sad news

K

Kjs

Chloe is SO trained, she know what she is suppose to do. Like, I have a bale of hay and would spread it out on the deck...but she knows she has to go down. We tried the towel but she lays down. She will let us carry her. But if you walk in she comes back up on the deck. A ramp. She won't walk on it.

We can't get Kenzie out for a walk. Everytime you put your shoes on Chloe comes hobbling over and just looks at you.

I talked to the original vet later tonight. He said HE has less than 3% failure rate. But he will not do it if families are not willing to do their part.

First of all, chloe weighs 72lbs. He won't touch her unless she loses 18 lbs. I said WHAT???? She will be 8 in april and has a thyroid problem which she takes medications for. He said when she was 2 she weighed 55 pounds. That is what he wants.

Second, she is not to be outside EVER unless she is on a leash. No running, No jumping, No steps. Absolutely none.

The recovery is 3 months. And these rules apply for the three months. No exceptions.

I had Chloe and Kenzie outside earlier. Chloe was laying down so I came in. Well, we live on a corner. Kind of. There is a house next to us but our yard goes beyond theirs. When someone walks their dogs down that street the dogs run to the back of our yard. And I heard them bark and Kenzie went running for the corner spot for a good view, and right behind her Chloe went running. ON three legs. But this kind of stress on her other leg will put her out.

Thanks for your thoughts. I told chloe. She whistled. She does that (through her nose) when she is being petted or being talked about.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I'm so sorry ~ I had to be there when our first dog, Libby, was euthanized. It was an agonizing decision yet I felt some semblance of peace as she passed away. She was no longer in pain.

Saying that, explaining to your children that this is a cycle of life. Dogs just do not live as long as humans (you don't have to go into the surgery decisons - just not necessary). The cycle of life.

My Sally is 13 - holding her own right now. I expect her to give out (her back hips are bad) sooner rather than later. I'm just hoping she makes it thru this year for kt & wm.

Again, I'm sorry.

SRL

I'm so sorry. My heart would be breaking too.

If the times comes that you do have to end her life gently and can't be there yourself, consider asking a friend. I had a friend who had to put down a cat and I didn't realize until after that she'd dropped her off because she (understandably) couldn't do it herself. I would have gladly--and sadly--stepped in for her.

I'm so sorry... in my humble opinion, our "fur babies" are very important members of our families. In fact, I love my "favorite sanity saver" with all my heart. My "favorite sanity saver" and I are very, very close. She knows what I want her to do without me having to say much. I always seem to know what she wants too.

She is going to be 8 soon and has some health problems. Every six months I have to have her liver enzymes checked. I have to bring her to the vet next week and I'm dreading it. I know I will feel as you do if the time comes when I have to make important decisions concerning her quality of life. I'm dreading this:sad-very:...

Please know I'm thinking of you and your precious "fur baby"... Hugs to both of you... WFEN

A torn ACL is not a death sentence. Most (not all) will self heal and show up later as arthritis.

If you can afford the surgery great, go for it. If you can not afford it Chloe will still be fine.

Don't let your vet or anyone else guilt you into doing something that you don't have the spare coin for.

Yes Chloe will have some discomfort while she's healing but she will heal.

Humans tear ACL's all the time and not all can afford to have it repaired. They live and usually end up with arthritis as they age.

Try to keep Chloe calm for a few weeks. She's gonna run if she wants to but try to curb it as much as you can without running yourself ragged.

Jiminy Cricket, what did they do before they learned how to do ACL surgery? Um....nothing and the dogs did fine.

Marguerite

Her weight will have been a factor in the tendon going out. It also pushes her risks up way high for the other one. She needs to lose weight. If she's not going to be getting the exercise she's used to, then even more will you need to restrict her calories. I'm sorry, there's no easy way to deal with that one.

But maybe, if you can work on her and help her lose the weight, she might begin to come good. Give her plenty of massage plus follow the vet's directions. Even if you opt for the surgery, she would have to lose the weight first. So who knows how things will go, as she loses the weight? She might begin to heal indpendnetly, especially if you can try to help her make the changes she needs to.

When I look back at my life with pets, the stand-out moments are the ones where we had to say goodbye. Often I didn't get to say goodbye, the animal was just whisked away as if they never had existed. I was never told what had happened (or some lie was told) and I often wondered, but was afraid to ask. The last time, I was told my dog had run away. He had in fact been hit by a car, I was finally told by my ex-brother in law six months later when he caught me going to the police to report a pedigreed dog probably stolen, plus putting up posters around the town (my parents had forbidden meto, but this was MY dog).
My parents thought they were sparing me the pain of having to face my pet's death. They were wrong. But they thought they were doing the right thing.

Years later, it still stands out in my memory - whatever happens, be open and truthful with your kids and where possibly involve them in the choices that must be made. Give them full information, including the financial situation. Frannkly, planning to do such surgery on an old, overweight dog is risky for so many reasons. Probably foolish for the same reasons. But there are always choices. I'm also with those who say, let the dog help you decide. She is the one who would have to go through any procedure, and it could be just too much to ask.

Marg