Sandy, the "super" storm...........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know we have members in the path of this storm. I hope each of you heed the warnings and prep as much as possible before it hits.

I have family members that are supposed to be affected, to what degree remains to be seen as time goes on and predictions become more accurate.

I will be keeping all of you in my prayers.

What I find frustrating is...............I'm not getting much "news" of this storm. Seems politics rule at the moment and I don't have the patience to sit through that garbage to get to what I want to hear. What are they telling you all locally??

Be safe.

Hugs

witzend

Good luck to you all, and stay safe! Whichever way you are voting, if there is early voting available to you, do it now. You never know what kind of havoc Sandy is going to play in your community!

Mom2oddson

I heard that Sandy was going to dump snow as far as Ohio. But who knows, the weather people like to do the worst case scenerio thing.

What I heard last night was that all the models are showing Sandy hitting land. None of them have her heading back out to sea.

Calamity Jane

Hi Hound,
I'm in NJ, and our local weather forecasters are saying that the "cone of uncertainty" is showing, on both american and european models, that the coast, somewhere between the Del-Mar-Va peninsula and Boston will get a direct hit. However, due to the size of the storm, the radiating winds, erosion, rain, etc. will have a serious effect on that entire area. Additionally, the extraordinary high tide will be in effect during the storm, which will make things worse. They are talking about an orderly shutdown on the NYC subway system. They haven't been talking about the possibility of snow for us that much, because they need to see how that storm system coming from the west will interact with this hurricane.
So, they're advising everyone to gas up the car, get cash out of ATMs, batteries, flashlights, stock up on bottled water and non-perishable food. The supermarkets, gas stations and banks around here are going to be a mess this weekend! I feel bad for all the little pumpkins who might get skunked again this Halloween. Last year, they had to postpone trick-or-treat. As long as everyone stays safe...that's the most important thing.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thank you Jane! I swear that is the first real news I've gotten, and I appreciate it. Family is busy gathering supplies for the storm so don't have much time to keep me updated.

greenrene

We've been under a tropical storm warning which ends sometime tomorrow. Schools here are closed today due to the weather.

DammitJanet

We have been under tropical storm warnings since late yesterday night and will probably most of today. Sandy is skirting NC today. While we are inland she is going over me right now. Not a ton of wind and right but 30 mph but it will hit about 40mph tonight. It looks like it will hit into Difficult Child and above later tomorrow it looks like. What is very scary is that it appears it is going to take a major hit either on NYC or just below it. If the eye goes right over NYC that is the best news because the storm surge will be more to the right hand side, if it hits just slightly lower in NJ, NYC is going to be hit hard. And like they are saying this is no Irene. This one is happening and coming. There is no doubt.

pasajes4

My family is in Baltimore. I hope that they have taken precautions. This is scary for sure. I hate that the news always makes everything seem so dire. Then again maybe that's what it takes to get folks moving. May the powers that be keep everyone out of harms way.

DammitJanet

Well people have a really bad habit of thinking that anything under a Cat 3 Hurricane is nothing down here and we can just sit out on our porches and sip mixed drinks with little umbrellas in them. I think we have gotten a bit lazy because it has been a long time since we have been directly hit and even with all the hurricanes we have had hit our coastal areas, memories are very short. If you werent directly impacted, it was just a news story. If all you had was a bit of leaves and debris, well it was just an exciting event.

I have gone through many of them and we evacuated for one quite serious one that hit us dead on then left, we went home and it turned around and came back to hit us again. We got an emergency evacuation in the middle of the night into a shelter because we lived a block off the beach. Odd thing was we left an empty beer can sitting upright on the steps leading to the second story of the building from the outside and it was still there when we got home...unharmed. LOL. I think we would have been fine.

People especially up north havent been through this stuff because they didnt used to do this. They got the bad nor'easters but not the hurricanes moving up the coast. When I lived in Richmond my entire childhood I never once heard of a hurricane coming through there. Now they have had several. Weather has changed.

tiredmommy

We should get blustery wings and rain here.... just a tropical low, I think. We're well inland. People are more worried about their Halloween decorations and if this will impact trick-or-treating. My only concern is that we still have a lot of leaves on the trees and if the track shifts it won't take much wet snow to cause tree limbs to break and cause massive power outage. We actually have a slow moving low going through the area that will meet up with Sandy... that's when things get dicey.

