Safest, best way to rehome a beloved dog?

BusynMember

I'm trying to help an older lady who has a beloved pet, but her apartment complex was sold and now she can't keep her little chihuahua baby with her. It is a companion dog, her best friend, and a therapy dog that has all it's shots and is micro-chipped and spoiled. I told her NOT to take her to the pound, but I'm not sure what options she has as far as finding a GOOD home for the dog. I do know that it's a bad idea to give a dog away for free as they are sometimes used as bait dogs or other seedy reasons. There is the great rescue that took my dogs and found them all homes, and they are really picky about who can adopt from them. But you have a waiting list until there is space, and they charge a $150 surrender fee. I don't know that she has $150. I would help her pay, although I don't have it either, really. I'm such a softie when it comes to dogs because they love us so much and trust us so much and they don't understand when they are suddenly plunged into places like public shelters.

Although our local humane society almost never euthanizes for space, they are full right now and, frankly, the dogs don't do well when they are there for any length of time. Most of their day is in a cage and a few of the dogs just pace back and forth and it's heartbreaking. I was thinking of not volunteering anymore because it's so hard, but...somebody needs to help with the animals and the laundry. And it's hard for everyone.

Back to the original question...what would you do if you had to rehome a beloved pet? We actually paid the surrender fees just to make sure ours were treated well and adopted to good families, but not everyone is willing or able to pay. I'd take that doggy if I could, but we are only allowed to have three animals here, and we already do. Plus once we move, I'm sure we will be forced to hope the cat is not seen by the landlord...lol. She stays indoors and nobody even knows she is here :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
There are a wide variety of ways. A pet rescue is best because their requirements are strict for adoption. However an ad can be placed online via pet finders or craig's list ect.

But a rather high rehoming fee needs to be required and enforced. (at least over 50.00 is recommended)

Why? Because a new craze is puppy/dog "flipping". Persons will pose as a dog lover and adopt a dog/pup from an ad, throw them into a crate when they get them home where the animal is lucky to get food/water and remains until said person has a prospective buyer from their own ad (and yes, the fee is all the market will bare). Once they have a buyer they will finally feed/water/bathe (because they rarely even let them out to potty) the dog/pup and the adoptee receives a traumatized malnurished dog/pup that often is sick. Sadly, most dog/pups stuck in the flipping system die before ever reaching an actual home. A high rehoming fee greatly reduces the chances of her dog being snatched up by a flipper. These people are in it solely for profit.

Nichole has rehomed a few dogs over the past 2 yrs (not always her own). She requires a high fee to ward off flippers. She usually charges 75.00. As recently flippers (since folks are catching on to their scam) are willing to take a little less profit and pay lower rehoming fees. She learned the hard way. One of her beloved dogs Callie she thought she rehomed to a nice lady.......who turned out to be a dog flipper. Nichole found out when another woman, the very one who adopted Callie from the flipper, made her own post on craig's list IDing the flipper and when she posted Callie's photo of course Nichole recognized her immediately. Broke Nichole's heart. But in the end Callie has a fabulous loving home and Nichole keeps in touch with her new owner. Said flipper is facing animal cruelty and neglect charges and is STILL trying to flip dogs/pups. (pups are more popular the turn over is quicker)

BusynMember

Thank you. Actually, this woman is asking for $200. I think that's smart. She's in no rush. I talked to her today and am going to try to help her keep her dog. The only rescue I know of that is still taking dogs, and there is a waiting list as they will only have a minimum at a time, is New Life Pet Adoption and they charge over $300 per dog and they have a group of adopters who favor older/special needs animals. And they are obviously wealthier too. They are very picky about who gets their dogs. They always take them back too. But I don't think this woman really wants to give up her dog and I'm going to try to help her to keep her.

donna723

I would be VERY hesitant to place an ad, especially for "free" and especially on Craigslist. Too much chance of them falling in to the wrong hands. That's how they get a lot of the small dogs used as "bait" in the dog fighting rings. If she can't place the dog with someone she knows personally, the best thing is to contact a responsible breed-specific rescue organization. They screen potential adopters very carefully. Most even do home and vet checks before approval is given to adopt.

dstc_99

You said the dog is a therapy dog right? Is there not a way she could contact the therapy dog group and rehome within the group. She could also donate the dog to a facility where therapy dogs are welcome.

