Sandy, the "super" storm...........

pasajes4

Watching the weather this morning. I am going to call my sister in Glenburnie (sp) and hope she picks up so I can find out her plans. She has two huge dogs that don't travel well. I hope she does not plan on hunkering down if they are supposed to evacuate the area.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
3S and anyone else who needs the info, to help keep foods in freezers frozen during power outages:

Fill 2 liter bottles with water (or whatever containers you have on hand that will fit) put them into the freezers NOW to freeze solid. If power gets cut off these containers will act as "ice" and help keep the freezer cold much longer than otherwise.

If it's an extended outage and the temps are cold enough, and you notice the freezers/frig is warming up, remove the contents and store in boxes out in the cold.

Yes, sort of "common sense" ideas, but you'd be surprised at how often it slips folks minds to do so simply because we're so used to modern appliances.

The winter we moved into this house we had the ice storm from hades hit..........right at xmas (so of course frig and freezer were full) The water jugs helped for a couple of days. Then Fred looked at me like I was insane because I hunted all over the house for empty boxes..........then put everything out onto the enclosed back porch/family room that is unheated. We didn't lose a thing.

Nice thing about the water jug method, keeping them in a freezer that is not otherwise full makes it work more efficiently and cheaper, plus should you need it......you have extra drinkable water on hand. :)

I realize often it seems storms like these are as much hype as anything else. Personally, I'd rather be ridiculously over prepared, than be sitting in the middle of one badly needing something that there was no way to get. Seems around here, storms (of any kind) that get poo pooed kick our rears and catch people unprepared. So I'd rather have a lot of hype and have the storm weaken or miss, than them telling me ohhh, nothing to worry about folks.........and be stuck in my house for a few weeks.

Another thing I do; organize all emergency supplies (flashlights, candles, lanterns, emergency radios ect) where you can reach them easily and in the dark. We're really not supposed to see anything, I don't think, from this storm but it reminded me I needed to do that again as all the sorting of the giant hoard and prepping for the yard sale got everything moved around and it was no longer easy to get to. All of mine is right outside the kitchen door on shelves out on the enclosed backporch/family room. I don't have to look for anything. Also, there are several candles in the kitchen with matches and those long candle lighters and flash lights. These are also strategically placed through out the house. We can be caught in any room suddenly without power and have light to see by in under 30 secs. (this is NICE by the way during night power outages) Those battery powered xmas candles make great lighting for children's rooms or for children to carry to see as they walk around the house at night. (and they're cheap)

If for any reason you want/need to use a propane stove to heat the inside, please crack a window about an inch in the room for proper ventilation. (better not to try heating that way though) There is a propane heater that can be safely used inside without venting, but you have to look for it.

I added the heating info because for some this storm is supposed to mix with a winter storm, which can mean snow and ice.

This is just a few things that helped us.

Hugs

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Lol, Hound! One of the reasons we moved to Maryland is the mild weather straight through Halloween and I've been buying tons of sales perishables because of your warning about the drought we have had. The freezer is so full I don't think you could fit a mouse in there. We did use the water bottle technique during Irene and it helped a lot.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It being full will have the same effect. :)

Both of my freezers are full to the max too. I couldn't put a jug of water in them to save my life. But the deep freeze does have 2 gallons of milk in it. lol

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Expecting lots of power outages here in the Richmond area, from the winds/downed trees. Just par for the course with these storms here. Some flooding in low-lying areas probably, too. Mayor declared a "state of emergency" in the city. Winds are already gusting to 20-25 mph, no rain yet though. I'm ready! Luckily I"m on the grid with a firehouse behind me, so I shouldn't lose power for as long as some. Grateful there are no large trees near my house, either.

Jody

Please be safe. I am hoping they are really wrong about this storm and that we get a pittance of what they are talking about. Praying for everyone in the affected areas.

tiredmommy

Kinda annoyed. husband left the wheelbarrow and solar cover in the yard. Refuses to put them away...

I cleared the patio. He just won't do it.

