Sandy devastation~ Please check in! And circle of support, too.

DammitJanet

It keeps getting worse and worse for them up there. Now they are going to get another storm! And it is so darned cold.

buddy

My cousin said that he is still not able to go to work because it is in the part of the city without lights/heat etc. He said it is freezing and he is grateful for heat. He is going to continue working on his remodeling and offering his friends use of his shower etc. UGGG, that is a long time without power/water/etc.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
My brother and his family on LI are still without power and it is COLD!!! I feel for them, wish they could come on up to our house for a few days, but they can't leave their home. They have a fireplace, but that's it...and my sister in law is allergic so they can't really run it full time. Stinks!

B

Bunny

The Nor'easter is upon us. Long Island is getting more snow than we thought it would because the weather man said that the storm shifted to the east, which means that we're not getting a much of a direct hit from the storm, but we're getting colder winds, resulting in snow rather than rain. The worst of the storm is supposed to hit in a few hours. Please, please, please let us get through the storm without losing power again.

There are so many people who still have not had their power restored after the hurricane, and now they are getting snowed on! I have family in New Jersey and they were told that power "might" be restored this week. We came through with no damage. Just lost what was in the fridge/freezer.

DDD

I was "half" listening to the tv at work today and the topic was the power restoration effort etc. Maybe I heard wrong. I sure hope I heard wrong. on the other hand I really think I heard that in some areas power will not be restored until all the area residents have their homes inspected by a certified electrician ?? to make sure that it will be safe for the neighborhood to get power.

I'm a Floridian and have lived through extended power outages due to the frequent hurricanes but I don't get it. Is there maybe a connection between gas lines and electricity?? Yeah, I know I'm yankee ignorant but I don't understand why an entire neighborhood would have to be precertified.

Hoping I heard wrong. Hoping it is just stupidity (or lack of exposure) on my part. on the other hand I actually felt depressed after "half" hearing that criteria. Geez I would go nuts if my power was delayed because neighbors had left the State and/or couldn't afford an electrician. Tell me it ain't so. DDD

TerryJ2

Wow. Don't they have a mayor and city council? They should definitely be advocating for and getting FEMA money.
Devastating. It will take a long time to put that back together. After Isabel, we had power crews totally reassembling poles, transformers and lines from scratch. One by one. They must have done a good job because we lose power far less than when we first moved it. I hope that this neighborhood's wait is worth it (if there is such a thing) and that the intrastructure is better. I wonder if those cars will start at all or if the engines were totally immersed?
I'm also wondering if the line of houses will be moved back, since there is sand everywhere, it changes the actual location of that neighborhood.

B

Bunny

Some people feel that the Rockaways are not getting the attention that they need because they are on the lower end of the socio-economic scale. All of the upscale neighborhoods are being helped first.

As far as Long Island goes, the governoe is FURIOUS with LIPA (the power company). They were unprepared. They are using a 25 year old computer system. They did not bring in enough equipment and supplies, like new utility poles, prior to the storm. They did not keep up with maintenance on it's power lines and transformers. They were asked to cut bck trees and branches that were hanging over power lines before the storm, but chose not to do it. The Suffolk County Executive pretty much took over the work crews that were out in the county this weekend because LIPA management has been so slow in responding to getting power back on. husband's elderly aunt and uncle are STILL without power and it's 13 days after the storm. The are where they live was not flooded. They just haven't gotten to them yet. It's crazy.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
FEMA refuses to help my cousin whose home was trashed in Island Park, NY. Their explanation :"you have flood insurance", well the insurance is gvt run.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Well, that is just ****. As an insurance adjuster I can tell you that the insurance will try everything they can following a catastrophic event like this with multiple claims to pay or discount as much as possible. on the other hand, after the hurricanes in FL, most insurance companies were very liberal with coverage (which may explain why some went under afterwards and caused panic throughout the industry for future events). I hope that your cousin's insurance comes through. He/She can make another claim for FEMA in the event the insurance does not cover as much as it should.

B

Bunny

Wow bunny, what a mess. How did the next storm affect you guys other than school closing again?

We were lucky that we didn't lose power in the Nor'easter, although I was absolutely paranoid that we would. There are places that lost power a second time. LIPA says that those people have to wait until people who lost power in the hurricane get their power back first, but that isn't always the way it happens. There are still ALOT of people without power from the hurricane. One of the boys on easy child's football team just got power back yesterday.

Lothlorien

We lost power during the Noreaster and didn't get it back until Friday night. Most of us down here in Central and South Jersey have power back now, some were still getting it back last night.

What's really crazy is that people have to register with the town to go on a bus over the bridge to the barrier island, just so they can spend 2 hours cleaning up. TWO hours??? That's nothing! It's just not enough time. And while they are doing this, National Guard is standing over them. Clean up crews are desperately needed.

Other things that I'm seeing are areas where there might have been an old gas station or an old building that was knocked down have now become staging areas for all the trash. Dump trucks are pouring into these empty lots and just dumping, for now.

We volunteered at a church at the shore the other day. We served food and organized donations. These people are exhausted and cold and were coming in to get supplies in pajamas, because that's all they had to wear.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Its just sad all of the devistation and lack of services. We here in Ca are constantly indundated with announcements about what to do when our big one hits (and with all of the EQ's lately everywhere its got a lot of people nervous and probably with good cause) With the mess of Katrina and the storms in NY and surrounding areas, I have pretty much come to the conclusion that we will be on our own for a while. Everyone is sitting on a fault line of one kind or another :(

Marcie