (but that's my small experience).

crazymama30

Well, at least the hair on his head is intact! That is a pretty good story Linda. I bet those are some pretty great school pictures!

I have been able to keep difficult child on a pretty good sleep schedule, luckily so far, knock on wood, it has not been too hard with him. husband is a mess with especially when it comes to sleep. He went to sleep finally this morning about 5am. He had been laying in the dark bedroom since midnight or so. I hope this gets better soon.

Maril, there are times I am so glad to drop difficult child off at school. The director did tell me when I picked him up yesterday that he had been really wound up yesterday morning, but must have pulled it together as difficult child did not end up in his office. I told him difficult child had a rough morning (no details) and that I was surprised they did not call me. I told him I did not have their phone number memorized like the previous school's. He said let's hope it does not get to that.

I agreed.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
The kink in the schedule is all too familiar. It is true though, you just wish they could go and do something out of the norm. Just go hunting and then go to School the next day without is completely whacking them out.

K is the same way. We have to watch her anytime we do something different.
Sometimes I just want to scream, "All we did was go to the movies!" Seriously!!!
You do have a lot going on... most times being the Uber Warrior Mom really gets you no Glory.
I'd nominate you for Mom of the year! :)

crazymama30

No, you guys are making me blush. I am really not that good, not even close.

I am impressed that the school did not call yesterday. Today he was a little amped up, but not like yesterday. He told I make too much money because we no longer qualify for free lunch, just reduced price lunches. He was actually upset, and wanted me to make less money because he was worried I would spend too much on his lunches at school! Kinda sweet, but kinda over the top. I told him we could swing .40$ a day for lunch, it would be ok and not to worry. I am not sure if he believes me, but we will see. Now as long as he does not use his lunch account money for the snack bar....

I think yesterday really kinda shocked me. He has never really been violent towards me....he has slammed doors and thrown things and hit his sister but it was never directed at me. He gave a look of pure death and punched the window yesterday. I hope this will not be a habit. I really think I should have dropped the conversation, but I kept pushing. Live and learn I guess.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I really think I should have dropped the conversation, but I kept pushing. Live and learn I guess.

Just as he needs to learn to manage his emotions better... a teaching moment for both of you, unfortunately. If it hadn't been you, it might have been a teacher later in the day that he would have unloaded on.

All our difficult child's will experience situations that rock their stability, but they have to eventually learn the skills to keep their emotions in check and hold it together. It's naturally going to be harder for them than for the average Joe, but they have to try. That's where a good therapist can be like gold in helping us teach them these skills.

(((Hugs)))