Sad Paul Newman news...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
He passed away last night :( I very much admired him for all the charitable work he has done over the years. One of the camps his foundation supports is for kids with chronic diseases, and our family has been very fortunate to be able to send difficult child 1 to it the past two years.

Very sad.

DammitJanet

I heard that this morning and was going to post it. I have always loved his work. Very sad day. He was one of the good guys.

nvts

My first crush! I loved his eyes, and his work...Ever since Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid...To this day when I hear "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head" I think of him and Katherine Ross on the bicycle.

I hope he's been an hour in heaven before the devil knew he was dead!

God Bless a truly decent human being!

Beth

What a class act....

He was truly one of a kind, and will be missed by many, many people whose lives he touched. He was a beautiful man and he lived a beautiful life.

Valerie

witzend

That's sad news! I have been watching the Warner Brother's story on PBS this week. What a good looking guy he was, and what a good soul! I'm really sorry to hear this.

Jena

it is sad, i was so disheartened when i learned that as well. yet he was so filled with pride and such a true person that he didn't even make headlines while he battled his cancer, instead he said i'm doing nicely. wow.

he lived a long life, survived the death of a child, had a great wife and died peacefully from what the papers said in his home wiht his family surrounding him. death is such a strange thing even still to me at my age. one minute a person is full of life next their just gone.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Class act says it perfectly.

I'm going into work and asking that they put a display of his products. I know it sounds silly, but he had such good intentions. A little bit helps.

Abbey

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I always told H that Paul Newman was my 'safety guy' in case things didn't work out with us, lol.

I am so sad about his passing.

I know he was 83 and had cancer and, well, he wouldn't live forever, but still...what a fine man, husband and father...all around.

I loved his quote to Playboy years ago when asked about straying from Joanne Woodward: "I have steak at home, why would I go out for hamburger." Is that not the kind of man any woman would want?

Years ago while doing some work on the road, a colleague (W) and I came upon his farmhouse in Westport. W was actually acquianted with Mr. Newman from years earlier and thought that maybe Mr. Newman would remember him, so he pulled into the driveway. W knew how much I loved him and his wife and was hopeful that he'd not only be there but would let us in (yeah, right!). Anyway, W rang the buzzer and a voice came on and when he tried to convince the guy that he was friends with Paul Newman...there was a click and then another voice came on and said, "Tell W that Mr. Newman says hello, but he's not available for visitors today." It sounded like him, but you know that could have all been in my head and probably was. Regardless...I was just excited to be that close to him. Hahah - how lame is that? It was a fun story to tell my H anyway.

A sad loss all around.

Abbey

Spork Queen
Ahhh, Jo!! What a story. Gosh, he had the most amazing eyes. I'm sure these celebs have to 'screen' everyone, but what an experience.

The best I have is picking up John Denver's trash many years ago in Aspen CO. Too long to tell, but that is my claim to fame. Whoo Hoo!!

Abbey

Nancy

He was born and raised in a suburb of cleveland and went to Kenyon, a small private college in Ohio, to which he has been very generous. My aunt and uncle lived in Connecticut very near where the Newman's lived and they often saw them around town and in their favorite restaurants. He was always very gracious to everyone they said.

My Mom always loved Paul Newman and made me watch any movie he was in. I grew to love him too. What a great actor and wonderful person.

Nancy