Rowdy The Espcape Artist

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This is Rowdy. As a pup he came by his name honestly. lol

rowdy_1.jpg

Rowdy will be 9 yrs old come mid july. He's our outside dog who lives in a fairly large kennel at the edge of our huge patio. Up until last fall Rowdy had a roof on his kennel built by sister in law. The years took their toll and the roof had to be removed because it wasn't doing him much good anymore and it was becoming a safety issue for him. (it was falling apart)

I don't have the funds for sister in law to build him another roof, nor do I have the funds to buy another kennel as this one wouldn't take a new roof, it's too old and worn out.

Unfortunately, the roof became necessary when Rowdy came to a neighbor's defence of a feral cat and quite literally jumped over the wall of his 6 foot kennel. This discovery had him escaping on a reg basis.

Can you guess what my Rowdy dog is up to?? Three times this week I've come home to Mr. Rowdy sitting on the front porch. Once he refused to let the mail lady deliver the mail. lol (he honestly wouldn't have bothered her, he was just warning her) Many more times we've discovered him on the front porch waiting for us in the mornings.

Yep. Rowdy is back to jumping his kennel. Although I'm pretty sure these days he's using his dog house as a jumping off point.

I'd love to keep him in our back yard. But he digs under the privacy fence and jumps the 6 foot fence at the gate. So, for the time being he is on a lead and stake set up in the yard with his dog house keeping him company. I don't like this set up. Nothing I can't stand more than seeing a dog tied out. I think it's mean.

But I don't know what to do with him. :greedy:

I was planning on buying him a new kennel and having sister in law build him a new roof with the income tax, but we didn't get it. I could bring him inside except there would be all sorts of dominence issues and I don't want that. Plus he is Big. Too much.

husband was going to dig a trench and pour cement under the fence to prevent him from digging out, but that doesn't help with the gate part of the fence, and we can't afford the cement at the moment either. ugh

Nichole and I were trying to size up the situation tonight. She suggested fastening a tarp tight over the top. I guess we'll try it, but the first rain will do that in as the weight of the water will cause it to sag. been there done that

Rowdy is a wanderer. One of those dogs who would've loved to live on a farm where he could roam. Because of this ALL our neighbors know him, and know where he belongs because I do try to walk him fairly regularly.

I think I'll give freecycle a shot and see if anyone has a kennel in decent shape they no longer want.

witzend

What a sweet boy, Lisa! Bubba used to climb on top of the compost heap to jump the fence. Which wasn't as bad as what would happen after he ate the rotting compost. EWWW! Talk about the worst smelling toots you have ever smelled!

Rowdy's pretty old to try bringing him in the house. He'd probably be really confused. Freecycle is a good idea. Maybe you could try some of the local vets to see if anyone who has lost a dog recently might have something for you.

Don't forget, you can post on the freecycle for things you want as well as for things you want to give away, so don't be shy about posting for "Dog Kennel Needed!" as well as looking for people who are giving one away or selling for cheap.

Abbey

Spork Queen
What an absolutely beautiful dog. I love big dogs and he seems to have some spirit. No real advice as when an animal is determined to do something...they'll find a way.

Abbey

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Hey, Lisa. I can't look at the picture (blocked at work) but here's what we did...

If you can get some rebar or other metal rod that's long enough, bend it in a small arc and put it over the kennel every couple of feet for the length of it with a "backbone" down the middle to hold them in place (weld or wire it), then put the tarp over that. Will keep the rain from destroying the tarp. I've done this before with a cattle panel, which would be easier unless you have a handy welder around (which we do). Cattle panels are about $25 at a farm store. Can help you find one if you need.

Then when Rowdy gets out of the habit of jumping and the tarp wears out (eventually, it will anyway, but it should last several months or longer with the supports under it), if you think you still need something, you can put a length of woven wire over the kennel. I have a ton lying around, wish you were close, I could give you some.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I don't have any suggestions but I had to tell you how much I love Rowdy's mischievous grin. What a doll!

Suz

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If you hang the tarp at an angle/on a slant with one end a bit higher, you won't have issues with the rain making it sag.

4sumrzn

OMG....what a gorgeous doggie!!!!!!! I think I would give the suggestions that have already been made a try ;) I'm in a similar situation with my Border Collie.....he can "hop" the fence like a deer if he wants to. I've gone against my beliefs & hook him up to the grill off & on during the day (mailman time, trash man) so he can still enjoy the warmer weather.

We had a dog when I was younger that was a digger & jumper...my Dad had a hole drilled through a bowling ball & tied cable through it....hooked her up. She would drag the ball around & finally figured out after so many jumps over the fence...the ball didn't go with her :) I always worry about the choking/hanging factor anytime the pups are tied up though.

VERY cool he waits on the porch...what a good boy!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We had a dog when I was younger that was a digger & jumper...my Dad had a hole drilled through a bowling ball & tied cable through it....hooked her up. She would drag the ball around & finally figured out after so many jumps over the fence...the ball didn't go with her

Oh, I can see it now......

Rowdy pulling a heavy bowling ball around the yard, and Molly running along side him trying like the devil to herd it with her nose! :rofl::rofl:

Well, 2 yard sales have advertised dog kennels. So maybe I'll get lucky tomorrow. Shari I'll also stop out at TSC and look to see if they have those panels.

Wiped Out

Staff member
No suggestions but what a beautiful dog!

I remember before we got our fence what an escape artist our Ella was. When we let her outside we used to have her on a lead chained to a stake. She would always escape.