LittleDudesMom

Yeah TM, the leaves are a concern around here - although I'm sure most of your trees are done falling while only about 1/2 of ours are. So we have the double whammy of the remaining leaves acting like sails during strong wind and toppling trees, and the fallen leaves acting like damns and backing up our city sewer and drain systems!

However, the forecast changes hourly! Seems like we will have wind (up to 50 mph gusts) and rain for about two days. I just have a case of water, batteries (which I keep in my hurricane/ice storm box anyway) - will make sure difficult child charges his handhelds and fill up a second gas can for the generator just in case later today...... I'm not being fanatical about the prep, just being smart.

Positive thoughts for those of you in the direct path.

Sharon

TerryJ2

It's supposed to hit Delaware on Tuesday. Looks like it will hit N VA and we will just get a lot of rain. One of the local municipalities spent the entire week cleaning leaves and debris from the drains, gutters and ditches in preparation. Glad to see them planning ahead!
Time to take in my fairies ... we will get a lot of rain and a bit of wind but I think it will be more like a Nor'easter. Unpredictable as far as which way the wind will blow and what the temp will be.
It should hit us Monday so I suspect that since we're in a coastal flood area, the schools will be closed because the buses won't be able to navigate.
I've got a full tank of gas in the car, lots of groceries, and extra water and batteries.
Good luck, everyone!

DammitJanet

I can tell the lil wonder is around. My joints and trigger points are on fire.

This sucker has to get out of here by tomorrow evening because I am supposed to go pick up a free couch and love seat that someone is giving me off freecycle...lol.

TerryJ2

We finished battening down the hatches and bringing in the fairies.

Chicken in the oven, ready to make rice and corn. A bit of rain, mostly drizzle so far, and only a few gusts of wind, nothing more than a regular yucky day. Got a text from the Gov saying that VA should be prepared no matter what. We will still have tidal flooding but that's in low-lying areas.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I think we will be putting away the glass picnic tables, etc. tomorrow and I'll pull the mums, etc., in so they don't blow over. Not sure what we will get up here,but they have been reporting that the wind field is around 900 miles wide, so it will cover a lot of areas at once. Thankfully, or not so thankfully depending on what you like, most of the leaves have fallen off our trees already. We still have widow makers all over the place-those may come down if the winds are strong enough!

Stay safe! Think I'll run to the store in the morning...the pharmacies and gas stations were crazy today!! H thinks that we probably have enough food to last a month...might not be so delicious, lol, but we'd survive!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
We are Northeast of Baltimore. Our emergency management people left a message that this might be a three day event here! They are turning daughter's high school gym into a shelter for those who have nowhere to go. I'm not happy that husband was unable to get the generator started today. I'm a couponer and freezer is brimming with meats, etc.

Husband is so Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) that he even took apart our granite birdbath. Like 80MPH could knock over something that heavy.

Lothlorien

Got the gas cans filled and generator ready.....and wine. I've had the week from hell with end of month business craziness. I'm relaxing. I have four appts on Monday that look like they are going to have to be rescheduled, cause the governor has already called State of Emergency. My sis lives on the barrier islands and she's evacuating to a co-worker's house. Irene knocked power out for 10 days here. I'm expecting nothing less from Sandy. Sigh.

DammitJanet

I know I was a worrywort with Irene and you guys thought I was a nut but this one has the capacity to be even worse. Irene just went straight up the coast and skirted the coast. This one isnt doing that. It is skirting the coast and then turning to take a lovely left jab straight into some of the most populated areas of our country. And it is meeting up with that cold front coming in. Anyone remember the movie The Perfect Storm? That storm really happened and the movie was based on it. The storm happened in the early 90's.

Jamie is really worried about this one because of the emergency news they are sharing with the people who will be on the front lines. He has gone on call as of last night and will stay on call until this is over. He is also the designated driver for all of his county for disaster driving so he has the big truck. It is big enough to get through about anything and built like a tank.

I hope by the morning the idiot governor in NYC has updated and decided to at least do a voluntary evacuation. Telling people they will be fine and there will be no flooding is idiotic to me...and some of the folks on The Weather Channel.