$%)#@)$(##$ (S/O's job offer :( :( )

Mattsmom277

Suz, we didn't give the courier thing a second thought actually. We've just had a lockout at our national post that ended 2 weeks (or so) ago. The backlog of mail is insane. I'm awaiting items from our tax department that were posted a month ago. Worse, they are all checks. One for my tax refund and 2 for tax rebates that are owed to me. Using a courier right now is much more responsible than having the chance of having a letter stuck in a sorting center at the postal service.

The odd thing is that the person in HR never did return S/O's message he left. That we found odd. Is it strange that he would leave a voice mail saying that he had a couple of quick questions for her and would appreciate a call back? If it isn't strange, then is it strange to NOT get a call back? On another note, S/O had reason to speak to 2 of his references yesterday who said that yes the company had called them and the conversations were good ones. His former employer actually was shocked to hear that the job as no longer on offer and seemed confused too at the way this letter was worded. We may never know I suppose. Hopefully S/O can get hold of one particular friend who works for this company who might know something that changed in the company such as a lost contract or something.

Meanwhile we have to just plug away I suppose. It is good that both places he went yesterday are hiring and that one went so far as to say they were having a hard time filling their spots. We're preparing for a much less paying job, but at this stage I just want to see S/O find something he can enjoy and be proud of. He's such a "guy" about this kind of thing and I hate thinking of him thinking he's not pulling his weight which is a sore point for him. This time I'm reserving posting until he has a official offer in WRITING and a start date. Or heck, maybe I'm not going to post until he's BEGUN a new job.

TerryJ2

So sorry it ended up that way and that even the employees aren't sure.
I'm glad he's got other prospects, though. I know that the instant he takes another job, the first one will again be open. And they will be confused as to why he didn't show up for work. :twister2:

DDD

If it was based on age then I doubt there will be a callback or an explanation. Law suits are always feared. Hoping he gets something soon and ends up feeling thankful that he didn't get a job at a company that misrepresents. Hugs. DDD

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I expect the HR person/company figures the letter was sufficient and does not intend to discuss it further by phone or otherwise. Not getting a call back under these circumstances would not be unusual in the States.

Suz

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This just hoovers rocks.

Question - is there anything at all weird that might pop on a background check? For ages husband would apply, interview, be given materials and almost told when to report for work... Then NOTHING. We finally found out that BM's false allegations were popping up on his background checks. Two days after we got the last one closed, he interviewed - two days after that, they called and gave him the job. It only lasted a year, but... Fact was, it was false information coming up.

OR, if there is someone out there with the same name, who has a horrible online presence...

Mattsmom277

We were wondering if anything we had overlooked was casting a black cloud or something. Goes to show us we have to chill out perhaps and stop beating our heads. The HR woman called earlier today and was apologetic at being unable to contact S/O yesterday. She apologized profusely on behalf of the company. She explained that head office (THink its in Utah, I do know its in the US) sent a email saying NO MORE HIRING for now, and it only came on Monday. She said they felt horrible about it as they'd thought they were clear to do further hiring at this time. Apparently a few people had signed employment contracts then there was S/O who she had they HAD been intending to have in this week to sign HIS contract and begin work straight away. She assured him that even those recently signed employees who hadn't started yet unfortunately ALL are in the same boat as S/O and the local location is very upset at putting them in this position. After a brief chat, it was clear to them that S/O has to move ahead and seek a different position elsewhere, however being that this position was a superb position and following confirmation that he was a day away from signing a contract, he would be willing to consider an offer even if he finds other employment however at that stage if he did leave that place to go back to this company he would require time to give adequate notice. She understood completely and assured S/O that he, along with the 4 others in his position, will be the FIRST to be called when hiring is authorized again and their offers will remain in place even if they need a time period to give notice to another employer.

Much peace of mind today and glad she called back and explained. This also leaves us less depressed at him taking a less high up position and less pay elsewhere, as we know this company DOES want to employ him and they will at some point be in touch to offer him the position in writing.

For now we're hopeful he can find SOMETHING in his field and start some money flowing. He's got some good leads, and he hadn't been exploring them as this company had been number one on his wish list. So crossing fingers he finds something else, tout suite as well!

Malika

That's really good news, Mattsmom! And it's all very well you saying "we shouldn't have beat ourselves up" but what else are you going to do in the absence of all information? It might have been nice if the HR lady had contacted you first, before the form letter - but that's water under the bridge now. Anyway, your husband's morale must be boosted by this and I do hope a concrete job offer follows swiftly, as it surely will :)

DammitJanet

Well that makes sense if its coming out of the states right now. Our economy is still in the toilet in many places. Tony is having a tough time with construction and that is one of the things that really shows when stuff turns around. He does commercial work and when that is down, it is rough. It means we arent building new schools, hotels, hospitals, malls, buildings, etc. Supposedly in August he is going to start on an expansion to an airport so that is good.

Mattsmom277

That sounds like a good opportunity Janet! I hope it happens.

S/O's field of work involves the mining industry, namely product development, manufacturing of tools and machinery etc for various mining industries (gold, diamond, etc). This particular company is international and I'm sure most here would recognize the name, it is very global with many US locations and even I believe it is a fairly well known company in Australia. They work on every continent pretty much. The economy absolutely effects this industry when the economy suffers. In fact this company was laying off at the same time S/O's previous employer was, both the same type of company, both international etc.

The good thing is that where his previous company limited to certain sectors, this company has a broader scope meaning sometimes when similar companies are laying off and awaiting new contracts, often this company is still up and running. So that means less periods of layoff through the course of ones career. I'll be really glad when he DOES get in with this particular company. It also would be good to have at least 2 years with them before we start thinking of a transfer seeing as we are desperate to relocate. This company could mean staying with the same employer and even having relocation costs paid for. We plan to move across country, very rural, we're talking polar bear country (literally). The town we have our heart set on has a Polar Bear Jail set up downtown for a few months a year when the water opens up and they can't cross on their own to their summer territory. This would be the best job since it could see him getting a transfer to the area.

Until this place is ready to hire, I'm crossing fingers he just gets something. Not helped by Matt calling tonight and clearing about $400 just yesterday for the days work. My S/O is so proud of Matt, yet it reminds him he isn't earning.