Is it a therapy dog for her? If thats the case can she prove medical necessity? If so she might be able to find a loophole to keep him.

Good luck~
:smile:

BusynMember

I misunderstood her the first time. Although she'd make a great therapy dog, she is HER therapy dog, which makes some potential for her to claim she has to have the dog...with a little help from her 'doctor.

We sure aren't putting her on Craigslist!!!

InsaneCdn

If it is necessary to re-home this dog, some rescue outfits allow for you to keep the dog while they screen for the new home etc. - instead of them taking the dog in. That way, the dog goes direct from home to home.

BusynMember

Well, the good news is, after doing some work together, it turns out she will not have to rehome this dog. I met her in a strange way and she sounded older on the phone than she really is. She is only in her 40s and suffered severe PTSD and has nobody to comfort her but the dog. We found a way to help her keep her best friend. I am very relieved for both the woman and her beloved pet.

Tiapet

Old Hand
Interesting thing one of the county shelters do here, though I don't like county shelters this one's policy on adoption is a good one. First you sign their lifelong contract. If you have to give up the animal you adopted from them for any reason you HAVE to give it back to them. You can not rehome it yourself under any circumstances. They do have a fee for adoption of course as well as the spay and neutering and shots. But the unique thing they do is the tattoo the animal with ID (yes they also microchip). You see a tattooed animal is easily identifiable anywhere, including out of state!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so glad she is able to keep her companion. I had a reply that didn't end up being posted, not sure why but it happens. I wondered if they actually could force her to get rid of the dog. First, if it was on her existing lease that the new mgmt took over, they must honor it. Even if it is not a therapy dog, she has lived there with her dog for x years and it would be grandfathered in. New mgmt can say that existing tenants cannot get a anew animal, that new tenants cannot have an animal, but they cannot say that an existing tenant cannot keep an animal that has been living there since before the sale of the property. Second, if the dog is her therapy dog, then her doctor could likely certify it or the group that helped train the dog could. After that, it is pretty much a seeing eye dog and no one could legally make her get rid of it.

The other suggestions are on rehoming. For those who might want to rehome a pet at some point, insist on a home inspection before AND after the adoption. After should be unscheduled but during daylight hours (for everyone's safety and so you can see signs that would not be visible in the dark). The agreement should say that you can remove the animal if you do not feel the home is a good environment for the animal or that the animal is being well cared for.

You also NEED to call animal control and ask the officers if there are any records of hoarding or abuse against the person who wants the animal, or any domestic violence convictions. DV because it is often accompanied by unreported animal abuse. I rehomed a bird a few years ago and before I committed to anyone, I called animal control. Boy was I glad I did because the first few people were hoarders. The officer could only tell me what was in public records, but it was enough to keep our bird out of awful hands.

Also ask the new owner to keep in touch. I get emails and photos of our bird even now, five years later. A flipper won't do it, but a real new owner will have ZERO problems wtih it. They will be reassured that your animal has not been abused because you are so caring and interested in the animal's welfare.

BusynMember

Sus, I misunderstood. I only just met this lady, but if a dog is in distress...and a loving owner...I WILL get involved and try to help...lol. New management is going to raise the rates if you have a pet and she didn't think she'd be able to afford to keep him, but clearly she wanted to. We looked it up and found that the rent raise isn't too bad and she can keep the dog. She is on disability for PTSD so money is tight, but that little pup and her are very tight. She is very happy to be able to keep her little Angel (Angel is her name :) )

Californiablonde

I just wanted to add a yayyy for her being able to keep the dog! I know that for me my animals are my therapy, and I would be devastated if I had to give one of them away. Back in April when we were looking for a new place to move, some of the apartments didn't allow pets. Right away I said no way and continued to look elsewhere. My boyfriend told me to just give the cat away (at the time we only had one) and get a cheaper place, but I would never agree to give away my furbaby. It took me a little bit longer to find an apartment that would accept our cat, but it was worth the wait. I am so glad there is a happy ending for this woman and her precious dog.