And... he managed to lose Duckie's flashlight. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but now I've got an anxious kid who isn't comfortable with the "new" flashlight I ran out for today. Ugh!!!!

Nancy

Lisa I remember that ice storm. I also heard yesterday you can fill plastic bags, the zip kind, with water and freeze it if you don't have bottles.

Last edited:

I am driving through nc near south of the border on my way to Atlantic city. We will be home 6am monday. We have to hurry home and secure house. Work has been cancelled until Wednesday. AC has been evacuated. My easy child s were sent home from college until Wednesday. If we can't drive all night, we hope to get a hotel room. I hope we can find gas. I think once we get home, we will be fine. husband and I flew down to Florida Friday to clean out my brothers apt. We driving my brothers truck back ang giving it to difficult child. I can't type on this phone, sorry for the errors. I hope everyone is safe

tiredmommy

So... I've talked husband into getting a small portable generator in case power goes out. Our biggest issue here is the rain coming in on saturated ground coupled with a power outage leading to basement flooding. Of course, they were all sold out locally. I suspect extra inventory has been sent downstate.

But I made a few calls into Niagara Falls, ON and located a store with several in stock. It took us just over an hour to get there due to traffic crossing the border. When we got there, the young man I had spoken to said that he saw them start to fly off the shelf, but knowing we were coming, he stuck one in the back room for us! And... it was on sale!

buddy

Hoping ktlc's husband is not out driving anywhere when /if it hits. Praying everyone in the CD family stays safe and is not inconvenienced too much.

pasajes4

My mom is visiting my sister in Baltimore. My brother in law is trying to get back there from PA. The nieces have been updating on fb. They both said that so far there has not even been much rain. They expect it to hit in the morning or early afternoon. I hope all of our cd families in the path of this storm will be safe and warm.

DammitJanet

I am just fine but I am upset that UAN went right by my house and didnt stop to have a bite to eat with me! LOL... When she said she was driving by South of the Border in NC she was exactly 17 miles from my door.

Nancy

It's been raining for three straight days here and this is just the front that is going to meet Sandy somewhere over Pennsylvania probably and make one big rain system. We are suppose to have rain until next Friday.

tiredmommy

Nancy~ We've had rain since late Friday evening. And four out of five of the major models actually have the storm track inland right over Buffalo. Crazy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Nancy..........depending on which map they show, they're now saying snow.........and lots of it. I'm not sure which is worse. ugh Although if it rains, we won't flood.......I'm on a sort of hill.....high ground. I only got to catch the "snow" map twice during 2 hrs.........darn it. I'm hoping I read it wrong.

Just got told by my mom I have older bro stuck in the north east somewhere, when she called he was driving his 18 wheeler trying to keep it on the road, he told her he couldn't talk because of the storm.......now she just gets sent to voice mail. I told her he may have issues with cell reception and needs both hands to drive.

TM, Way To Go on the generator! Here?? Propane is sold out. wth?? Does someone know something I don't? Or did they see that same snow map I did? I'm going out to top off supplies in the morning and fill the gas tank just in case. Batting down Rowdy's kennel and filling it with straw, preparing a good shelter for the stray cats in case they don't take refuge with Rowdy as usual or we have to bring him inside for some reason. This year I can bring him in, I purchased a crate large enough for a st. bernard. lol I'm hoping I don't "need" any of it, but it will make me feel better none the less, at least for the sake of the animals. Actually, Travis and I are set rather well.

JANET!!! I would have loved to visit with you, I stopped near there in Lumberton at Lowes's and bought a generator. It rode in the front seat, and husband and I shared the drivers seat. I knew you lived somewhere there but didn't want to impose. We contemplated staying the night there and wait for the storm to end. At the moment,I'm home and it's a storm outside. The coast gaurd is in Atlantic City, it's been evacuated-along with the barrier islands. We are about a mile from the bay. It is supposed to be bad here. At least we have a generator. I doubt I'll be going to work on Wednesday, one of the schools in my distrct is an emergency shelter, last time something like this happened it took awhile for the people to be sent home. I hope all of us in the states of emergency stay safe!!!! Keep in touch and update us!